Wikipedia:Meetup/Kuala Lumpur 6
|April 2019 +/-|
|Canberra, Australia||April 4, 2019|
|BLT @ Philadelphia, PA||April 5, 2019|
|Art+Feminism, @ Jacob Lawrence
Gallery, UW Seattle
|April 6, 2019|
|Kedah 1||April 14, 2019|
|London 141||April 14, 2019|
|San Diego 39 @ Chula Vista||April 14, 2019|
|SF Main Library @ San Francisco, CA||April 17, 2019|
|Kelantan 2||April 21, 2019|
|Oxford 71||April 28, 2019|
|BLT @ Houston, TX||April 30, 2019|
|May 2019 +/-|
|San Francisco Bay Area WikiSalon||May 1, 2019|
|BLT @ Houston||May 11, 2019|
|London 142||May 12, 2019|
|Palomar Observatory tour||May 19, 2019|
|Full Meetup Calendar|
For meetups in other languages, see the list on Meta
The Wikipedia Kuala Lumpur Meetup 6 (the 19th Wikipedia Malaysia Meetup) was the 6th Wikipedia meetup held at the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur. The meetup was the first held at a library. The meetup was held on:
- Date: Wednesday, 12 December 2018
- Time: 11:00-11:30 a.m.
- Venue: Bilik Mesyuarat BTM, 1st floor, Anjung Bestari PNM, National Library of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Medium of communication: Malay
- 1 Things to bring
- 2 Presenters
- 3 Topics
- 4 Minutes of Meeting
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Disability access
- 7 See also
Things to bring
- Camera (for group photo shooting)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Wikipedia in Malaysia
- Future Wikipedia workshops
Minutes of Meeting
Nor Shamsinar Binti Baharom
Perpustakaan Negara Malaysia
Bahagian Pengurusan Projek Digital
Pn.Nor contacted MYMMMC via WhatsApp. She was informed by her colleague [TO IDENTIFY] to arrange a sharing by WCUGM for the library's 'Technology Talk' series sharing sessions that started at 9am on 12/12/2018. We were to be given a 30 min slot on 12/12/20018 at 11. This contact was the result of WCUGM's invitation to 2018 World Library and Information Congress (WLIC 2018) organized by the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA).
- Zahuddin Sidek, BRSP
- Nor Shamisar Baharom, PMO Digital
- Suzilawati Salamat, BKD
- Norzehan Razali, PMO Digital
- Nur Azidah Azizan, BTM
- Zuliana Ab Rashid, BGLM
- Norazlan Norden, BTM
Reaction, Discussion, Analysis
- Only one of seven attendees are familiar with editing.
- Majority of were unfamiliar with the basics: nature of Wikis, Wikipedia, WikiProjects, volunteer editors, Language editions, 5 Pillars, editing, Wikimedia, Wikimedia Foundation and its "agenda", etc.
- Skepticism and questions on its quality, anonymous accounts, potentials remains; much of it came from their uni education.
How Can Wikimedia Assist PNM?
- Wikipedia as an upstream site to PNM, boosting their traffic (recent check on Alexa traffic analysis puts this feature out)
- Direct contact with some top editors
- Relevant sharing & workshops
- Digital commons assistance (PNM has a collection of ancient manuscripts)
How Can PNM Assist Wikimedia?
- Scepticism and greater interests from professional circles of Wikimedia
- Consideration of Wiki / the group withins PNM's projects/ goals
- Expert knowledge (Jawi usage, guidance in a settling of article quality disputes, etc.)
- Understanding of what is 'Wikipedia in Malaysia' via Daniel's thesis.
Potential Short-Term Actions
- Initial contact was to arrange for a talk on Wikidata, but the awareness and good will are more important for now.
- Identify personnel within the library's numerous departments that are keen on Wikimedia
- Prepare well for the January presentation that could include the director of PNM in its audience.
- Identify clearer idea of potential relationship
Overall this is a nice small step towards institutional relationships/partnership.
- Stop at KLCC station by Rapid KL.
- Take bus 403 Titiwangsa to National Heart Institute of Malaysia (IJN or Institut Jantung Negara) - (ask security or police officer there for more information)
- Take the nearest pedestrian bridge to cross the road to Perpustakaan Negara Malaysia
- Key-in Perpustakaan Negara Malaysia in Waze or Google Map
- Address: No. 232, Jalan Tun Razak, 50572 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Coordinate: 3°10'14.2"N 101°42'39.9"E
The passage to the venue was equipped with elevator.