About this campaign
The “Music and Belonging: Music in Canada at 150 Wikipedia Project” is a multifaceted campaign which pairs the professional skills of librarians and archivists with academics, music historians, musicians, students and local music communities to increase the quality and amount of content about Canadian musicians in Wikipedia and Wikidata thereby increasing the accessibility to music culture for all Canadians and the wider online community. Please see the project webpage for detailed information and training and outreach materials.
The project is being funded through a Wikimedia Foundation Project Grant and the York University Canada 150 fund.
Dates & locations
Editing events will be held across Canada during the month of October, 2017. This is coordinated with the Canadian National Contribution month and Open Access week.
Thursday, October 19th
- 55 York Blvd, Central Branch, Hamilton Public Library, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4E4. Map, 11 am - 5 pm, Sign-up, Meet-up page.
Tuesday, October 24th
Friday, October 27th
- MacEwan University (in collaboration with the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta. Sign-up
- J.N. Desmarais Library, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario. Sign-up, Meet-up page
- Participants are also welcome to participate virtually. Sign-up
Articles and items to edit/create
- Murray Adaskin (needs citations)
Editing activities are organized through a dashboard. Please sign-up through the dashboard.
Resources for research
This sources are useful for finding identifiers that can be added to Wikidata and will populate the authority control area in Wikipedia articles, no matter the language.
- Virtual International Authority File (VIAF)
- Musicbrainz music encyclopedia
- Soundexchange ISRC search
- International Movie Database (IMDb)
- Library of Congress linked data service
- Library of Congress list of identifiers
Many excellent introductory tutorials and other training materials exist. This section includes links to a few examples.
- In-person Workshop on Wikidata and music by Dan Scott was recorded and the video has been made available. Slides and text and have been posted.
- Online tutorial video on Wikidata and music by Dan Scott
- Editing Wikipedia for music biographies: introduction. Slides and notes from a workshop. by Stacy Allison-Cassin User:Smallison
- Editing Wikipedia for music biographies: infoboxes, categories and authorities. Slides and notes from an online tutorial. by Stacy Allison-Cassin User:Smallison
- Editing music biographies  User:Smallison