Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Wikipedia Day 2018
|This meetup page is an archive of a past event. Please do not edit the contents of this page.|
|When and Where|
|Date:||Sunday, January 14, 2018|
|Time:||10:00 am – 6:30 pm EST|
20 W. 29th Street
New York, NY 10001
The Wikipedia Day 2018 NYC was an all day celebration and mini-conference held on Sunday, January 14, 2018, hosted by Wikimedia New York City at the Ace Hotel in Manhattan. This Wikipedia Day celebrated Wikipedia's 17th birthday and we had about 150 attendees joining conversations about Wikimedia and allied projects presented by Free Culture Alliance NYC partners.
Please sign your name below with your Wikipedia account to register so that we can plan catering! Alternatively, register with Ace Hotel if you do not have a Wikipedia account, but you can create an account easily now if you like! Please see last year's schedule and recorded sessions if you need to see examples of what sorts of talks will happen this year!
- Date: Sunday, January 14, 2018
- Time: 10:00 am – 6:30 pm
- Location: Ace Hotel, Lower Level and Lobby, 20 W. 29th Street, New York, NY 10001
- Access: Please enter and use hotel entrance (not restaurant entrance)
- Participation: Participation (food and cake!) will be free, with room for ~100 participants
- Welcome: All are welcome. We are especially interested in seeing newcomers to join the experienced Wikipedians/Wikimedians. We also hope for the participation of our friends from the Free Culture movement and from cultural institutions interested in developing Open Education projects. All attendees must agree to follow our Friendly Space Policies.
- Wifi: There is wifi access, and we will give you the log in details on-site. N.B. Projectors will also probably be available for use by the various presenters.
- Food: Ace Hotel's own restaurant The Breslin will provide a coffee, bagel, and fruit breakfast and a lunch suitable for vegans and omnivores. And it wouldn't be much of a birthday without cake, so we'll have plenty of that too.
- Facebook: ---
- Twitter: #WikipediaDay
- Video Livestream: Livestream | Facebook simulcast
- Video archive: https://archive.org/details/wikidaynyc2018 (will be uploaded to Commons once converted to ogv)
Wikipedia Day 2018 will be a modified unconference, with dedicated plenary sessions (organized on this wiki), lightning talks to the whole assembly, and open space sessions. The Lightning Talks and Open Space will be determined during the event itself, so bring your ideas with you.
There are open rooms! The conference will feature opportunities for you or anyone else to speak on stage to all attendees and invite a small group to a breakout sessions to discuss any topic which matters to you! This is an interactive event so plan to participate!
The event will be in four areas on the lower level of Ace Hotel New York:
- Liberty Hall is the main space for all plenary sessions. The Internet Society will livestream and record all talks here. See keynotes and panel sessions in this track.
- Commons Bar, a breakout, chill space
- Board Room, a breakout room with table for 15 people to have a focused discussion
- The upstairs Lobby is an additional option for break-out spaces for small groups.
|Liberty Hall||Board Room||Commons Bar|
|9:30 am||Doors open and Welcome!|
|10:00 am – 10:15 am||Calls for open space proposals
Propose a 30-minute discussion or presentation!
|Coffee time, bagels and muffins|
|10:15 am – 10:30 am||Welcome from Wikimedia NYC|
Post open space proposals to schedule
|10:30 am – 10:55 am||Outreach campaign panel||(open)|
|11:00 am – 11:50 am||Keynote presentation: Jason Scott from Textfiles.com and Internet Archive|
|12:00 pm – 12:55 pm||Education panel||Introduction to Wikipedia||(chill space)|
|1:00 pm – 2:00 pm||LUNCH|
|2:00 pm – 2:50 pm||Cultural Partners panel||(chill space)|
|3:00 pm – 3:25 pm||Reaching all languages||Yuri Astrakhan presents Wiki Tech!|
|3:30 pm – 3:55 pm||Lightning talks I|
|4:00 pm – 4:25 pm||Jackie Koerner presents implicit bias||Open Space: Wikipedia's Role in Free Culture and Net Neutrality|
|4:30 pm – 4:55 pm||Andrew Lih presents Wikidata!||Open Space: Paid Editing and COI|
|5:00 pm – 5:25 pm||What's Wrong with Online Communities?||Open Space: Copyright and Wikipedia|
|5:30 pm – 6:30 pm||Lightning Talks II and Closing|
- Outreach campaign panel
When Wikipedians plan outreach, which groups do we target for the most impact and why? Hear from three of the most successful outreach campaigns!
