Wikipedia:List of free online resources
|WikiProject Resource Exchange|
The following list is meant to help you with your own research, by offering links to respectable information sources on the web, available free of charge. Inclusion on the list doesn't automatically mean the absolute truth is on these websites, so always be critical and compare information between different sources.
The content of the subsections is alphabetically organized.
Please add free online sources if you know some that are missing in this list, but try to keep it relevant and trustworthy.
- 1 General resources and link lists
- 2 Newspapers and news agencies
- 3 Biographies
- 4 Information and library science
- 5 Philosophy
- 6 Science, mathematics, medicine & nature
- 7 Social sciences
- 8 Sports
- 9 See also
- Wikiversity - sister project that provides information on most academic subjects
- Footnote - historic documents through their partnerships with The National Archives, the Library of Congress and other institutions (partly free)
- Google Scholar (web site) - provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature
- ipl2 (web site) - merger of the collections of resources from the Internet Public Library (IPL) and the Librarians' Internet Index (LII) websites, hosted by Drexel University College of Information Science and Technology
- Refdesk - free and family-friendly web site that indexes and reviews quality, credible, and current web-based resources
- XooxleAnswers Research - professional research service offers free research for small (circa 15-minute) projects as a means of introducing its services.
- DeepDyve - big archive of literary and scholarly journal articles; free five-minute full-text previews.
Searching for photographs by content
Resources for sourcing and searching for photographs by the content that is depicted. Though the search engines may be accessed for free, indexed images themselves may be under restricted license.
- Google Books (web site) - Searchable archive of magazines and books (some full-text, including photograph captions and references to photographs from related articles and content).
- United States Library of Congress (web site) - Searchable archive of historic photographs, maps, performing arts, newspapers.
- Life (magazine) Photo Gallery Archives (web site) - Searchable archive of photographs of news and sporting events, celebrities, travel.
- NASA Images (web site) - Searchable archive of aeronautics, space and space exploration photographs.
- Pexels (web site) - Public domain photographs
- LibreShot (web site) - CC-BY-SA 2.0 photographs
Newspapers and news agencies
- Aljazeera (web site) - in Arabic and English
- Asia Times Online (web site)
- Associated Press (web site)
- The Australian (web site)
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (web site)
- BBC Online (web site)
- CBS News (web site)
- CNN (web site)
- The Daily Telegraph (web site)
- Fox News Network (web site)
- The Arabian Post (web site)
- The Guardian (web site)
- Haaretz (web site)
- The New York Times (web site)
- NPR (web site) - National Public Radio
- PBS News (web site)
- People's Daily (web site) - in Chinese, English, French and Spanish
- PRI (web site) - Public Radio International
- Reuters (web site)
- Russia Beyond the Headlines (web site)
- Tehran Times (web site)
- Xinhua News Agency (web site)
- Free Newspaper Archives - comprehensive list of free, historical archives in the U.S.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography (web site) - over 10,000 scholarly biographies of persons who were significant in Australian history
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography (web site) - biographies devoted to people who have played an significant role in what is now Canada, who died between the years 1000 and 1930 or whose last known date of activity falls within these years
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (web site) - collection of more than 57,000 specially written biographies, which describe the lives of people who shaped the history of the British Isles and beyond from the 4th century BC to the 21st century. Login is required to access, and it's not strictly free - however, if you're in the UK, entering your library card number will almost certainly get you in. Many libraries elsewhere in the world also have unrestricted access.
- Project Gutenbergs' very large collection of free, public-domain Biographies
Information and library science
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISTA) (web site) - from EBSCO Publishing, the bibliographic database covers librarianship, classification, and information management, and indexes nearly 600 periodicals, plus books, research reports, and proceedings
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy (web site)
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (web site)
- University of San Diego (web site) - Ethics Updates, resources and updates on current literature, both popular and professional, that relates to ethics
Science, mathematics, medicine & nature
- 4researchers.org - practical "how-to" information (articles, videos, presentations, and courses) about conducting research - funding, research design, study management, dissemination, career advancement, and more.
