The GLAM-Wiki US Consortium
The GLAM-Wiki US Consortium brings together cultural organizations, Wikipedians, Wikimedia chapters, and individuals in an independent community of practice devoted to supporting the GLAM-Wikimedia initiative in the United States.
This professional network facilitates "GLAMs helping GLAMs," allowing cultural organizations to work together and with Wikipedians to discuss ideas, share resources, partner on projects, establish best practices, and collectively support one another in pursuits of Wikimedia and related projects.
All GLAM-Wiki US Consortium members:
- Are committed to the Wikimedia Foundation's values and mission to "empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally."
- Are committed to the values and ethics of the cultural professions—especially the values of intellectual freedom, equal access to collections, responsible stewardship of materials, public engagement, and education—as laid out in the SAA's Core Values for Archivists and Code of Ethics for Archivists, AAM's Ethics, Standards, and Best Practices for Museums, and ALA's Ethics of the American Library Association.
- Believe that, as stewards of cultural heritage, both cultural institutions and Wikipedia have a duty to promote free access and use of cultural works they preserve. While recognizing that copyrighted cultural works play an important role in our work, we believe in the principles of the open access movement (as expressed in the IFLA Statement on open access). In particular, the advent of the Internet and the rise of a digital information commons demands that institutions strive to produce digital copies of their works, and that they do so while ensuring, through all legal and practical means, downstream use.
- Believe that the missions and interests of both Wikimedia and cultural institutions can be met without compromise if both communities actively collaborate in a spirit of openness and empathy for each other's interests. Wikipedia should strive to become a welcoming and safe place for cultural institutions and professionals, while cultural institutions and professionals should be full, participating members of the Wikipedia online community.
- Previously, Wikipedians have been the first to approach cultural organizations with a vision for GLAM-Wiki partnerships. Now cultural organizations and Wikipedians should collectively take ownership of the GLAM-Wiki initiative.
- Cultural organizations have established their own expertise in this realm and can work together with Wikipedians to centralize resources and support for ongoing and future GLAM-Wiki partnerships.
- Cultural organizations that have created a successful partnership with Wikipedia are best positioned to address concerns and help guide other cultural organizations in their first steps toward such partnerships.
The GLAM-Wiki US Consortium is engaging, relevant, and useful to both cultural professionals and Wikipedians who have taken part in or who are interested in GLAM-Wikimedia partnerships.
Advisory Group Members
The GLAM-Wiki US Consortium maintains an advisory group made up of around six cultural professionals and six Wikipedians who, over the course of the next year, will focus on formalizing the core aims of the Consortium in congruence with all participants.
If your institution or organization is interested in being a part of the Consortium, please add the institution and your name below.
- The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, Contacts: Lori Phillips & David Donaldson
- National Archives and Records Administration, Contacts: Dominic McDevitt-Parks & Pam Wright
- OCLC Research, Contacts: Max Klein & Merrilee Proffitt
- School of Open, Open Policy Institute, Creative Commons, Contact: Jane Park
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Contact: Sara Snyder
- Internet Archive, Contacts: Peter Brantley & Brewster Kahle
- The Open Knowledge Foundation, OpenGLAM Contact: Joris Pekel & Sam Leon
- Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, Contact: Micah Walter
- American Folk Art Museum, Contact: Karley Klopfenstein
- The Walters Art Museum, Contact: Dylan Kinnett
- Smithsonian Institution Archives, Contact: Effie Kapsalis
- Your organization here.
If you are a Wikipedian, cultural professional, or are otherwise interested in the Consortium, please sign up below, share your thoughts on the talk page, and join the mailing list.
- dcplumer (Danielle Cunniff Plumer)
- FloNight♥♥♥♥ (Sydney Poore)
- Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits (based in UK, but willing to help with QRpedia; templates/infoboxes; microformats)
- Cindamuse (Cindy)
- Jgmikulay (talk) 14:48, 25 July 2012 (UTC)
- Another Believer
- Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 20:17, 25 July 2012 (UTC)
- DGG ( talk ) 04:56, 27 July 2012 (UTC)
- Hildabast (talk) 00:32, 7 August 2012 (UTC)
- – SJ + 20:43, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
- Angie McNew
- Greg G (talk)
- Rosalina523 (talk)
- Fernpenelope (talk)
- SarahStierch (talk) 20:50, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
- James Michael DuPont (talk) 13:32, 9 February 2013 (UTC)
- Kristephanie 22:10, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
- Bdcousineau (talk)
- Kevin Gorman (talk) 18:34, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
- Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 13:09, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
- Bides time (talk) 23:00, 7 June 2013 (UTC)
- Molly Schwartzburg, UVA Special Collections aka Leofstan (talk) 02:02, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
- PKM (talk)
- Thelmadatter (talk)
- Smallbones(smalltalk) 17:15, 27 June 2013 (UTC)
- I, JethroBT drop me a line 19:09, 30 August 2013 (UTC)
- Preston stone (talk) 04:12, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- Giaccai (talk) 10:01, 4 February 2014 (UTC) I live in Italy and am interested to learn from your experience
- Geraldshields11 (talk) 21:09, 20 February 2014 (UTC)
- Elizabeth Thomsen (talk) 22:58, 11 June 2014 (UTC)
- Tod Robbins (talk) 22:52, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
- Peaceray (talk) 04:38, 23 October 2014 (UTC) I am in Seattle area, former part-time univ. ref. librarian, member of Cascadia Wikimedians & SAM.
- CQ -- • Q^#o • 18:28, 18 June 2015 (UTC)
- Touzrimounir (talk) 21:06, 7 August 2015 (UTC)
- Tokyogirl79 (｡◕‿◕｡) 09:11, 20 August 2015 (UTC)
- Les733 (talk) 16:45, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
- User:Rwelean (talk) 1 February 2016 coordinator of Wikipedia initiatives at Brigham Young University
- Ngc15 (talk) 14:58, 18 March (UTC) Brooklyn Museum Digital Lab
- DrMel (talk) 21:18, 17 May 2016 (UTC) Organizer - WikiCon USA/SoCal 2016, San Diego and SoCal User Group
- Rosiestep (talk) 18:52, 13 June 2016 (UTC)
- MBlairMartin (talk) 16:49, 23 June 2016 (UTC)
- AmandaRR123 (talk) 15:20, 18 August 2017 (UTC)
- JogiAsad (talk) 23:21, 4 May 2018 (UTC), I live in Sindh and am interested to learn GLAM and make awareness about the GLAM in Pakistan
- Musebrarian (talk) 17:15, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Jason Heppler (talk) 19:09, 7 August 2018 (UTC)