- Textfiles.com, Internet Archive, and Wikimedia projects are all good friends!
- Nonprofit media organizations collaborate and support each other!
- Education panel — moderator Ryan McGrady
Students edit Wikipedia too! Instructors and students will speak up in this panel to describe how they use Wikimedia projects in the classroom.
- Jeffrey Keefer, New York University - Spring 1, 2018 course to be discussed is here
- Shelly Eversley, Baruch College - Fall 2017 course to be discussed is here ; -Entries are linked to here.
- Rachel Bogan, CUNY Graduate Center - -Entries are linked to here.
- Reaching all languages
NYC has the greatest language diversity in the world. What projects can people in NYC support to increase the availability of information in all languages?
- Daniel Bogre Udell presents Wikitongues, a video archive of native languages!
- Cultural partners panel
A panel with Wikipedians in residence sharing how they support their organization's wiki efforts. How do partnerships like these work?
- Chemical Heritage Foundation - User:Mary Mark Ockerbloom
- Consumer Reports - User:Bluerasberry
- Metropolitan Museum of Art - User:Pharos
- Yuri Astrakhan presents Wiki Tech!
- Andrew Lih presents Wikidata!
- Race and Online communities
We point to our friendly space policy then have an expert presenter speak about being nice online!
Add your 5-minute lightning talk topic here!
Present a brief talk about wiki topics or anything free culture-related. Actual schedule for lightning talks will be determined the day of event. Lighting talks with active discussions can break out into Open Space sessions!
- Free-Programming-Books by user:Openly
- WikiProject sum of all paintings--Pharos (talk) 16:20, 11 December 2017 (UTC)
- Wikipedia Visiting Scholars — Rhododendrites talk \\ 22:12, 8 January 2018 (UTC)
- Documenting NYC protests and demonstrations on Wikimedia Commons — Rhododendrites talk \\ 22:11, 8 January 2018 (UTC)
- Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together, a WebJunction training program for public librarians Vizzylane (talk) 02:11, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- Editing at Interference Archive: Increasing coverage of social activism and making ephemera collections visible Napplicable (talk) 9 January 2018
- AfroCROWD Columbia University Oral History Project on Marginalized Ethnic and Linguistic Communities, presented by Columbia University Oral History MA Student Dian Zi
- Update on cool new scripts/tools I wrote, AfC-related or not (links: toollabs:apersonbot/pending-subs, toollabs:yabbr, User: Enterprisey/reply-link) Enterprisey (talk!) 07:34, 11 January 2018 (UTC)
- Kurt Boone Lightning Talk on starting a "Street Culture Portal" on Wiki
- Om Kundu Lightning Talk on "The Calling to Save For What Matters"
- Internet Society of NY: Connect globally. Act locally. Talk by Joe Plotkin, Board member, ISOC-NY
- Getting an article to Good Article status: Yoko Ono article as a case study--A21sauce (talk) 01:42, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- Requested articles and an example of how to build an article. PointsofNoReturn (talk) 03:14, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
Open space sessions
Add your open space topic here!
