Last year, the Great American Wiknic brought together Wikipedians and people interested in Wikipedia to share in food, conversation and outdoor fun. Let's do that again!
In case of bad weather, head instead to Harpo's Sports Grill at 2860 Arapahoe Avenue -- head west along Arapahoe Avenue from the intersection.
If you have any questions or problems getting to the site, please e-mail me at gaurav at ggvaidya dot com. If you need a phone number to contact me on, please drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. I'll be bringing something for us to sit on; since I'm not sure how many people will show up, I've decided not to buy any food until after 12:30pm or so (there's a King Soopers' nearby, and if there's a lot of people/it gets too hot it might be easier to go to a restaurant). I hope to see you all tomorrow!
- WiFi? (We can just use a mobile phone as a portable wi-fi hotspot - free with T-Mobile :)
- Too bright to see screens?
- bring your OLPC XO-1 "One Laptop Per Child" or other screens easy to see in the sun.
- Are reservations possible? Useful?
- Don't think they're possible at Scott Carpenter. I'm wondering if we should book a room at the Boulder Public Library for afterwards?
- Alternate locations?
- Given all the rain we've been having, I think this is a great idea. Maybe the Starbucks at 3033 Arapahoe Ave, just across the intersection from Scott Carpenter park? Or Harpo's Sports Grill at 2860 Arapahoe Ave? I haven't been to either, so any preference/suggestions appreciated! -- Gaurav (talk) 20:14, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
- Is the middle of the day the best time? Seems hot and bright....
- I agree. Maybe later in the evening (4pm to 6pm) would be better? -- Gaurav (talk) 06:47, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
- If anybody else would prefer a later time, or to meet indoors (we can book a meeting room at the Boulder Public Library, for instance), please speak up! Otherwise I'm loath to change plans five days before the Wiknic.
- Yarr, methinks it also would be a useful thing to meet later, else we will just roast, too much "its sooo hot..." griping more enjoyable say 6-9p.m. Speak up! Yea or nay!
- Since it's a picnic, and all, what's the plan for food? Are we all just bringing our own if we want it, or would something like a potluck perhaps be in order to spice things up? Or did you have something else in mind? -— Isarra ༆ 20:50, 26 June 2012 (UTC)
- About Wikipedia and WikiMedia
- Praise and gripes
- Discussion of goals for Colorado
- Future plans for Colorado
- Help for users
- Transhuman computing?
- It sounds like another group met up separately, arriving at the rendezvous site around 12:30pm. Could you please add yourselves to this list?
- I made one [The photograph of the Flatirons was taken by me so that should allay fears of non-attribution/copyright], check it out here - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65543171/Boulder_Wiknic.png - Arjun
- Brilliant, Arjun! The image is online at the Wikimedia Commons.
- Please let us know what you'd like to see in this event, how you think we can make our program more appealing to you, or any suggestions at all! Be bold!
Thanks, Gaurav, for organizing this. I've not been all that active here for a while. Maybe this would be a good way to get back into the whole thing. Presentations would be great, but brightness is a crucial factor to be mindful of. I'm sure there are coverings of sorts there. It's been a while since I've been to that park, but it may be feasible. But then, I'm not sure where you'd get equipment, unless you already had something in mind. 05:54, 18 June 2012 (UTC)
Scott Carpenter Park (a former landfill) was recently dug-up in order to install a new irrigation system. In the process, glass from one of the upper layers of the landfill was unearthed. The majority of the shards have been removed, but shoes/chairs/blankets should be encouraged.
- What? Well, I'll be... I remember playing little league baseball there on occasion, back in the mid-nineties. I had no idea it was once a landfill. I suppose we'll have to be careful... I like to think they'll have it pretty well combed by the 30th.
- Having a wiknic in Denver or Arvada again would be helpful. I'll be driving from Denver and essentially coming at the tail end of it because of drive time. Sighhhh
- On another note, I recently noticed how neither Boulder Public Library nor Norlin Library have a Wikipedia page. These would be very interesting projects, indeed. I doubt I'd take any such thing on anytime soon, but I wanted to throw the idea out there... 03:20, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- Gaurav (talk) 03:02, 8 May 2012 (UTC)
- I may be able to, depending on the time schedule. ~ Matthewrbowker Talk to me 17:54, 8 May 2012 (UTC)
- ★NealMcB★ (talk) 15:21, 15 May 2012 (UTC)
- gribeco (talk) 16:54, 4 June 2012 (UTC) -- start planning Wiki Loves Monuments 2012!
Buaidh 02:33, 9 June 2012 (UTC)Sorry, grandchildren first priority. Justapersona (talk) 05:28, 12 June 2012 (UTC) - I live in Denver (Park Hill), but am happy to drive to Boulder. I think a good t-shirt would be fun, even if it's $25/pc at this small volume. (lol)Doh! Family obligations that whole weekend.
- Oh, I'll be there 23:09, 14 June 2012 (UTC)
- Tentative; will be nearby at Jeffco Airport in the morning.LanceBarber (talk) 04:16, 15 June 2012 (UTC)
- Klassica plans to attend. Waves to ★NealMcB★ --Klassica 22:51, 17 June 2012 (UTC)
- I will most likely attend. (I have no account)
tentatively plans to attend. Morning commitment, may be a little late getting there.Not going to make it after all; let me know if anything develops for Arvada/Denver. Araucana (talk) 13:48, 20 June 2012 (UTC)
- I should be there. -— Isarra ༆ 03:59, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
- Finally found Wikians here in Boulder. Representing Tamil Wikipedia --Karthickbala (talk) 08:30, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
- I believe I can attend once I'm out of class (at about 1-ish depending upon traffic). ~~ tamara
- I should be free and should show up (a lot of "should"s) - Arjun
- I'd like to attend, health permitting (which makes it about 40% likely I'll be there) loupgarous (talk) 03:19, 22 June 2012 (UTC)
- I think I'll be able to make it.--Sturmvogel 66 (talk) 04:14, 23 June 2012 (UTC)
- I came but forgot to add myself beforehand. — 19:06, 30 June 2012 (UTC)