The WikNYC Barbecue/ Picnic, the "picnic anyone can edit", will be in Governors Island on Sunday July 9, 2017, as part of the Great American Wiknic celebrations being held across the USA.
See past WikNYC awesomeness at:
The reserved grill and picnicking area is in Governors Island's Nolan Park section 40°41′23″N 74°0′44″W / 40.68972°N 74.01222°WCoordinates: 40°41′23″N 74°0′44″W / 40.68972°N 74.01222°W
Picnic runs from 1 PM to 6 PM. Last ferry leaves the island at 7.
Wiknickers stand before Buttermilk Channel
Another shot of these Great American Wiknickers
- Potluck: Remember it's a wiki-picnic, which means potluck! Please sign up (below) to bring something!
Ferries connect Governors Island to Manhattan and Brooklyn. First boats to the island 10 and 11 AM. Last boats leaving the island, 7 PM. Bicycles are allowed on the boats but the island already has Citi Bikes.
Take #1, R or W train to South Ferry/Whitehall Street (New York City Subway). Don't enter the big Staten Island Ferry building; turn left (east) and enter the smaller, older Battery Maritime Building. 10 AM, 11 AM and 11:30 boats are free. Later boats, buy your ticket inside, $2. Boats run on the hour and half hour.
At the island it's a short thousand feet (300m) walk. Get off the boat, turn left, and walk along the water. When you see picnic tables under trees, you are there. Next to last grill is #5.
In Brooklyn the ferry dock is at Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park at Atlantic Avenue. 11 AM and 11:30 boats are free; others are $2 and leave Brooklyn on the half hour. Citi Bike parking is nearby; car parking is not. Atlantic Avenue B63 Cobble Hill bus connects to Atlantic Avenue subway stations.
Arriving at Yankee Pier on Governors Island, get off the boat, turn right, and walk 2000 ft (600m ) to the picnic tables.
The East River ferry and South Brooklyn ferry of NYC Ferry connect the island to various places in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn. Some of those places have parking lots. Fare is higher and trips are less often than for Governors Island's own ferries but you get a better view of the City. Get off the boat and turn left, 300 ft (100m). This ferry pier is even closer to the picnic than the others.
Volunteer to bring potluck food, supplies and recreations
No grocery stores on the island. Food and supplies must be brought on the boat.
- Sandwiches, meat, etc (we have a grill!)
- Hot dogs--Pharos (talk) 11:00, 6 July 2017 (UTC)
- Burger and veggieburgers--Pharos (talk) 18:01, 6 July 2017 (UTC)
- Breadstuffs, pasta
- Italian pasta salad (vegetarian--with cheese)--DrX (talk) 22:10, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
- Breads--Pharos (talk) 11:00, 6 July 2017 (UTC)
- Salads, fruits, veggies
- Hummus, condiments and spreads
- Cultural specialty dishes
- DGG ( talk ) 15:26, 9 July 2017 (UTC)
- Water and soft drinks
- Water, RC Cola, 7up, orange stuff. — Dispenser 19:05, 8 July 2017 (UTC)
- Staking out space and bringing signage
- real forks--DrX (talk) 22:11, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
- --Depending on how many we are--cups and plates and napkins--DrX (talk) 22:11, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
- Charcoal/fire making/matches
- I'll get some supplies for this.--Pharos (talk) 10:58, 6 July 2017 (UTC)
- Internet (mobile hotspot)
Fun and games
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:26, 6 July 2017 (UTC)
- Becksguy (talk) 08:16, 9 July 2017 (UTC)
- Stuck inside on a beautiful July Sunday, dealing with a work emergency. Wish I were there with all of you! Newyorkbrad (talk) 15:26, 9 July 2017 (UTC)
- sheridanford (talk) 23:27, 17 June 2017 (UTC)
- Emjackson42 (talk) 23:03, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- I Love Pi Day 00:25, 24 June 2017 (UTC)
- kosboot (talk) 02:29, 29 June 2017 (UTC)
- DGG ( talk ) 05:12, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
- BlaueBlüte (talk) 18:28, 8 July 2017 (UTC)