- E!Science News (web site) - aggregated news source from major science outlets and universities
- PhysOrg (web site)
- Science Daily (web site) - latest science news
- California Agriculture (web site) - peer-reviewed journal, reporting research, reviews and news from the University of California and its Agriculture and Natural Resources division
- '''CaneInfo''' (web site) - an exclusive online resource on sugarcane agriculture from Sugarcane Breeding Institute, INDIA.
Biology and Medicine
- Open Biology (web site) - biology on the cellular level
- Entrez (web site) - Life Sciences search engine from the National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Global Health Observatory (GHO) (web site) - portal providing critical data and analyses for key health themes, as well as direct access to the full database, including the WHO Statistical Information System (WHOSIS)
- PubMed (web site) - comprises more than 19 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books from the United States National Library of Medicine (includes: PLOS ONE, Nutrition Journal)
- arXiv (web site) - math/science archive
- Encyclopedia of Mathematics (web site)
- MathWorld (web site)
- PlanetMath (web site)
- Nutrition Journal (web site) - human nutrition journal by means of ethical guidelines
- Project Gutenberg's public domain books on Nutrition
- European Space Agency (web site) - ESA
- NASA (web site)
- Space.com (web site) - space news
- Internet Archive collection of historic NASA films, in the public domain
Technology & computer science
- The Association for History and Computing - organisation dedicated to the use of computers in historical research
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) - resource for students, educators, researchers, and the public for access to NASA's current and historical technical literature since it was first released in 1994
- Website Safety and Reputation Analyzer - a free tool able to analyze websites reputation and show safety information
- Website Social Media Analyzer - a free tool able to analyze websites features, social media impact and audience
- RankW - a free service that collects and analyzes all the information about a site.
- Free website Analyzer - is a free online service that collects information about domains and keywords for which they were optimized.
- People-video-review - search and get video review from real people.
- American Enterprise Institute: private, not-for-profit institution dedicated to research and education on issues of government, politics, economics, and social welfare.
- Fernand Braudel Center: the Study of Economies, Historical Systems, and Civilizations.
- Glossary of Selected Social Science Computing Terms and Social Science Data Terms
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research: free access for general social survey and national election survey.
- National Geographic Society (web site)
- OECD: Economic, social, and infrastructure data on industrialized countries.
- The Overseas Young Chinese Forum (OYCF): "The Overseas Young Chinese Forum (OYCF) is established for overseas young Chinese to exchange their views on social, economic, political and cultural issues concerning China and to develop common aspirations through regular discussions."
- World-Systems Archive
- World Values Survey : "The World Values Survey is a worldwide investigation of sociocultural and political change. It has carried out representative national surveys of the basic values and beliefs of publics in more than 65 societies on all six inhabited continents, containing almost 80 percent of the world's population."
- UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division: world population data and trends.
- United Nations Human Development Report Office
- ALLBUS Data Service: online archive of German General Social Survey data. Free download - for scientific purposes - of high quality data on attitudes, behavior, and social structure in Germany.
- Project Gutenberg's shelf of historic, public domain Anthropology Books
- Library of Congress Resource Links on Anthropology
- The Economist
- Index of Economic Freedom: from The Heritage Foundation/Wall Street Journal.
- International Monetary Fund: IMF research and links to World Economic Outlook.
- Review of Radical Political Economics: "The Review of Radical Political Economics (RRPE) publishes articles on radical political economic theory and applied analysis from a wide variety of theoretical traditions: Marxist, institutionalist, post Keynesian, and feminist. RRPE is published by Sage Publications."
- UNDP World Income Inequality Database
- UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) FAOSTAT International data on food production, land use, nutrition.
- World Bank: World Development Indicators database.
