Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/AfroCROWD/NYU Soul of Reason
Please note that this event is being postponed until furter notice.
|When and Where|
|Address||Zoom (register for link info)|
In the meantime: If you decide to edit as part of the greater AfroCROWD campaign, you can join our dashboard here. Thank you!
If you don't have a Wikipedia username/ account yet:
- Click here to get your own Wikipedia account and user name (we recommend avoiding using your real name for privacy purposes).
Also: You can hit the ground running by trying these ahead of the event:
- If you wish, take Wikipedia's own 30-minute online training and tour at The Wikipedia Adventure.
- You can access AfroCROWD Wikipedia tutorials on YouTube by clicking here.
- Other tutorials to check out:
Editing contribution types for new Wikipedia editors:
Is this your very first time? Try this:
- Add a biographical sentence: Start with a name, a birthday, an occupation or title, what they famously did, and (very importantly) a citation to verify your information from a credible source(s).
How to make a citation (bibliographical reference):
1) First, click on the pencil icon on the right to begin using "Visual Editor". Visual editor makes editing easier - like writing a school paper.
2) In Visual Editor, click on the area you want to add the citation. Then click cite. If you have a website as a source, add the website to the blank area.
If you do not have a website source, click manual and follow the prompts. Then click publish. If you have questions, ask a Wikimedia coach or go to Wikipedia:Tutorial/Citing sources.
3) Then click publish.
Editing Ideas: These have lists of potential articles to create/edit
- Soul of Reason guests, organizations, and creative works
- Soul of Reason episodes (Wikidata task list)
- AfroCrowd task list
- Wikipedia:Requested articles
- Wikipedia:WikiProject African diaspora
Others? please share below Editing lists
New York History
- Category:African-American history in New York City
- Intersection of People from New York City and American people of African descent
Relevant videos and other media
- Introduction to the AfroCROWD Wikimedia Initiative
- Introduction to Wikipedia Editing
- Creating and Editing Wikipedia Articles
- Adding Citations to Wikipedia
Available through NYU subscriptions
- African American Historical Serials Collection
- Proquest Central
- Project Muse
- Black Studies Center
- Credo Reference
- African American Music Reference
- Ebook Central
Available freely on the web
- Civil Rights digital library
- Independent Voices
- Internet Archive Text Library
- The Crisis (via google books)
- Jet Magazine (via google books)
- Black Enterprise (via google books)
- Ebony Magazine (via google books)
- Obsidian Collection Archives (digital exhibits focused on Black newspapers)
- African Activist Archive
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Directory of Open Access Books
- Schomburg Digital Projects
More useful resources
- Learning tools