Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/All Things GW
The edit-a-thon will concentrate on any topics relating to GW that you wish to explore. University history? Presidents and administrators? Notable alumni? Athletics? The Mount Vernon Seminary and College? All ideas are welcome! We'll also look for articles to improve relating to the Foggy Bottom neighborhood that GW calls home, and will explore uploading out of copyright material to Wikimedia Commons.
See also media contributed by the George Washington University on Wikimedia Commons.
Bergis Jules, University Archivist, and Jennifer Kinniff, Public Services and Outreach Librarian for Special Collections, will lead a behind the scenes tour and will share some of the University Archives' most beloved items.
|12:30 - 12:45||Arrival & wireless account setup; Orientation|
|12:45 - 1:45||New editor instruction and tutorials; experienced editors can dive right into the collections|
|1:45 - 2:30||Behind the scenes tour; snack break|
|2:30 - 4:00||Editathon led by Librarian Jennifer Kinniff and Dominic McDevitt-Parks|
Do I have to register to attend, or can I just arrive on the day?
- There is space for up to 30 participants! Signing up in advance assures that we will have enough food for everyone and know how many to expect.
Do I have to be a member of Wikimedia DC?
- No, this event is open to everyone.
What happens if I get hungry?
- We'll have snacks and drinks!
What material will attendees be able to access?
- Event attendees are library patrons and are welcome to browse the ready reference material we have relating to GW and Foggy Bottom in our Special Collections reading room or our yearbooks and issues of the student newspaper The Hatchet. You may also want to access our special collections, by searching the catalog; our staff can retrieve materials for you. If you already know of specific items you would like to see, let us know below and we can have it pulled for when you get here.
Add your own questions here
- Flappable (talk) 17:56, 20 March 2013 (UTC)
- Dominic·t 19:42, 20 March 2013 (UTC)
- Bergis Jules
- Katrin Bode
- Geraldshields11 (talk) 13:15, 2 April 2013 (UTC)
- friend of Smokey the Bear (from meetup.com)
- Dorothy White
- Dominique Pierce
- Atiya Dorsey
- Destini Smith
- Gyani Wright
- Lauren Newman
- Gaby Makowski
- Jerrel Catlett
- Rafael Rolon-Muniz
- Grisselle Rivera
- Evan Crocker
- Abbie Oshobajo
- Raymond Simmons
- Harris Boekenheide
- Jeff Mattox
- Justin Bronstein
- Econterms (talk) 00:06, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- JoVaun Holmes
- Randall Palmer
- Krista Cocozello
- Duckduckgo (talk) 18:48, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I'm interested, but I can't go! --TheBlueWizard (talk) 16:05, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- Sounds fun--I am very sorry to miss it. You know how much I love editing & archives! --Sarasays (talk) 20:34, 18 April 2013 (UTC)
- Did want to go but too much personal stuff happening this weekend. CarolMooreDC🗽 18:26, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
Articles to edit
- Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
- West End, Washington, D.C.
- Washington Circle
- George Washington Colonials
- WRGW (student radio)
- Salad Bowl strike
- School Without Walls
- George Washington University Virginia Campus
- Maxwell Woodhull House
- Campuses of George Washington University
- Mount Vernon College for Women
- Joel Smith Bacon - Past president of GWU 
- Joseph Getchell Binney - Past president of GWU 
- Steve Chapin (GW President) - Past president of GWU 
- Charles W. Needham - Past president of GWU 
- George W. Samson - Past president of GWU 
- James Clarke Welling - Past president of GWU 
- St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Washington, D.C.)
- Snows Court (Washington, D.C.)
- I edited Washington Gas with some of my group mates in my DC History Class --Atdorsey (talk) 20:05, 20 April 2013 (UTC)atdorsey
- I edited Snows Court (Washington, D.C.) with some of my group mates in my DC History class --Lanew715 (talk) 19:58, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I edited Washington, D.C.! Dominic·t 19:51, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I edited Snows Court (Washington, D.C.) --DestiniS (talk) 19:59, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I edited the George Washington Early College Program section of the School Without Walls page as well as the Washington Circle page. --Evanc95 (talk) 19:55, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I edited School Without Walls- George Washington University Early College Program; JoVaun Holmes
- I edited the the George Washington University Virginia Campus page. I added the sections about programs, research centers, and changed the name of the external link. --User:Nikki D Mac
- I edited Snows Court (Washington, D.C.) with some of my group in my DC History Course at George Washington University --Jerrel Catlett (talk) 20:00, 20 April 2013 (UTC)Jerrel Catlett
- I worked on Foggy Bottom page on the history section as well as the culture section. --Rafrancisco1994 (talk) 20:03, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I edited Thaddeus Stevens School (Washington, D.C.) in English and German, Thaddeus Stevens School. --Kb19888 (talk) 20:07, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I created the article for 1871-1894 university president James Clarke Welling -- Econterms (talk) 20:09, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I created the article Foggy Bottom on German Wikipedia, added categories to the uploaded GMU images, added the image of the 1915 GWU Women's Basketball team to the GWU article. Djembayz (talk) 21:03, 20 April 2013 (UTC)
- I edited School Without Walls for the GWECP program, and added a section for the exposure program. I also created the article for Joel Smith Bacon and uploaded a picture to wikimedia commons. gmakowski (talk) 12:57, 22 April 2013