Wikipedia:Junior and assistant administrators
|This is a failed proposal.
This proposal is to create two intermediate stages between regular users and administrators, for the following purposes:
- To make it easier for trustworthy and qualified Wikipedians to become administrators, by letting them do so in stages.
The working titles for these intermediate ranks are junior administrator and assistant administrator.
Junior administrators would be able to help fight vandalism while proving their good judgement and trustworthiness. They would be able to:
- Add or remove non-cascading semi-protection.
- Add or remove anon-only blocking of IP address ranges.
- Apply the bot flag to users and/or IP addresses.
- Possibly edit protected pages, but not protect or unprotect.
- Possibly view, but not restore, deleted pages.
As their working title suggests, assistant administrators would be able to help administrators out and reduce their load while demonstrating their readiness for full adminship. It would also be an option for those who wanted to avoid the controversies that full administrators tend to attract. They could perform all administrative work except the two most-often controversial functions: deleting pages, and fully blocking user accounts and IP ranges. This would mean they would have all the powers of a junior administrator plus the ability to:
- Protect and unprotect pages.
- View and probably restore deleted pages.
- Probably unblock users.