Geography, places and travel
- BBC News: Country Profiles - includes audio and video clips
- The Canadian Encyclopedia (web site) (also in French)
- ELDIS: Country and Regional Profiles - a family of knowledge services from the Institute of Development Studies, Sussex
- Eurostat (web site) - statistics on European Union countries
- Federal Research Division: Country Studies - from the Library of Congress, published between 1988 and 1998, information on some countries may no longer be up to date
- The World Factbook (web site) - published by the Central Intelligence Agency of the U.S.
- Wikibooks: World History from Wikibooks, a Wikimedia Foundation project
- EuroDocs: Online Sources for European History: Wiki collection of primary source historical records from Western Europe, hosted by the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University.
- Talessman's Atlas of World History: Collection of world history maps ranging from ancient to modern times, by amateur historian Thomas Lessman
- The Historical Atlas of South Asia by Joseph Schwartzberg.
- Euratlas historical maps of Europe.
- National, State & Local Newspaper Archives - Collection of free newspaper archives in the United States, from the XooxleAnswers professional online research service.
- The History Guide - Material for high school (particularly AP European History) and undergraduate students. Includes lectures on Ancient and Medieval European History, Early Modern European History, Modern European Intellectual History, and 20th Century Europe
- Lectures in Medieval History - Lecture notes by Dr. Lynn H. Nelson, Professor Emeritus of Medieval History at the University of Kansas.
- African Court of Justice (web site) - African Union
- Coalition for the International Criminal Court (web site)
- Amnesty International: human rights.
- European Union law (web site)
- Human Rights Watch
- International Court of Justice (web site) - (ICJ) United Nations' judicial body
- International Criminal Court (web site) - ICC is in Hague, Netherlands governed by the Rome Statute
- Law Library of Congress (web site) - United States Internet Law Library of Congress
- Adam Carr's Election Archive: User:Adam Carr maintains the world's largest online archive of election statistics from every democratic country in the world.
- Reports and publications of the Brookings Institution, public policy think tank in Washington, D.C.
- Reports and publications of the Cato Institute, public policy think-tank headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- Reports and publications of the Center for American Progress, public policy think tank in Washington, D.C.
- EULib: large, searchable collection of official European Union news and documents.
- Foreign Affairs: periodical published by the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Foreign Policy: a leading quarterly of international affairs.
- Glossary of Political Economy Terms
- Hoover Institution: "a public policy research center devoted to advanced study of politics, economics, and political economy—both domestic and foreign—as well as international affairs."
- The Jamestown Foundation "The Jamestown Foundation's mission is to contribute to U.S. understanding of its strategic adversaries that pose a threat to democracy and freedom."
- : Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, Woodrow Wilson Center: think-tank on political, social, and economic issues affecting Russia and other successor states to the Soviet Union.
- Marxists Internet Archive - Collection of primary source documents
- Monthly Review: independent socialist journal.
- New Left Review: a key journal of the international Left.
- Paul Hensel's International Relations Data Site
- The Socialist Register
- Psychology's Feminist Voices (web site) - Collection of first-hand accounts of feminist psychologists (videos, interviews, profiles)
- The Catholic Encyclopedia
- Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages (ancient and medieval Hindu, Buddhist and Jain texts)
- Internet Sacred Text Archive
- The British Library's complete collection of sacred texts
- Project Gutenberg's extensive shelf of historic, public domain Religious Texts
- American College of Sports Medicine (web site) - American Collge of Sports Medicine
- ESPN (web site)
- Free Internet Chess Server
- the Kinesiology Network (web site) - the Kinesiology Network
- LA84 Foundation (web site) - digital resources include academic journals, scholarly books, popular sports magazines of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and an extensive offering of Olympic publications
- NBC Sports (web site) - has a history of broadcasting professional sports, including Olympics
- Sports Dietitians Australia (web site) - sports nutrition
- Sports Illustrated (web site)
- Wikipedia:Reliable sources/Noticeboard
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Resource Exchange - a project where Wikipedians offer to search in their resources for the reference that you are looking for
- Wiktionary:Wiktionary:Other dictionaries on the Web