The 2013 Great American Wiknic will be Boston's second year participating in the Wiknic program. It will be held on Saturday June 22, 2013 in Boston Common on the south side of Frog Pond, here. A Wiknic is a great easy-in to real life Wikipedia culture, and can lead to greater participation in the wiki-community slowly growing in New England!
Boston Common is easily accessible by the Red and Green Lines. It is only a few blocks from the Orange, Blue, and Silver Lines. There is below-ground parking, for a fee, on Charles Street between the Boston Common and the Public Garden.
Sharing of food and refreshments, like sharing knowledge, is invited and encouraged; so, this Wiknic will be run as a potluck.
- 22 June 2013, Saturday
- 1:00 - 5:00 pm
- Rain Date - 23 June 2013
What to Bring
- Food and snacks enough for yourself and, perhaps, to share with fellow Wikipedians.
- A blanket
- Sunscreen; maybe a hat
- Beach umbrellas
- Water and ice
- Portable wiki and free culture acoutrements
What not to bring
- Items illegal in the Commonwealth
- Including fireworks
- Gas or charcoal cooking equipment
- Alcoholic beverages
- A bad attitude
- If I'm in the area, I'll be there! Kevin Rutherford (talk) 03:29, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
- Looking forward to it. Girona7 (talk) 04:38, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
- —Emufarmers(T/C) 04:29, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
- Probably. Would be cool to meet all y'all. — PinkAmpers&(Je vous invite à me parler) 07:18, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Well, I can't tell if I'm an idiot or there's someone I should be trouting here, but I just went to the exact spot on the map (and pretty much everywhere near it), and couldn't find anything resembling a Wiknic. — PinkAmpers&(Je vous invite à me parler) 19:11, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- I should be there. Returning from an Open Access conf; will confirm once I have my return ticket. – SJ + 22:36, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
- If I'm in Boston, I'll be there. Sven Manguard Wha? 16:29, 17 May 2013 (UTC)
- If I'm in town, I'll be there. GabrielF (talk) 16:18, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
- I'll try to make it. --Victor•talk 18:29, 20 May 2013 (UTC).
- Will come if I can! -Darouet (talk) 14:49, 23 May 2013 (UTC)
- Something came up, so not 100% sure I'll still make it, but fingers crossed Icy // ♫ 02:48, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- May show up around 2pm, have some stuff to do first. Reify-tech (talk) 17:11, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Sounds fun, but I'm not willing to take the chance of being photographed inadvertently or by hostiles. Too bad, but oh well. Herostratus (talk) 23:13, 2 June 2013 (UTC)
- I'm assuming your not serious but if you are, what's the big deal of having a picture of you taken? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
- I have no problem with this sensitivity of yours, but I do find it ironic, given your chosen user name.— Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 14:36, 21 June 2013
- A human can attend this wiknic without divulging their online personas. (This does not ensure that your picture is not taken, but you can reduce the chance of the picture being connected to your online self.) — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:36, 21 June 2013
- Sorry, same issue as last year: don't have a ride and boyfriend may not have a day off from work to bring me. I'll come some year, have fun everyone! --A Wild Abigail Appears! Capture me. Moves. 19:56, 14 June 2013 (UTC)
- Maybe next year. -- Dan Griscom (talk) 13:12, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry, schedule conflict. Looking forward to next year. Grumpycraig (talk) 17:11, 22 June 2013 (UTC)