The 19th New York City Meetup event was held on Saturday, May 22, 2010 at OpenPlans in Lower Manhattan.
OpenPlans is the new name of The Open Planning Project (TOPP), and is a fellow partner in our Free Culture Alliance NYC discussions.
What, Where, When, and How?
There is one public meeting in the afternoon at OpenPlans, where we take further steps to organize the Wikimedia New York City local chapter, and provide a salon-style forum for discussion of Wikipedia and Wikimedia issues.
Additionally, there is an optional post-meeting dinner at a neighborhood restaurant.
Main public meeting
(to discuss Wikipedia issues and Wikimedia NYC chapter issues):
- OpenPlans 148 Lafayette St, between Howard and Grand in Lower Manhattan. Meeting to be held in the fantastic penthouse event space on the 13th floor. 2:30 PM - 5:00PM
Optional post-meeting meetup
- Meetup at OpenPlans, and then walk together to a neighborhood restaurant (The Red Egg, 202 Center St.). 5:00 PM onwards.
Late arrival info and Transportation
If you plan on arriving late, and are concerned about not finding your way to the group, you can drop your mobile phone number ahead of time at Special:Emailuser/Pharos (e-mail will not be able to be checked during the actual meetup time; leave requests ahead of time).
Nearby subway stations:
Bring your own ideas!
- Follow-up on ideas raised in the March meeting and since.
- Chapter business
- Incorporation follow-up- 501(c)(3) status, etc
- Planning for Wiki-Conference NYC II in August 2010
- Reviewing Wikipedia at the Library workshop at New York Area Theological Library Association in Princeton
- Potential for 'Wikipedian in Residence' and Wikipedia Cultural Embassy programs at New York Public Library, UN Photo Library and Girl Scouts USA
- Intern projects: Gabriel & Lights Camera Wiki!, and Archana & Wikineighborhoods
- Getting Wikimedia NYC office space and summer internships
- Growing partnerships through Free Culture Alliance NYC- 15 members and counting (and first meeting held)!
- The Wiki World's Fair idea: not dead yet!
- Wikimania 2010 in July @ Gdansk
- Other suggestions for projects?
- Speakers and roundtable discussions
- Open Video Conference and the NYC free culture community
- Possible in-depth discussion on Wiki-Conference NYC II in August 2010
- Update on Commons , pornography , and Jimbo
Attendees of record
- Wikipedians/Wikimedians, from the sign-up sheet.
Topics of discussion
And it all ended with dinner at Red Egg.