|November 2017 +/-|
|Behn/Burney Society||November 1, 2017|
|Perth 42||November 4, 2017|
|Tampa||November 4, 2017|
|DC: Statistics 2017||November 11, 2017|
|San Diego 25||November 12, 2017|
|London 124||November 12, 2017|
|EaT7 @ Amon Carter Museum||November 16, 2017|
|DC: Improving Artist Diversity||November 18, 2017|
|Oxford 56||November 19, 2017|
|Wikipedia workshop, Salford||November 19, 2017|
|Cambridge 36||November 25, 2017|
|ZA 2017 Annual General Meeting||November 25, 2017|
|Manchester 34||November 26, 2017|
|Bay Area WikiSalon @ WMF new SF HQ||November 29, 2017|
|Edinburgh 12||November 30, 2017|
|December 2017 +/-|
|San Diego 26||December 2, 2017|
|DC: Women's Empowerment Edit-a-thon||December 8, 2017|
|BLT @ NYC||December 9, 2017|
|London 125||December 10, 2017|
|Full Meetup Calendar|
Call Lane at 206.801.0814 if there are any problems getting here!
The January 2013 Wikimedia NYC meetup will be at Consumer Reports in Yonkers on Tuesday, January 15 beginning with a tour at 3pm.
Consumer Reports is a research facility, publisher, and advocacy organization. Most of the organization's scientists and engineers work in any of the 50 laboratories at the Yonkers headquarters. Almost all of the publishing work happens here also. For the January NYC Wikipedia meetup, Wikipedians are invited on a tour of this place to ask questions about Consumer Reports' interest in Wikipedia and what this could mean for Wikipedians in the area and internationally.
Consumer Reports is best known as a product testing organization. Staff here review dozens of every kind of household appliance, household product, and consumer good. The tour will include visits to about seven laboratories and the engineers who manage them. Most things in laboratories can be photographed. In addition to the tour the staff here is curious to meet Wikipedians and would like to talk with any who visit.
Getting to Consumer Reports
Consumer Reports is at 101 Truman Avenue in Yonkers. Come in the front door and tell the person at the desk that you are with the Wikipedia tour.
There is no easy public transportation within about a mile of here. At 2:50pm there will be a taxi from the Hastings station on the Metro North Hudson Line to Consumer Reports - one person has requested this. If the taxi should wait for others then please note here. Upon request, there can also be a shuttle back to the Hastings station sometime after the tour ends. At 5:20, 5:50, and 6:20, there are shuttles from Consumer Reports to the 1 line on 242nd Street in the Bronx.
It would also be possible to arrange transportation from the end of the 1 subway line at 242nd and Broadway in the Bronx to Consumer Reports.
- 2:30pm - anyone who arrives early will be received by Lane to talk.
- 3:15-4:30 pm - a tour which walks through several laboratories
- 4:30-5:15 - discussion with Consumer Reports staff. Perhaps you have questions for them and they also have questions for you.
- 5:15pm-till whenever - leave Consumer Reports to go for coffee and dinner somewhere
There will be a taxi at Hastings on Hudson to retrieve people who leave Grand Central by Metro North Hudson line at 1:20 to arrive there at 1:59. If other people were planning to come later to that station, please post here!
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:00, 7 January 2013 (UTC)
- Jim.henderson (talk) 14:56, 9 January 2013 (UTC) Leaving Grand Central on 1:20 train
- Pharos (talk) 19:15, 9 January 2013 (UTC) probably getting on the Grand Central 1:20 train with Jim
- Cool! AstroCog (talk) 22:57, 9 January 2013 (UTC)
- I'll be there! Also, I could give ~4 people a ride from the station.Outis010 (talk) 18:19, 10 January 2013 (UTC)
- Very excited about this tour!! ZzPianoman (talk) 21:21, 13 January 2013 (UTC)
- Highly unlikely. Mitch32(The man most unlikely to drive 25 before 24.) 20:37, 9 January 2013 (UTC)
- METRO annual meeting is the same day -- kosboot (talk) 21:26, 14 January 2013 (UTC)
- Jweiss11 (talk) 05:49, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
- Some day I'll be independently wealthy and therefore free at 3pm on weekdays. Until then...day job. A fluffernutter is a sandwich! (talk) 15:44, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
Photos from the tour can go here.
I have uploaded to Flickr the better photos (direct link) that I took on the tour. I haven't put them in Commons yet. Lane, maybe you can look through them and make sure it's ok to publish these on WP? AstroCog (talk) 16:16, 16 January 2013 (UTC)
- I asked about this and no one opposed, plus we had initial consent for Wikipedians to take pictures. Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to give anyone time to comment. I would like to see these shared on Wikipedia if you would. Blue Rasberry (talk) 10:32, 4 February 2013 (UTC)