About this event
The Institute of Cultural Inquiry is holding its second editathon, this one in memory of longtime Wikipedian Adrianne Wadewitz (User:Wadewitz), who advised on our first editathon back in February. Wadewitz, who was highly respected for her editing chops as well as her unfailing generosity towards fellow Wikipedians, died on April 8 from injuries suffered during a rock-climbing fall. She had hoped to attend our February editathon but was prevented by other commitments.
We will offer practical help and advice to new editors and a friendly, quiet place to edit pages. We will also offer a special tutorial on adding images to Wikimedia, a topic we think will be of interest to photographers and other visual artists. If you're not sure where to start, you can work from one of our lists of notable people who are not yet in Wikipedia. You’ll have access to the 3000+ books in our library to help you in your research, not to mention the minds and experience of everyone in the room. The ICI will provide drinks and snacks to sweeten the session.
When and where
- Date: Saturday, May 31, 2014 from 12-5 pm
- Venue: Institute of Cultural Inquiry, 1512 S. Robertson Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
- Cost: Free
- Participants: No Wikipedia editing experience is necessary; in fact, we especially encourage you to come if you are new to Wikipedia and want to try it out. ICI Associate Antoinette LaFarge (User:Alafarge) will give a brief tutorial on adding images to Wikimedia at 12:30 pm, and we will be providing help throughout the afternoon. You are welcome to stay for the whole time, or drop in for just awhile.
- What to bring: Please bring your own laptop and power cord if you have one but don't stay away if you don't. We have a small number of computers for attendees to use.
- RSVP requested; please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Who we are
The Institute of Cultural Inquiry (ICI) is a small artist-run non-profit organization focused on visual technologies and how they are used to document, imagine, remember and conceal what we call culture. The Institute sponsors research, displays, symposia, workshops, performances, residencies, and tactical interventions. It maintains an active publishing program through the ICI Press.
Please add your name if you plan to attend:
- Antoinette LaFarge -- I'll be facilitating and giving demos.
- Jameyson MacDonald -- I will try to make it
- Tinkermen 12 to 2pm
- Penny Richards --I'm driving from the South Bay, if anyone wants to carpool
User:Calliopejen1 -- will try to make itprobably can't come after all, sorry :(
- User:Sslib Sarah Sherman
- User:NatalieRameh-- from UCSD
- Chris Troutman (talk)
- User:Daphnemmw Daphne White
- Lisa Cartwright
Thanks to everyone who came and hung out with us at the ICI, it was great fun. We had a good mix of experienced and new editors, so special thanks to the old hands for helping and encouraging the newbies.Alafarge (talk) 17:34, 2 June 2014 (UTC)