Luce and Lunder Edit-a-thon
- 1 Luce and Lunder Edit-a-thon
- 1.1 Focus
- 1.2 Tour
- 1.3 Schedule
- 1.4 FAQ
- 1.5 Sign Up
- 1.6 To Do List
- 1.7 Resources
- 1.8 Results
- 1.9 References
The edit-a-thon offers a range of topics inspired by the Luce Foundation Center for American Art and the Lunder Conservation Center.
Luce Center Coordinator Bridget Callahan will conduct a tour of the Luce Foundation Center and Programs Coordinator Chris Wayner will conduct a tour of the Lunder Conservation Center. Photography is permitted in the Luce Foundation Center but not in the Lunder Conservation Center.
|9:15 a.m.||Meet and prepare to be escorted through security.||In the G Street Lobby of the Smithsonian American Art Museum (entrance at 8th and G Streets, NW)|
|9:15 - 9:30||Welcome, introductions, byo coffee||MacMillan Education Center, 1st floor, Smithsonian American Art Museum|
|9:30 - 10:30||New editor instruction and tutorials with Dominic McDevitt-Parks!||MacMillan Education Center, 1st floor, Smithsonian American Art Museum|
|10:30 - 12:00||Luce and Lunder tours||The Luce Foundation Center and Lunder Conservation Center, 3rd floor, Smithsonian American Art Museum|
|12:00 - 1:00||Lunch (provided)||MacMillan Education Center, 1st floor, Smithsonian American Art Museum|
|1:00 - 5:00||Edit-a-thon||MacMillan Education Center, 1st floor, Smithsonian American Art Museum|
Do I have to register to attend, or can I just arrive on the day?
- Advance RSVP is required for non-Smithsonian staff. Due to the limited space, the only way to guarantee admission is to sign up. Space is limited to 25 participants.
Do I have to be a member of Wikimedia DC?
- No, this event is open to everyone.
What will I get for my efforts?
- All participants will receive the super-snazzy Smithsonian American Art Museum barn star!
What happens if I get hungry?
- Lunch will be provided by the museum.
What should I bring?
- A laptop
- Photo ID for security
- Coffee for the morning if you desire - food and drink is permitted in the MacMillan Education Center, but must be carried in a closed container through the museum. Food and drink is not permitted in the exhibition galleries.
Can I leave early?
- Of course! We don't lock anyone in. We hope that you will be able to stay for some of the afternoon editathon!
Add your own questions here
- Georgina Goodlander (host) Bathlander (talk) 19:46, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- --Sarasays (talk) 15:56, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- --Callahanb (talk) 20:37, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- Mah5588 (Luce Intern)
- Laura Galos (Luce Intern)
- --Meghaninmotion (talk) 20:29, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- --Digitaleffie (talk) 13:43, 11 July 2013 (UTC)
- Dominic·t 20:59, 11 July 2013 (UTC)
Non SI Staff
Up to 25 spaces...
- Laura Barry
- Brian Lokker
- Geraldshields11 (talk) 15:19, 19 June 2013 (UTC) - Also, I need a laptop.
- Neal Stimler
- mijotoba (talk) 07:41, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Friend of Smokey the Bear [needs a match (just sayin')] 09:12, 22 June 2013
- Marilyn Sklar
- Chance Paglia
- CZmarlin (talk) 03:03, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- GcSwRhIc (talk) 14:07, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- anamedperson (talk) 02:45, 13 July 2013 (UTC)(Adirlanz)
- DocTree (ʞlɐʇ·cont) 15:14, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- --PiMaster3 talk 05:03, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- Jonathan Ward
- winged watermelon (don't text and fly)
- Duckduckgo (talk)
- Vanessa Varin
- Spence Ball
- Fran Rogers (talk) 05:13, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
If you're on the waitlist, you will receive an email/talk message if a space opens up.
- Not sure what remote assist I can provide, but I couldn't be there until about lunchtime. Send me a message and let me know what I can assist with. TRL (talk) 03:34, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Out of town ... enjoy the event! Djembayz (talk) 02:55, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry, day job... -- Gyrofrog (talk) 00:36, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- Out of town... rats :-) Carl Lindberg (talk) 13:14, 13 July 2013 (UTC)
- Doubt I'll be available. If I can participate remotely, I will, but I doubt it. --Ser Amantio di NicolaoChe dicono a Signa?Lo dicono a Signa. 19:10, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- Was traveling and away from screens. interested in future ones. pls keep me on the list. Cramyourspam (talk) 02:22, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
To Do List
- Art conservation
- Preservation of meaning
- International Institute for Conservation
- Preventive conservation
- Garry Thomson - author of the Museum Environment, first published in 1978
- Book and paper conservation#Paper and conservation issues
- Digital preservation
- Photograph conservation
- New media art preservation
- Art conservation training
- Conservation associations and professional organizations
- Rutherford John Gettens - the first chemist in the U. S. to be permanently employed by an art museum.
- George L. Stout - the founder and first editor of Technical Studies. (Gettens and Stout co-authored Painting Materials: A Short Encyclopaedia, first published in 1942 and reprinted in 1966.)
