Wikipedia:Meetup/Bay Area WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon 3
|Bay Area Wikipedia Women's Edit-a-Thon 3! You are invited!
- Date: Saturday December 15, 2012
- Time: Beginners' workshop: 1–2 pm; general editing session 2–5pm.
- Location: Tech Liminal co-working space (268 14th St., Oakland), near the 12th St. BART station
- Event: An edit-a-thon! Learn how to contribute to Wikipedia and collaborate with others to write about whatever interests you!
- Hashtag: The Twitter and social hashtag is #wikiathon
Come meet your fellow editors and help improve Wikipedia articles! Don't know how to edit Wikipedia? That's ok, friendly, experienced editors will be here to help!
Everyone is welcome to come edit Wikipedia with us at this event. Women, men, new editors, archivists and librarians who have resources to share about much needed coverage areas in Wikipedia (women's history, Bay Area history & culture, contemporary culture), those who want to learn how to edit or can teach others how, and anyone with an interest having a great time & editing collaboratively are encouraged to attend!!
What to bring
- a laptop
- ideas for topics or articles you might want to work on (see below)
- any relevant reference materials you might have
- a friend – we love to meet new would-be-editors! (you can also bring your spouse, kids, family, etc.)
- or, if you don't have any of the above, just bring yourself :-)
- any digital photos you've taken that you would like to use on Wikipedia.
Have an idea what you want to work on? Or, seeking inspiration? Please edit this section!
(Simply click the edit button, add your name and hit save page. Or have a friend or Wikipedian sign you up!)
- Jennifer Waggoner (find me on Facebook) for questions or comments about the League of Women Voters
- Pete (talk) I'll be leading the intro session. If you want to contact somebody about the event ahead of time, reach me here.
- KS Rolph and Charles (8 yrs) See - KSRolph on LinkedIn KSRolph (talk) 21:01, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- I'll be there... and should have an interesting set of content to contribute. Kevin Gorman (talk) 08:09, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
- Me too! SPat talk 18:25, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
- Persia Salehi (Prof. Squirrel), because I'm lonely and cats don't share my interests
- GaramondLethe 01:46, 7 December 2012 (UTC)
- Angela Woodall
- I can try to help geting started with the editing.--Saehrimnir (talk) 16:35, 10 December 2012 (UTC)
- Christina Dragonettie
- Louis Huang
- I can help with some very basic new editor stuff, and can also talk about library resources that might be useful! Mlet (talk) 18:13, 12 December 2012 (UTC)
- Helen Hutchison
- Eekiv a.k.a. Vicky
Just click on the edit button to your right, add a * and your name above this line, and then and click on the Save page button below!
- Steven Walling • talk 06:24, 10 December 2012 (UTC)
- Bill Chapman
- Ammar Husain
- <replace this with your name>
- This was one of the funnest meet-ups yet, and I'm very thankful toward Tech Liminal for providing us with the space in which to do this. The women I met from the League of Women Voters were on fire! Everyone I met from the organization had a can-do/Do-ocratic attitude toward editing that held an underlying thoughtfulness toward ethical editing. I helped a couple of groups navigate the MediaWiki markup, questions regarding ethical editing, and interarticle linking and categorization, and found that my support was readily embraced and put into action by this very constructive group of people. Eekiv 21:04, 17 December 2012 (UTC)
New user accounts
- Added some archival sources to Dora Russell
- Added a list of award winners to Women in speculative fiction
- Added comparison to California Proposition 30 (2012)
Copyedited/cleaned up articles
Tips for new editors
Check out the Wikipedia Cheatsheet for tips on how to edit using Wikipedia's editing code (Mediawiki markup).