The edit-a-thon offers a range of topics for editors to choose from, focused around Smithsonian collections and research strengths. These may include taxonomy and species data, rare books and publications, anthropology, forensics, notable scientific figures, artists, artworks, history, gardens, and so much more! If you have a preference please put it down when you sign up! Smithsonian staff are working hard even now to identify articles in need of love, and locating relevant Smithsonian resources that will help to improve them.
There are three different tours participants can choose to embark upon:
- The Cullman Rare Book Library,
- A tour of the Invertebrate Zoology collection led by Chris Mah who specializes in echinoderms ,or
- The Herbarium in Botany
Write which tour appeals to you most next to your name when you sign up!
|9:30 a.m.||Meet and prepare to be escorted through security. Please be prompt and don't forget your photo ID!||In front of the Constitution Ave entrance of the NMNH|
|9:30 - 10:00||Coffee, welcome, and orientation||National Museum of Natural History|
|10:00 - 10:50||New editor instruction and tutorials; concurrent "behind the scenes" small group tours of special collections||Mostly in NMNH Main Library|
|10:50 - 11:50||concurrent "behind the scenes" small group tours of special collections, pick which the day of!||Cullman Library, Herbarium, Invertebrate Zoology|
|12:00 - 1:00||Lunch||NMNH Main Library|
|12:00 - 5:00||Edit-a-thon||NMNH Main Library|
|5:00 onwards||End and Happy Hour||Penn Social, 801 E ST NW, Washington DC|
Do I have to register to attend, or can I just arrive on the day?
- Advance RSVP is required for non-Smithsonian staff. Due to the limited number of spaces and the advance security badge requirements, the only way to guarantee admission is to sign up. Space is limited to 20 non-staff Wikipedian participants.
Do I have to be a member of Wikimedia DC?
- No, this event is open to everyone.
What happens if I get hungry?
- Refreshments will be provided to our non-staff volunteers, thanks to generous support from the Smithsonian Institution Libraries and the Wikimedia DC chapter!
What should I bring?
- A photo ID is a must, for security purposes
- Bring a laptop if you have one (if not, don't worry--there are free to use computers in the NMNH library)
- A camera to take (non flash) photos of the event and the behind-scenes collections, if you wish
Add your own questions here
Note: Since this event takes place in a secure, behind-the-scenes portion of the museum, real names of attendees are required in order to grant them security badges. Photo ID will be required for admission. If you don't want to reveal your name on the wiki, please email it to one of the organizers (listed above) so that they will be able to make the connection to (but not publish) your username.
Attending (non-Smithsonian staff)
- Maralia (talk)
- Djembayz (talk)
- Wehwalt (talk)
- Jarahmo (talk)
- Slowking4 (talk)
Lanka-may (talk) 20:27, 1 October 2012 (UTC) Will be there late-morning on.
- Okita2 (talk), 2 October 2012 (UTC)
- Will Thomas Caribouwireless
- Gerlad Shields (The Cullman Rare Book Library) Geraldshields11 (talk) 17:26, 4 October 2012 (UTC)
- Samarista (talk)
- Jeremyb (talk) 04:04, 6 October 2012 (UTC) Will be in town anyway and free for the morning. Will have miss most or all of the afternoon though. :(
- Edith C.
- Friend of Smokey the Bear
- CarolMooreDC 17:23, 8 October 2012 (UTC) Can make most of it. Sounds good!
- Kate L. Cathlong Rua (talk)
- TaraInDC (talk)
- Anaerose (talk) 17:43, 12 October 2012 (UTC)
- your name here
- Uncommon_fritillary (talk)
- Sarasays (talk) 14:19, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
- mfbjr (talk)
- DigiGardens (talk)
- gilborrego (talk)
- JJFord_BHL (talk)
- Naplesr (talk)
- --Dariawingreenmason (talk) 18:31, 12 October 2012 (UTC)
- TrinaLib (talk)
- Edsu (talk) 20:00, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
- Jason Quinn (talk) 21:05, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
- Veni Markovski (talk) 11:02, 15 September 2012 (UTC) (if I can squeeze it between two travels to Europe, else: wishing you all great time there!)
TheBlueWizard (talk) 19:20, 15 September 2012 (UTC) (if there is a computer to use, plus whether there is something I can do. Also I would have to take a day off for that day)
- your name here
- Kumioko - I wished I could but I'll be out of town that weekend. Kumioko (talk) 19:59, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
- PonyToast - It will be my birthday weekend, so I will not be able to attend. Have fun! ~ PonyToast...§ 21:11, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
- Undead q (talk) 12:09, 3 October 2012 (UTC) Thanks for the invite. Would love to, but don't have leave.
- TheBlueWizard - New development at my work requires my attention, so I can't go. I would love to be on a tour, but, dayum! --TheBlueWizard (talk) 17:17, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
To Do List
Visit our To Do List
See the Results of the day