Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Battle of Fort Stevens
The edit-a-thon will concentrate on the Battle of Fort Stevens which took place July 11-12, 1864 in Northwest D.C.
|Noon - 12:20pm||Arrival & wireless account setup; Library Orientation||In the Kiplinger Research Library, Second Floor of the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. (801 K Street NW / Washington, DC 20001)|
|12:20pm - 2:00pm||Edit-a-thon led by Reference Services Librarian Laura Barry||In the Kiplinger Research Library, Second Floor of the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. (801 K Street NW / Washington, DC 20001)|
Do I have to register to attend, or can I just arrive on the day?
- For this edit-a-thon we only have a limited number of seats. Please check our Eventbrite listing for availability.
Do I have to be a member of Wikimedia DC?
- No, this event is open to everyone.
Are you providing lunch?
- Lunch will on your own but there are plenty of wonderful places to eat around Mount Vernon Square and the Verizon Center.
What should I bring?
- A laptop. The Historical Society only has two public computers, and they will be available on a first come-first served basis.
What material will attendees be able to access?
- Library staff and volunteers have developed a list of resources available at the Society about the Battle of Fort Stevens. These resources will be available when you arrive so you can jump right in to your research. If you would like to preview some of the resources available you can search our online catalog. We can provide additional material upon request.
Will we be able to take photographs on our phones or digital cameras?
- Usually we charge for personal reference photographs but we will waive the fee for participants who want to take pictures. If you are interested in uploading them to Wikimedia Commons you will need to ask a library staff member to make sure it's public domain and doesn't have any restrictions on it from the donor.
Do I have to come for the entirety of the event?
- Feel free to come and go as your schedule allows; we hope this will be a history interlude during the work day!
Add your own questions here
Basics on editing Wikipedia
- Editing - The Basics has .pdf handouts and videos
- Wikipedia Training, Includes a one-hour training for newcomers, and more extensive pages for teachers and Wikipedia Ambassadors
- Wikipedia Tutorial is a hands-on approach that walks you through various aspects of Wikipedia editing
- Added quotations from Gen. Robert E. Lee to Battle of Fort Stevens.
- Added and corrected citations to references in the Battle of Fort Stevens.
- Additional detail about the battle included in the Battle of Fort Stevens.
- Detail about the Battle of Fort Stevens added to Fort Stevens page.
- History of Fort Stevens updated as well as the ownership.