Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Field Notes/To-do list
Join in the fun!
Wikipedians near and far can join in! Join the conversation on Twitter and tell us what you’re working on using #FBPwiki.
Expeditions and Explorers Field Notes To-do list
Thank you for expressing interest in improving coverage related to field books of scientists and from expedition!
Every person and expedition listed in this to-do list is included in the Field Book Project and in the Smithsonian Institution Archives. Here you will find a link to an article that needs improvement or an article that needs to be created. You will also find images and other resources to help you get started and other Smithsonian Institution resources for use!
- Mary Agnes Chase - botanist and suffragette image
- Doris Mable Cochran – herpetologist
- Edgar Alexander Mearns – ornithologist 
- United States and Mexican Boundary Survey (1848-1855)
1.Minor editing on body of text, added URL to full text of Report on the US and Mexican Boundary Survey document on BHL, will add to body of text at the later date. (full- text :http://ia600605.us.archive.org/9/items/mobot31753002023569/mobot31753002023569.pdf)
Start or stub-length articles
Articles to be created
Below each suggested article are some proposed points for notability, but please feel free to use other reasons, if more appropriate!
- Rediscovered Anomochloa in 1976 with assistant Sr. Talmon dos Santos in Bahia, Brazil. This tropical forest grass had died out, so this was a tremendous discovery and set the path for Judziewicz and Soderstrom (1989) to do a detailed morphological and anatomical study. This study confirmed Anomochloa was a grass and offered insight into its peculiar flowering structures.
- Deposited approximately 1000 collections, many of them bamboo, at the U.S. National Herbarium
- Discovered and named approx. 20 taxa 
- Represented the Smithsonian Institution as member and designated specialist to preserve specimens for the 1909 African Expedition
- Provided 1905 survey of Buffalo on Wichita Forest and Game Reserve or “Wichita Buffalo Range” for New York Zoological Society
- Assistant Curator (care for animals) of National Zoological Park under Hornaday
- President (1950 – 1952, 1969-1971; VP ‘67-‘68) and long-standing executive committee member of Virginia Society of Ornithology (Chairman of various sections, too)
- Virginia Society of Ornithology (VSO) James W. Eike Service Award created in his honor in 1984 
- Papers held by Smithsonian Institution Archives – over 111 field books – part of Field Book Registry
- Smithsonian-Roosevelt African Expedition – members of the party
- Expedition organized as first big post-presidency event for Theodore Roosevelt
- Theodore Roosevelt and son Kermit and Smithsonian-sponsored scientists
- Amassed a collection of 23,151 natural history specimens, totaling 160 species of carnivores, ungulates, rodents, insectivores, and bats
- All Field Books held by SIA & NMNH
When you succeed in updating or creating an article, move it from the to-do list, to this outcomes list! If you translate an article please mention the language, as well!
- New articles
- Updated articles
- A. S. Hitchcock
- Mary Agnes Chase
- Edward Palmer (botanist)
- Edgar Alexander Mearns
- United States and Mexican Boundary Survey
- Edmund Heller
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- On Expedition: Theodore Roosevelt, Edgar Alexander Mearns, John Alden Loring - On Expedition
- On Expedition: Kermit Roosevelt - Kermit Roosevelt
- On Expedition: Theodore Roosevelt - Theodore Roosevelt
- East African Lion Exhibit - National Museum of Natural History exhibit
- Specimens form the Roosevelt Safari - Taxidermist at work
- Doris Mable Cochran
- Doris Mable Cochran with Snake
- Doris Mable Cochran working with Collections
- Doris Mable Cochran holding frog
- Mary Agnes Chase collecting plants in Brazil
- Mary Agnes Chase, Clarissa Rolfs and group on Expedition