The 2016 Great American Wiknicin Philadelphia this year was part of the worldwide Wiknic program. It was held on Saturday, July 30, 2016 between 1pm-5pm EDT at the Picnic Grove in Penn Park (Map), at the University of Pennsylvania, within walking distance of 30th Street Station. The Picnic Grove is the group of picnic tables, under the trees, right next to the elevated train tracks. It's southwest of the Penn Park parking lot.
The event is on. There may be some light rain later, so bring a rain jacket.
Penn Park is 24 acres of beautiful, continuous open space on the eastern edge of campus that includes athletic and recreational fields owned and operated by the University. Penn Park is adjacent to Walnut Street from the north, South Street from the south, Amtrak's Northeast Corridor rail line from the east, and SEPTA's Regional Rail line from the west.
A Wiknic is a great easy-in to real life Wikipedia culture, and can lead to greater participation in the wiki-community slowly growing in Philadelphia! Sharing of foodstuffs, like sharing knowledge, is invited and encouraged; accordingly, the Wiknic will be run on potluck basis.
The Wiknic is at the Picnic Grove of Penn Park (Map).
- Lovely overview of the venue
- Yelp, Inc. page
- Google map
- Map of Penn Park (pdf)
- Directions to Penn Park
- Access: Paley Bridge (South Street) connects to Franklin Field, the Palestra, and the Weiss Pavilion area, which connect to 33rd Street; Walnut Street bridge links the intersection of 30th and Walnut into the Park; Weave Bridge connects the Park over the AMTRAK rail lines to the athletic fields south of Hollenback Center; Class of 1976 Entrance Plaza is located at 31st and Lower Walnut Street adjacent to Penn’s Ice Rink at the Class of 1923 arena; 31st Street is the only car route to the Park, providing access to parking lot on Lower Walnut Street.
- Parking: 31st and Lower Walnut Streets ($8 a day; the lot is open 24 hours and monitored from 7 am until 12 pm)
- Restrooms: There are two restrooms at Penn Plaza between the multipurpose stadium and Hamlin Tennis Center. They are open to the public during Park hours (6 am to Midnight)
- Really bad weather backup: Starbucks at 3401 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19104 (215) 387-1914; unless announced on this page, we're meeting at Penn Park's Picnic Grove
- Organizer contact info: Mattflaschen
What to Bring
- Food and snacks enough for yourself or to share with fellow Wikipedians
- A blanket, or towel
- Sunscreen; maybe a hat
- Beach umbrellas
- Water, drinks, and ice
- Friends, acquaintances, boyfriends, girlfriends, partners, editors, museumists, students, peers
- Small gifts for other Wikipedians (surprise someone with a token trinket or barnstar of appreciation)
- Portable wiki and free culture accoutrements
- Knowledge-related literature, poetry, spoken word, or raps
- A smiling, great attitude of civility, open knowledge, and statesmanship
Sign up to bring something
What not to bring or do
No... guns, illegal drugs, smoking, climbing trees, noise makers, threatening or lewd behavior, public urination, cleats (sharp shoes), contact sports, feeding animals, pets off leash, bikes on bridges, skateboards, camping, littering, bad attitudes.
Depending on a permit, drinking alcohol (if legal age) may be permitted. Same with grilling (if legal age). We'll explore this, but assume both are not allowed, for now.
The Wiknic adopts the Friendly space policy. Any discriminatory or harassing behavior is forbidden and will result in being required to leave. Everyone should enjoy themselves and feel comfortable!
Use respect, common sense, civility, and good will. We're here to have fun while representing Wikipedia to the wonderful city of Philadelphia.
Things we might also do
- Talk about GLAM events in the city, especially the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Plan to take over the world
- I'm coming! (most likely)
- Mattflaschen - Talk 09:14, 4 July 2016 (UTC)
- Thnidu (talk) 05:12, 9 July 2016 (UTC) — Sure, Shakesbeer runs till 11pm EDT!
- --DThomsen8 (talk) 16:43, 29 July 2016 (UTC)
- Can't make it this time, but I wish I was there
- Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 20:51, 4 July 2016 (UTC) - Sadly I will be away, but I'm delighted you're getting this together!
- Richard James
- Hope to make it