What's it about?
An Edit-a-thon is an all-day attempt to improve Wikipedia's coverage of a particular topic. Led by an experienced Wikipedia editor, participants learn to create and edit pages, correct mistakes, add references, and upload photos. Complete beginners are welcome; training and troubleshooting is provided. This edit-a-thon is being hosted by the University of Auckland, and will focus on adding information on the New Zealand insects depicted on the Insects of New Zealand Playing Cards.
When and where
- Sunday 3 September 2017, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm NZST (2 September 2017, 22:00 – 3 September 2017 04:00 UTC/GMT)
- University of Auckland Tāmaki Campus, 261 Morrin Road, St Johns, Auckland
- Building 733, Room 234 (we will send you a map and parking info)
- Participants from anywhere in the world are welcome to join in remotely, using #NZInsectCards in tweets and edit summaries (Wikipedia can search for the #NZInsectCards hashtag now).
- 10:00: Meet and greet, setup, account creation if needed
- 10:15–12:00: Intro: how to create and edit species articles on Wikipedia.
- Lunch break (pizza); there'll also be refreshments available all day. Let us know your dietary preferences when you register.
- 12:30–16:00: Wikipedia editing. Our goal is for beginners to create stub articles for every species depicted on the Insects of New Zealand cards, and to improve existing species pages. Experienced Wikipedia editors will be available to help and troubleshoot.
How to sign up
The Edit-a-thon is free and open to all; we would love you to register and make a commitment to coming, so we can make sure the venue will house everybody and we order enough pizza.
You can book online by filling out this Google form. Any questions? Contact Chrissie Painting <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
What to bring
- Laptop and power cord. The venue will have free wifi.
- Any books, journals, magazine or newspaper articles relevant to pages you're interested in.
- Photos you've taken that could illustrate species articles; you'll learn how to donate these to the Commons so other Wikipedia articles can use them.
- If you're coming, try to create a Wikipedia account beforehand: don't wait until the day to do it! Here's a form you can use. Creating an account makes editing much easier (here's more info on why you should). You'll need to pick a "handle" for your username; you could use your real name, but it's nice to have the option to be a bit anonymous if you want. Here's some advice on picking a username.
- Read up on Wikipedia: there are lots of tutorials, like the Wikipedia Adventure, and useful guides, like the Editing Wikipedia brochure.
- Have a think about any species you'd like to work on. Check the articles in our To Do list below for any obvious mistakes or problems. Maybe even do a little research first so you're prepared. You don't have to be an entomologist; anyone who can do library research and write clearly can contribute to Wikipedia. The best references for Wikipedia articles are news stories, textbooks, or magazine articles. Look for secondary sources like field guides and popular books that discuss that species, not just scientific papers.
- We'll also need photos, and those need to be free of any copyright or released under a Creative Commons license that lets anyone use them. If you're not familiar with Creative Commons, see Useful Links below. If you've taken species photos and are happy to donate them, great! Bring them along. If you know of anyone who has good photos, approach them and ask them if they'd like their work to be seen and used by people all over the world (with them credited, of course).
Guides to editing
- How to create a species stub article in Wikipedia: notes for this editathon
- Editing Wikipedia Species Articles guide (aimed at students, but still useful)
- How to edit pages using the Visual Editor: for when you click Edit
- Information about Creative Commons, Wikimedia Commons, and crowdsourced photos, harrychapman.nz
- Suggested layout of beetle articles; Suggested layout of lepidoptera articles: helpful for all insect articles.