- Frame conservation
Luce Center-Related Articles
- Robert Hudson
- Michael Lantz
- Leo Friedlander
- Joseph Hirsch
- Paul Cadmus
- Elizabeth Nourse
- Roger Medearis
- Jun Kaneko
- Margaret Boozer- Ceramist
- Howard Kottler- Ceramist
- Louise Cox- Painter
- Ruth Payne Burgess- Painter
- John R. Grabach- Painter
- Bessie Callender- Sculptor
- Bruce Moore- Sculptor
- Harold Tovish- Sculptor
- Simon Sparrow- Folk artist
- Malcah Zeldis- Folk artist
- Louise Goodman artist- Folk artist
- Nicholas Herrera- Folk artist
- John William "Uncle Jack" Dey- Folk artist
- add this event to the lists at Wikipedia_talk:GLAM/SI
Please add your suggestions!
- We will bring books and research files, as always!
- About conservation from the museum website
- Lunder Conservation Center website
- Conservation videos on the museum website
- How to care for your collections from the museum website
- The Save Outdoor Sculpture program
- FAQs from the Library of Congress on preservation
- Disaster and Conservation resources from the Detroit Institute of Arts
- Conservation careers from AIC
- Conservation and Art Material Encyclopedia online
- Digital Preservation Europe
- more coming soon!
- Artist's website
- Project 4- selected press clippings
- Washington Post
- Margaret Boozer Short Profile (video)
Ruth Payne Burgess:
Louise Cox (Louise Howland King):
- Archives of American Art (two oral histories)
- Forum Gallery
- The Navy Art Collection
- Meadowlark Gallery
- Artist's website
- Artist's non-profit organization
- Greater Des Moines Public Art Foundation
- Arts in Nebraska, artist interview (video)
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (includes video)
- Ceramics Today
- Huntington Library
- Verso, The Blog of the Huntington Library
- Los Angeles Times
- Los Angeles County Museum on Fire
- more coming soon!
Images on the Commons
- Wikipedia:Featured Articles
- Wikipedia:Policies and guidelines
- Help:Getting started
- Wikipedia:Starting an article
- Intro to Wikipedia Slides
- Link to PiratePad
- Frame conservation (note: Open source images of the process could improve the article)--PiMaster3 talk 20:20, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- George L. Stout Harej (talk) 18:40, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Louise Goodman artist--Digitaleffie (talk) 19:25, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Betty Spindler --Fran Rogers (talk) 19:27, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Harold Tovish - CZmarlin (talk) 19:39, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Margaret Boozer copyedit Geraldshields11 (talk) 19:46, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Michael Lantz copyedit Geraldshields11 (talk) 19:50, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Rutherford J. Gettens, in my sandbox; still needs work before submission. - winged watermelon (don't text and fly) 20:24, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- John William "Uncle Jack" Dey copyedit Callahanb (talk) 21:02, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Bessie Callender EmReed22 (talk) 21:12, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Gregorio Marzán Goholmes (talk) 21:32, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Malcah Zeldis - Mah5588 First article ever, would definitely appreciate suggestions! 19 July 2013
- Redirect for Lunder Conservation Center DocTree (ʞlɐʇ·cont) Join WER 02:21, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- Simon Sparrow folk artist - welcome edits & additional context for his work --Meghaninmotion (talk) 16:28, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- Ruth Payne Burgess Mah5588 Might as well embrace the Wikipedia addiction now! 22 July, 2013
- Howard Kottler mijotoba (talk) 07:53, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
- G. Wayne Clough rearranged images
- Renwick Gallery Geraldshields11 (talk) 18:51, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- New media art preservation added citations
- Viktor Schreckengost --Fran Rogers (talk) 19:29, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Robert H. Hudson Geraldshields11 (talk) 19:38, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Leo Friedlander copyedit Geraldshields11 (talk) 19:54, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Conservation science small expansion; added sources (previously unsourced) DocTree (ʞlɐʇ·cont) Join WER 20:24, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Michael Lantz expanded biography, added info box Bathlander (talk) 20:38, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Elizabeth Nourse expanded and added sources and images anamedperson (talk) and
- Joseph Hirsch added info box, list of works, a third-party NPOV ref, copyedit Geraldshields11 (talk) 20:51, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Paul Cadmus copyedit and added cites, also removed "need more cites" tag Geraldshields11 (talk) 21:30, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Roger Medearis copyedit, added cites, created artist infobox Geraldshields11 (talk) 21:54, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Jun Kaneko expanded, Smithsonian references cited, Sarasays (talk) 14:42, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- File:She who must be obeyed maquet.JPG
- meetup photo category: commons:Category:Luce and Lunder Edit-a-thon
- Added photos of event to WikiCommons, Meetup.com, and other social media Geraldshields11 (talk) 18:53, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Bridget category - commons:Category:Bridget Callahan
- File:Apocalypse '42.jpg --Fran Rogers (talk) 19:27, 19 July 2013 (UTC)