From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This page is an essay, containing the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors. Essays are not Wikipedia policies or guidelines. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints.|
Wikipedia has articles and stubs that require merging, that have duplicate references, and that are orphans.
Integrate these three factors by organised:
Let's integrate, let's make it easier to find and maintain data: build it and they will come!
- Search various categories for stub articles. Stub articles belonging to a specific category with minimal content should be merged into a meta-article covering that subject matter.
- Rather than delete old pages, redirects should be employed to reduce the chance of users making an article for the same subject. Furthermore, if the stub does have a chance to move beyond stub status, the article can be re-developed on its own merits as a category member.
- Duplicate references should be identified by human or bot as a method of detecting merge-candidates, or overlooked category members. Furthermore, duplicate references that are required should be converted to a template that would appear uniformly on all category member pages.
- Parent categories of significant volume should be reasonably sub categorised. Template:CatDiffuse explains this process.
- Templates should be used to eliminate redundant content within category articles.
- Templates should also be used to link together disparate articles that relate to each other, but may not always be in the same category. See Wikipedia:WikiProject_Succession_Box_Standardization/Templates for suitable templates.
- Integration is white matter: it links together elements for processing.
- Integration is government in the sunshine: it keeps things in the open and not obscure.
- Integration may require ion thrusters: they're slow, but effective and efficient.
Practical ways to help
- Wikipedia:Proposed mergers — help form consensus about proposed mergers
- Wikipedia:Articles for deletion — if you !vote for an article to be merged at AfD, then please let the closing editor know whether you'd be willing to merge the articles yourself. Just "* Volunteer" to help!
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Proposed Deletion Patrolling — help editors preserve any valuable material in the Category:All articles proposed for deletion
Example articles that were created from meta-merging
- ITU V-Series is an article created from the merging of 20+ related stubs.
- Created from several articles in Category:Fictional aircraft: Fictional military aircraft
- Created from Microsoft Windows stubs: Windows Text-to-Speech; Easter eggs in Microsoft products; Windows library files; Windows Vista Startup Process; Windows audio components; Common menus in Microsoft Windows
- Created from orphan, stub, and full articles in Category:Revelation Space: Characters in Revelation Space; Factions in Revelation Space; Locations in Revelation Space; Races in Revelation Space; Technology in Revelation Space
- Association of Mergist Wikipedians
- Wikipedia:Cleanup process
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Stub sorting
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Red Link Recovery
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Categories
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Orphanage
- Wikipedia:Dead-end pages
- Category:Uncategorized pages
- Category:Navigational templates
- Wikipedia:Build the web
- Wikipedia:Content forking
- Template:Move portions and Template:Move portions from