Insect species to work on
These have been assessed by Giantflightlessbirds and Ambrosia10, taking the Assessing articles guidelines into account. Many articles need good photos, and most need more information. Please feel free to make suggestions on article Talk pages, adopt an article you plan to work on, and approach people you think might have photographs. We've noted places where there are problems with the taxonomy, and would appreciate entomologists suggesting the best solution (but hold off diving in and starting to move and rename articles before you've talked to us!)
|Order||Species common name||Species Latin name||Quality||Notes|
|Lepidoptera||New Zealand red admiral||Vanessa gonerilla||Start||Taxonomy section; better photos|
|Diptera||New Zealand blue blowfly||Calliphora quadrimaculata||Start||Poorly written student essay, no photo only drawing.|
|Orthoptera||Small field cricket||Bobilla||Stub||No species pages created; needs photo, (no appropriately licensed one found).|
|Plecoptera||Large green stonefly||Stenoperla||Stub||Added several photos to commons.|
|Coleoptera||Rove beetle||Kenocoelus||Stub||Expand. Difficulty finding images, (no appropriately licensed one found).|
|Lepidoptera||Common blue||Zizina otis labradus||C||Needs NZ info, distribution, ecology. Have added one photo to wikicommons.|
|Coleoptera||Manuka beetle||Pyronota festiva||C||Poor student essay; refs, more photos. Added more photos to Wikicommons.|
|Hemiptera||Chorus cicada||Amphipsalta zelandica||Stub||Needs an edit, more pics, cleanup|
|Hymenoptera||Sphecoid wasp||Rhopalum perforator||Stub||Expansion needed.|
|Lepidoptera||Carpet moth||Xanthorhoe bulbulata||Stub||Expansion needed. More refs.|
|Coleoptera||Huhu beetle||Prionoplus reticularis||Stub||Needs good refs, photos, much expansion – the most-viewed NZ beetle page, 1338 views/month!|
|Lepidoptera||Puriri moth||Aenetus virescens||Stub||Expand, more photos (esp. larva, burrows)|
|Mantodea||New Zealand praying mantis||Orthodera novaezealandiae||Start||Rewrite, fix refs, more on NZ vs introduced S African sp|
|Lepidoptera||Lichen moth||Declana atronivea||Start||Just some expansion to get to A-class|
|Hemiptera||Australasian shield bug||Glaucias amyoti||Stub||Needs photos and much expansion|
|Hymenoptera||Southern ant||Monomorium antarcticum||Stub||More pics, refs, expansion|
|Hymenoptera||Striated ant||Huberia striata||Stub||Needs expansion.|
|Hymenoptera||Ant||Pachycondyla castaneicolor||Stub||Actually Austroponera? Needs more info.|
|Hemiptera||Water boatman||Sigara arguta||Stub||Expansion needed. More references.|
|Odonata||Red damselfly||Xanthocnemis zealandica||Stub||Better refs and nice photos. Added some more photos to Wikicommons, more also available here|
|Coleoptera||Diving beetle||Rhantus plantaris||Stub||Was moved in April 2017 to Carabdytes:|
|Diptera||New Zealand mosquito||Culiseta novaezealandiae||Stub||Difficulty finding images.|
|Coleoptera||New Zealand dung beetle||Saphobius inflatipes||Stub||see Canthonini. Difficulty finding images.|
|Neuroptera||Antlion lacewing||Weeleus acutus||Stub||Needs expansion. More images. More refs.|
|Lepidoptera||New Zealand jaw moth||Sabatinca aurella||Stub||Currently in Micropardalis aurella so could be moved. Better photo!|
|Hymenoptera||Lemon tree borer parasite||Xanthocryptus novozealandicus||Stub||Could be expanded to Start|
|Orthoptera||Tree wētā||Hemideina thoracica||Stub||Ridiculously, masses of wētā are missing! See Tree weta. Needs expansion.|
|Coleoptera||Tiger beetle||Cicindela||C||Has the subg. Cicindela (Neocicindela) been raised to genus Neocicindela? One NZ article Cicindela tuberculata - should this be Neocicindela tuberculata now? See Larochelle and Larivière 2013, 2016|
