This is the planning page for the Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia Wikipedia meetup. At these get-togethers, Wikipedians can spend time chatting about their experiences of Wikipedia and enjoy being with people who share their love of Wikipedia.
Wikipedians are a very diverse group of people. Some are "nerds" or "geeks" who have great computer knowledge, but many have knowledge in areas like humanities, politics, geography, local history, sport, sex and so on. Wikipedians can be old or young, male or female, sport-watchers or sport-haters, radical leftists or ultra-conservatives, atheists, Christians, Muslims or worshipers of the Spaghetti Monster.
But we all share one thing in common - our interest in the growth and quality of Wikipedia.
Meetups are a way for us all to get together. We all have wonderful and not-so-wonderful stories to tell about Wikipedia that non-Wikipedians just can't understand. Meetups are generally informal gatherings where we might drink coffee or eat a meal together and talk for a few hours. There's no dress code and you can invite "non-Wikipedians" (like spouses or interested friends). --One Salient Oversight
It would help us to locate you if you had this userbox on your page, or otherwise Category:Wikipedians in Newcastle, New South Wales on your userpage:
- This is a list of users who are interested in future meetups in Newcastle, New South Wales.
- One Salient Oversight (Lives in Waratah)
- Colin MacLaurin (formerly from Newcastle and Lake Macquarie)
- Athol Mullen (Lives in Cardiff)
- David Williams (Lives in Newcastle. Professional IT writer)
- User:Snorre (Lives in Newcastle. Originally from Norway. Studied at Newcastle Uni)
- Ta bu shi da yu (Lives in Sydney, but I'd love to come!)
- User:Sumthingweird (Lives in Waratah West)
- User:AussieLegend (born in Newcastle, lives in Raymond Terrace)
- Angela and Tim Starling
- Marj (works in Newcastle, lives on the Central Coast)
- kwan-in (from South Korea. Studying at Newcastle Uni)
- Damien Linnane (lives in Newcastle)
- This is a list of people who have been contacted regarding Newcastle meetups. They were discovered by Google searching Wikipedia user pages to see if anyone matched up "Newcastle" and "Australia". If you are on this list and do not wish to be contacted, just remove your name.
- User:Rockfox (works at WEA Hunter)
- User:Darkliight (Student/Graduate from Newcastle Uni / Lives on Central Coast)
- User:BigDan (Lives in Scone)
- User:Todd661 (Lives in Central Coast)
- User:Mattopaedia (Student/Graduate from Newcastle Uni)
- User:JessB (Student at Newcastle Uni)
- User:AndrewKepert (Lecturer at Newcastle Uni - Ourimbah)
- Jason Quarry (Graduate from Newcastle Uni, now living in Brisbane)
- User:Eemo crash (Student at Newcastle Uni)
- User:Broccoccino (lives in Newcastle)
- User:Highvoltageacdc (lives at Bar Beach)
Wikimedia Australia Community Conference, Sydney, 15 June 2019
For more information, please see Wikimedia Australia Community Conference, Sydney, 15 June 2019 via Kerry (talk) 10:18, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
Next meetup: Sydney?
There is a backstage pass coming up to be followed by an editathon in the State Library of New South Wales on Saturday 23 November. I'm hoping some of you might be able to make it down the big smoke for the occasion. This is the first time that an Australian cultural institution has opened its doors to us in this way and will be a special opportunity because the Library is providing: one of its best rooms; its expert curators (along with their expertise and their white gloves); a newly launched website (containing new resources); and of course, items from its collection (including rare and usually unavailable material) which we can look at, learn from, and use, to improve WP articles. For example, on the chosen topic (Australia and WWI), the Library holds many diaries and manuscripts from the period.
As you can see from the Library's project page, they have connected this editathon with their own work. They have already set out a wide range of resources to make things easier for us. Please sign up on the editathon project page if you can participate either online or in person with other Wikipedians. Hope to see you there! 99of9 (talk) 11:08, 19 November 2013 (UTC)
The smallest possible meetup occurred with User:One Salient Oversight and User:Colin MacLaurin having dinner on a cold, wet Hamilton night. Attendance was probably low for weather reasons - it was just over a week since the 2007 Hunter region and Central Coast storms so we could forgive people for not turning up. A nice Turkish meal was enjoyed, along with some bellydancing and a patron who had been listening to us speak and came over to talk, as well as a waitress who had heard about Wikipedia and was interested in checking out the meetup page. Good things start small.
Would it be possbile to get a new Newcastle userbox featuring the Customs House photo from the meetup userbox? Or another Newcastle phot, rather than just the NSW flag? I'd like to one on my user page (which says I'm from Sydney; I've been living here for the past year, but I'm a Novocastrian at heart and plan to return in 2008) Bruiseviolet (talk) 23:15, 26 November 2007 (UTC)