Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Brookland Neighborhood Editathon
Join us at Catholic University to help improve content related to the Brookland neighborhood in Washington, DC! Beginners are welcome.
- Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at the John K. Mullen of Denver Memorial Library, The Catholic University of America
- 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. EDT
What to bring
- A laptop (or tablet, ideally with keyboard)
- A camera! Feel free to take photographs and tweet, Facebook or Instagram the event using hashtag #BrooklandWiki
|11:00 a.m.||Check-in at the library front desk||Mullen Library Lobby|
|11:15 - 11:45 a.m.||Introduction to editing Wikipedia||FYE Reading Room, Mullen Library|
|11:45 a.m.||Edit!||FYE Reading Room, Mullen Library|
|1:00 p.m.||Lunch (generously provided by AGLISS!)||FYE Reading Room, Mullen Library|
- First Year Experience (FYE) Reading Room (located behind the Main Reading Room, 2nd floor) in Mullen Library, located at .
To register, please write your username below, or send an email to kellyp [at] cua.edu
- whenmostaway (talk) 13:18, 27 July 2015 UTC
- Djembayz (talk) 00:00, 30 July 2015 (UTC)
- Duckduckstop (talk) 15:32, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- L1brarykh (talk) 15:45, 10 August 2015 (UTC)
- SamuRussell (talk) 4:44, 24 August 2015 (UTC)
- cuahistorian (talk) 10:05, 2 September 2015 UTC
- kcsantaana (talk) 10:24, 8 September 2015 UTC
- stm1139 (talk) 9:56, 11 September 2015 UTC
- lmfullam (talk) 16:50, 15 September 2015 UTC
- 21gage (talk) 9:30, 16 September 2015 UTC
- kevinbgunn (talk) 11:00, 16 September 2015 UTC
- Meagher1949 (talk) 16:57, 16 September 2015 (UTC)
- Sadly I don't live in the area anymore, but, I will provide clean-up and Wikidata support. Missvain (talk) 18:37, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- Wish I could be there. I wish you all much success and satisfaction. -- econterms (talk) 09:53, 16 September 2015 (UTC)
Is the library accessible?
Yes. Although the main entrance has two sets of stairs, visitors can also enter through the south rear entrance (please buzz the intercom for library staff assistance). There is an elevator inside the building for second floor access.
Do I need to create a Wikipedia account in advance? No, although it will be very helpful if you do. To create an account simply click "Create Account" in the top right of this page.
I've never edited Wikipedia, and have no experience with markup code - can I still participate? Yes! We recommend that new users attending use the new visual editor (instructions for which will be provided at the event), which requires no markup knowledge.
I don't know anything about Brookland - can I still attend? Yes! Although the focus of the event is Brookland-centric, feel free to drop by and edit whatever articles you like. There are also many types of edits you can perform that do not depend on specialized knowledge such as adding links, copy-editing, adding or correcting citations, and other style corrections.
Articles to work on
- Archbishop Carroll High School (Washington, D.C.)
- Brookland (Washington, D.C.)
- Brooks Mansion
- Mount St. Sepulchre Franciscan Monastery
- Ralph Bunche
- Ralph Bunche House
- Sterling Allen Brown
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
- Dahlgreen Courts
- Charles R. Drew
- Robert C. Weaver
- John P. Davis
- Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine of the Holy Family
- National Shrine of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
- Catholic University of America
- Saint John Paul II National Shrine
- Dance Place
- St. Paul's College, Washington, D.C.
Articles to create
- Sterling Allen Brown House
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings House
- Charles R. Drew Memorial Bridge
- Robert C. Weaver House
- John P. Davis House
- General Web Resources (open to all)
- CUA Archives Resources (open to all)
- CUA Libraries Resources (can only be accessed with a CUA student, staff, or faculty account)
- District of Columbia Public Library Resources (can be accessed with a DC, MD, or VA library account)
- Other Resources
- Charles R. Drew - Changed image.
- Brookland (Washington, D.C.) - Added text in history of Brookland and citation to "Images of Brookland." user:SamuRussell
- Brookland (Washington, D.C.) - Added image of map of Brookland from 1879. user:SamuRussell
- Brookland (Washington, D.C.) - Added early history of Brookland. user:SamuRussell
- Brookland (Washington, D.C.) - Fixed broken reference links and external links (replaced with Wayback).
- Brooks Mansion - Fixed all broken references and links, added detail to History section.
- Mount St. Sepulchre Franciscan Monastery - Added links for Feast of St. Joseph and Aristide Leonori.
- Ralph Bunche - Edited article text for style and corrected typos.
- Sterling Allen Brown - Added link to Blues wiki page, corrected link for Smithsonian Folkways, edited article for style.
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings - Corrected broken reference links and external links.
- Dahlgreen Courts - Corrected broken link for DC Historic Sites.
- National Shrine of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception - Corrected broken Wayback references and external links.
- Catholic University of America - Fixed all broken reference links (replaced with Wayback).
- Saint John Paul II National Shrine - Fixed all broken reference links (replaced with Wayback), edited for style.
- Dance Place - Fixed broken reference links (replaced with Wayback).
- St. Paul's College, Washington, D.C. - Added link to John J. Burke wiki page, fixed broken reference links (replaced with Wayback).