|Coleoptera||Squeaking longhorn||Hexatricha pulverulenta||Stub||Need more references, ecology, photos|
|Coleoptera||Ant-like leaf beetle||Xylophilus luniger||To create: check Xylophilus genus. Need to confirm current name before creating. Is it now Aderus luniger , |
|Blattodea||Native bush cockroach||Celatoblatta||Stub||Expansion & images needed. No species articles yet. C. vulgaris is the most common NZ species.|
|Megaloptera||Dobsonfly||Archichauliodes diversus||Start||General cleanup, larva photo|
|Hemiptera||Spittle bug||Carystoterpa fingens||Stub||Needs expanding. Needs images. Several images have been added to Wikicommons.|
|Coleoptera||Ground beetle||Ctenognathus||Stub||No species pages created.|
|Hymenoptera||Native bee||Leioproctus fulvescens||Stub||Just some expansion to get to start. More refs.|
|Diptera||West coast black fly||Austrosimulium ungulatum||Stub||Having difficulty finding images. Expansion needed.|
|Phasmatodea||New Zealand stick insect||Clitarchus hookeri||Stub||Expand, more photos.|
|Coleoptera||Helms' stag beetle||Geodorcus helmsi||C||Needs expansion to get to A class|
|Diptera||Green soldier fly||Beris||Stub||General expansion. Add citations. Image|
|Odonata||New Zealand bush giant dragonfly||Uropetala carovei||Start||Expansion needed. More pics.|
|Lepidoptera||Kūmara moth||Agrius convolvuli||Start||Expand.|
|Dermaptera||Seashore earwig||Anisolabis littorea||Stub||Expand. Needs images.|
|Hemiptera||Sooty beech scale insect||Ultracoelostoma assimile||Stub||Expand. One CC BY image in iNaturalist but blurry. Need images.|
|Hymenoptera||Masked bee||Hylaeus agilis||Stub||General expansion and photos|
|Orthoptera||Alpine grasshopper||Sigaus australis||Start||Expand. Type info section needed in prose.|
|Diptera||Three-lined hover fly||Helophilus seelandicus||Stub||Expand. Needs images.|
|Diptera||Kelp fly||Chaetocoelopa littoralis||Stub||Expand. Having difficulty finding images.|
|Diptera||Fungus gnat/Glow worm||Arachnocampa luminosa||Start||Expand, more citations, pics. Taxonomy.|
|Ephemeroptera||Swimming mayfly||Nesameletus ornatus||Stub||Needs significant expanding and images.|
|Coleoptera||Canterbury knobbled weevil||Hadramphus tuberculatus||Stub||Expand, more photos (Ambrosia10 can't find any), see see see|
|Coleoptera||Black spined weevil||Scolopterus||Stub||Scolopterus penicillatus exists|
|Orthoptera||Cave wētā||Pachyrhamma||Stub||More info, pics, create species pages|
|Hymenoptera||Spider wasp||Sphictostethus nitidus||Start||Cleanup, break into sections, more info. Pics|
|Coleoptera||Giraffe weevil||Lasiorhynchus barbicornis||C||Check for any other recent literature|
Twenty-one people took part in the workshop, and three remotely, making 433 edits in total. Most worked on the list above, but in addition the following pages were created:
- Hemideina crassidens
- Hemideina maori
- Mecodema aoteanoho
- Mecodema haunoho
- Pachyrhamma acanthoceras
- Pachyrhamma waitomoensis
The following pages were improved:
- Blosyropus spinosus
- Clitarchus tepaki
- Miomantis caffra
And images were added to Commons for the following:
- Clitarchus tepaki
- Mecodema aoteanoho
- Mecodema haunoho
- Blosyropus spinosus
- Xylophilus luniger
- Saphobius inflatipes
- Glaucias amyoti
- Giantflightlessbirds interviewed by Jesse Mulligan on RNZ about the workshop, 1 September 2017
- "Putting a word in for insects" (University of Auckland Tāmaki Campus Update, Oct 2017)
Many thanks for Chrissie Painting and Leilani Walker for hosting this edit-a-thon, to Emma Scheltema for her gorgeous artwork, and to the Centre for Biodiversity and Biosecurity at the University of Auckland for funding and support. This event wouldn't exist without the Entomological Society of New Zealand backing the Insects of New Zealand Playing Cards project.