- Notability and inclusion(ism)--Pharos (talk) 16:18, 11 December 2017 (UTC)
- Promotionalism and conflict of interest, including paid editing DGG ( talk ) 02:15, 13 December 2017 (UTC)
- Wikidata, its limitations, and its possibilities--Pharos (talk) 02:22, 30 December 2017 (UTC)
- I have a scheduling conflict in the morning through mid-day, but will attend the last couple of hours, and would be glad to give an open space talk. Topic TBA. Newyorkbrad (talk) 22:44, 5 January 2018 (UTC)
- Copyright and intellectual property issues
- Role of Wikipedia/Wikimedia in a free and open internet
- Wikipedia introductory workshop (for newbies)
- An updated version of my presentation on how Wikimedians can lower the environmental impact of their wiki-related activities, now that I've seen Lukas Mezger's presentation on the Sustainability Initiative at last year's Wikimania. Daniel Case (talk) 21:59, 11 January 2018 (UTC)
Livestream and media
- Simulcast: https://www.facebook.com/isocny/
- Koerner, Jackie (25 January 2018). "I celebrated Wikipedia Day with Wikimedia NYC". JackieKoerner.com.
Past Wikipedia Days
To give you an idea of the range of activities and sessions:
- Wikipedia Day 2010 NYC
- Wikipedia Day 2011 NYC
- Wikipedia Day 2012 NYC
- Wikipedia Day 2013 NYC
- Wikipedia Day 2015 NYC
- Wikipedia Day 2016 NYC
- Wikipedia Day 2017 NYC
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wikipedia Day 17 NYC.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wikipedia Day 2018 NYC videos.|
Don't have a Wikipedia account? Sign-up with our partners at the Ace Hotel.
- See English Wikipedia global listings for Wikipedia Day 2018
- sheridanford (talk) 11:56, 31 December 2017 (UTC). I'll be traveling to Mexico that day. If i could pull it together, could I share a video as a lightning talk? Learned so much more this year from hosting WikiEdu courses snd from my own editing.
- out of town for the holiday weekend :( Aude (talk) 16:17, 6 January 2018 (UTC)
- Stuck in Florida with two types of doctors appointments next week. No way I could possibly make it. ---------User:DanTD (talk) 02:58, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- ɱ (talk) · vbm · coi) 15:49, 13 January 2018 (UTC) Likely won't happen anymore due to sudden illness. Family and/or friends might try to attend anyway?
- Artaxerxes (talk) -- 17:31, 14 December 2017 (UTC)
- Elyaqim (talk) 13:30, 18 December 2017 (UTC) (This event conflicts with the monthly afternoon meeting of a community organization wherefor I volunteer, and it may be too ambitious for me to attend in the morning and return in the evening.)
- Jahaza (talk) 16:45, 18 December 2017 (UTC) (Sundays are difficult because of Church commitments. If I come, it'll be in the afternoon.)
- Emjackson42 (talk) 14:37, 28 December 2017 (UTC)
- A21sauce (talk) 19:58, 2 January 2018 (UTC)
- SnowFire (talk) 08:41, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- MusikAnimal talk 19:28, 14 January 2018 (UTC) Fighting a cold, but I still hope to show my face
- Shanluan (talk) 13:50, 22 November 2017 (UTC)
- Enjen99 (talk) 18:34, 1 December 2017 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 18:01, 7 December 2017 (UTC)
- kosboot (talk) 21:08, 7 December 2017 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:54, 11 December 2017 (UTC)
- DGG ( talk ) 02:14, 13 December 2017 (UTC)
- Taikage (talk) 21:28, 14 December 2017 (UTC)
- Vizzylane (talk) 00:05, 15 December 2017 (UTC)
- King of ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ 04:03, 15 December 2017 (UTC)
- S.ann.adams (talk) 16:27, 17 December 2017 (UTC)
- Openly (talk) 16:18, 18 December 2017 (UTC)
- Dbudell (talk) 12:08, 18 December 2017 (UTC-5)
- Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 03:23, 21 December 2017 (UTC)
- Enterprisey (talk!) 06:00, 21 December 2017 (UTC)
- — Rhododendrites talk \\ 00:53, 22 December 2017 (UTC)
- Mkdw talk 21:04, 23 December 2017 (UTC)
- Mozucat (talk) 17:46, 27 December 2017 (UTC)
- Arglebargle79 (talk) 00:21, 28 December 2017 (UTC)
- BlaueBlüte (talk) 07:19, 28 December 2017 (UTC)
- Mirza Ahmed (talk) 18:51, 28 December 2017 (UTC)
- Gina Zammit + 1 18:18, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
- PointsofNoReturn (talk) 01:50, 30 December 2017 (UTC)
- HugoHelp (talk) 04:11, 30 December 2017 (UTC)
- Shanluan (talk) 13:22, 30 December 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Case (talk) 04:56, 31 December 2017 (UTC)
- nycdi (talk) 05:10, 31 December 2017 (UTC)
- Suzanna Schmeelk (talk) 05:56, 31 December 2017 (UTC)
- --Joshualouie711talk 01:28, 1 January 2018 (UTC)
- Jim.henderson (talk) 18:35, 1 January 2018 (UTC)
- FULBERT (talk) 21:15, 1 January 2018 (UTC)
- Kkbirds (talk) 02:30, 2 January 2018 (UTC)
- Kbwords (talk) 14:21, 2 January 2018 (UTC)
- LikesLibraries (talk) 22:01, 2 January 2018 (UTC)
- Napplicable (talk) 22:05, 3 January 2018 (UTC)
- EditorEls (talk) 02:41, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
- Jackiekoerner (talk) 19:05, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
- Shubhneet rhs (talk) 20:01, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
- 188.8.131.52 (talk) 22:45, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
- Librarianhelen (talk) 12:29, 5 January 2018 (UTC)
- Valentine camano (talk) 16:18, 5 January 2018 (UTC)
- Jeremyb (talk) 22:20, 5 January 2018 (UTC)
- NSubZero (talk) 21:25, 6 January 2018 (UTC)
- Cocoaguy ここがいい 20:15, 7 January 2018 (UTC)
- ~ Tom.Reding (talk ⋅dgaf) 22:04, 7 January 2018 (UTC)
- Lisa J Imnotlostrui (talk) 06:17, 8 January 2018 (UTC)
- Jweiss11 (talk) 03:11, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- — Dispenser 12:39, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- creeeeeg 15:44, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- Doctorpd (talk) 16:33, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- Rolery02 (talk) 18:13, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- Magdalamar (talk) Magdalamar (talk) 19:43, 9 January 2018 (UTC)
- Krouncha (talk) 00:32, 10 January 2018 (UTC)
- 2604:2000:E14B:9D00:8C04:D30F:6E46:CEEB (talk) 04:46, 10 January 2018 (UTC)
- I'd like to attend the event and bring one guest. Thank you. AaronWeisman (talk) 20:40, 10 January 2018 (UTC)
- acellisauniverse and a guest. Acellisauniverse (talk) 01:30, 11 January 2018 (UTC)
- Can't believe I'm saying yes, but damn glad I am. Mitch32(The many fail: the one succeeds.) 03:07, 11 January 2018 (UTC)
- 2600:1017:B41B:1E52:1C31:E2C6:AE18:54AF (talk) 19:50, 11 January 2018 (UTC)
- Scottandrewhutchins (talk) 22:58, 11 January 2018 (UTC) Will likely arrive around 1 PM.
- Taikage (talk) 16:12, 12 January 2018 (UTC)
- Taoofx (talk) 21:32, 12 January 2018 (UTC)
- RSVP attendance. Please confirm. Best, Barbara Bullard Barbara Bullard (talk) 04:51, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- KAnds42 (talk) 08:11, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- C. Zawadi Morris BK Reader (talk) 12:12, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- Truthbene23 (talk) 14:28, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- Sophie8614 (talk) 17:33, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- Heathart (talk) 22:40, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- Becksguy (talk) 22:58, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- Phelanm (talk) 05:40, 14 January 2018 (UTC)