The 2013 Great American Wiknic will grace Philadelphia this year as part of the worldwide Wiknic program. It will be held on Saturday June 22, 2013 between 1pm-5pm EST at the Picnic Grove in Penn Park, at the University of Pennsylvania, within walking distance of 30th Street Station.
Penn Park is 24 acres of beautiful, continuous open space on the eastern edge of campus that includes athletic and recreational fields owned and operated by the University. Penn Park is adjacent to Walnut Street from the north, South Street from the south, Amtrak's Northeast Corridor rail line from the east, and SEPTA's Regional Rail line from the west.
A Wiknic is a great easy-in to real life Wikipedia culture, and can lead to greater participation in the wiki-community slowly growing in Philadelphia! Sharing of foodstuffs, like sharing knowledge, is invited and encouraged; accordingly, the Wiknic will be run on potluck basis.
- Lovely overview of the venue
- Yelp, Inc. page
- Google map
- Map of Penn Park (pdf)
- Directions to Penn Park
- Access: Paley Bridge (South Street) connects to Franklin Field, the Palestra, and the Weiss Pavilion area, which connect to 33rd Street; Walnut Street bridge links the intersection of 30th and Walnut into the Park; Weave Bridge connects the Park over the AMTRAK rail lines to the athletic fields south of Hollenback Center; Class of 1976 Entrance Plaza is located at 31st and Lower Walnut Street adjacent to Penn’s Ice Rink at the Class of 1923 arena; 31st Street is the only car route to the Park, providing access to parking lot on Lower Walnut Street.
- Parking: 31st and Lower Walnut Streets ($8 a day; the lot is open 24 hours and monitored from 7 am until 12 pm)
- Restrooms: There are two restrooms at Penn Plaza between the multipurpose stadium and Hamlin Tennis Center. They are open to the public during Park hours (6 am to Midnight)
- Really bad weather backup: Starbucks at 3401 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19104 (215) 387-1914; unless announced on this page, we're meeting at Penn Park's Picnic Grove
- Organizer contact info: Ocaasi, wikiocaasiyahoo.com
What to Bring
- Food and snacks enough for yourself or to share with fellow Wikipedians
- A blanket, or towel
- Sunscreen; maybe a hat
- Beach umbrellas
- Water, drinks, and ice
- Friends, acquaintances, boyfriends, girlfriends, partners, editors, museumists, students, peers
- Small gifts for other Wikipedians (surprise someone with a token trinket or barnstar of appreciation)
- Portable wiki and free culture accoutrements
- Knowledge-related literature, poetry, spoken word, or raps
- A smiling, great attitude of civility, open knowledge, and statesmanship
Sign up to bring something
- Wikipedia stickers, buttons, and other schwag, trail mix -- Ocaasi t | c 15:22, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
- Wikipedia Editor hats. --DThomsen8 (talk) 14:46, 25 May 2013 (UTC)
- Forks!! User: Shadowwalker2
What not to bring or do
No... guns, illegal drugs, smoking, climbing trees, noise makers, threatening or lewd behavior, public urination, cleats (sharp shoes), contact sports, feeding animals, pets off leash, bikes on bridges, skateboards, camping, littering, bad attitudes.
Depending on a permit, drinking alcohol (if legal age) may be permitted. Same with grilling (if legal age). We'll explore this, but assume both are not allowed, for now.
The Wiknic adopts common sense safe space policies. Any discriminatory or harassing behavior is forbidden and will result in being required to leave. Everyone should enjoy themselves and feel comfortable!
Use common sense, civility, and good will. We're here to have fun while representing Wikipedia to the wonderful city of Philadelphia.
Things we might also do
- Plant the seed for future Philadelphia area meetups or chapters
- Talk about GLAM events in the city, especially the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Plan to take over the world
- I'm coming! (most likely)
- Ocaasi t | c 15:22, 12 May 2013 (UTC) (I'm unfortunately going to be out of town Saturday. I will send good wishes and plans for future awesome meetups)
- Scientific29 (talk) 03:36, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
- DThomsen8 (talk) 14:42, 25 May 2013 (UTC) Definitely!
- Will Hopkins (talk) 02:20, 4 June 2013 (UTC) Very likely!
- Snood1205 (talk) 04:27, 10 June 2013 (UTC) Most likely.
- Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 15:00, 11 June 2013 (UTC) Hoping to attend, possibly with family in tow :-)
- Penn iGEM 2013 team Definitely coming! And bringing some salad!
- kagebob I'd love to attend.
- Thnidu (talk) 04:13, 19 June 2013 (UTC) Whee! I'll come if I can, most likely not till after 2. (This isn't the only community having a picnic that day.)
- Kainino (talk) 23:59, 22 June 2013 (UTC) I wasn't sure if I would go, but then I did!
- Can't make it this time, but I wish I was there
- Curses! ARGH!! >:( ♫ Hurricanehink (talk) 14:16, 25 May 2013 (UTC)
- This sounds fun, but I'm already signed up to be at the Wiknic in New York. Newyorkbrad (talk) 18:11, 25 May 2013 (UTC)
- This sounds like a great time, too bad I already have plans. Next time. ;-)
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Pennsylvania
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Philadelphia
- Wikipedia:WikiProject University of Pennsylvania
- Wikipedia:GLAM/Chemical Heritage Foundation
- Wikipedia:Meetup/Philadelphia/2013 June 20
- Wikipedia:Meetup/Philadelphia/2013 September 27 ThatCamp
- Wikipedia:GLAM/Philadelphia Museum of Art