|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current main page.|
|When and Where|
|Date||June 22, 2013|
|Time||11am to 4pm|
The Portland Wiknic will be held at Laurelhurst Park in southeast Portland on Saturday, June 22, 2013 from 11am to 4pm, as part of the Great American Wiknic celebrations being held across the United States. Further information will be posted on this page as it becomes available (OR you can help with organizing on the Discussion tab!). Remember it's a wiki-picnic, which means potluck.
You're invited to the upcoming "Wiknic", scheduled for Saturday, June 22.
In typical Wikipedia fashion, you can help decide the location. Details and signup here!
What to bring
- food and snacks, enough to feed yourself and a few of your fellow Wikipedians (salads, lunch meats, breads, condiments, etc.)
- sunscreen; maybe a hat
- beach umbrellas
- water and ice
- board games
- portable wiki and free culture awesomeness
Feel free to share what you're bringing!
So far, Portland is the location, but that isn't quite sufficient for it to actually be one wiknic. Some suggestions:
- Oaks Amusement Park picnic area: could be busy with a corporate picnic but not usually in June
- Laurelhurst Park There are a few tables along the SW area and just one or two at the NW portion; either area should be fine for our purposes, but try the first for availability at and wander south if occupied.
- Hoyt Arboretum meadow between the two city water tanks, about a five minute walk (all uphill) from the Washington Park Max Station No tables, but a great place to spread a picnic blanket.
- Thanks for the suggestions, Enc. My vote is for Laurelhurst Park, though I am biased as it's my favorite park in Portland! --Another Believer (Talk) 22:18, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
Also vote for Laurelhurst Park. Note that those lettered table cluster sites run on a permit process, too. But there is always plenty of good lawn. Just make sure you have a lawn chair or waterproof tarp to put under your blanket because the ground is always saturated there. I will make a flag with a big "W" on it. Excellent! Thank you to organizers for this! Here.it.comes.again (talk) 00:20, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- Laurelhurst Park sounds great Raymond King (talk) 16:43, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- Laurelhurst! Andrew5oh5 (talk) 16:47, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- I took a picture of the most likely place for us to meet (right). My original idea of the NE corner is foiled by a total absence of tables and paucity of lawn at the NE corner. I have deemed this table to be suitable, but those who can should bring lawn chairs. The table is west of the group picnic area, but I believe this solo table is not reservable. It is located about 45 metres (148 ft) north of the curb across from 3400 SE Oak Street (map). This is 290 metres (950 ft) SE of Classical Music Millenium and 117 metres (384 ft) south of Bitar Mansion.
- To drive there, exit I-84 (The Banfield) at 42nd westbound or 39th eastbound and go south on 39th. Beware the traffic circle at NE Glisan Street (about 7 blocks south of I-84) in which one must be in the left lane (of two) to not be forced westbound on Glisan. After the roundabout, the 7th right is SE Oak Street. Go 2.5 blocks west and park.
- The nearest mass transit is Trimet route 20 stop 768 and 769 at 32nd and E. Burnside. Walk south on 32nd one block. Turn left (east) on SE Pine and continue straight across SE 33rd into the park where there is a trail entrance. The trail splits in a few hundred feet: the table is in the middle of the split trails. —EncMstr (talk) 23:28, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
Is this a lunch or dinner type of a wiknic? Suggested choices for hours:
- 11 am to 4 pm
- 3 pm to 8 pm
- Another vote for 11am - 4pm Raymond King (talk) 16:42, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- In the hopes of confirming this in advance, I also vote for 11am-4pm. Andrew5oh5 (talk) 16:43, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- --Another Believer (Talk) 18:38, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
- Blurpeace 04:24, 8 May 2013 (UTC)
- Tomajohnson (talk) 23:54, 30 May 2013 (UTC) Also curious about location.
- Capnleela (talk) 17:39, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- Here.it.comes.again (talk) 00:21, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- Raymond King (talk) 16:39, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- Andrew5oh5 (talk) 16:40, 18 June 2013 (UTC) New wikipedian, niche wiki dude
- Tdslk (talk) 19:54, 20 June 2013 (UTC) (will be there a little after noon)
- —EncMstr (talk) 16:58, 21 June 2013 (UTC)
- Kf4yfd (talk) 16:18, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- kotra (talk) 16:37, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- MichaelCrawford (talk) - sorry, I'll be a couple hours late. I only just now discovered the time change from the original 1:00
- IP Anon. The one guy who got my phone number should pass it around to others who attended so I won't literally have all my eggs in one basket.
- OR drohowa (talk) 11:27, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
- Joe Hubris - Is there a location?
- Jensenr629 (talk) 05:37, 22 May 2013 (UTC) As of 21-May-2013, I am planning to attend.
- Popegrutch (talk) 20:52, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
- Visitor7 (talk) 06:51, 15 June 2013 (UTC)
- PastorDIC (talk) I live up in Battle Ground, WA but may come down for this depending what time and where in the Metro are it will be located.
- Ellemckay (talk) 05:17, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- Leitmotiv (talk) 19:34, 26 May 2013 (UTC)
- I miss Portland! Sorry, I am out of town. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:10, 11 June 2013 (UTC)
- I'll be camping! In the deep remote wilderness! Well, Lake Sylvia State Park, but still. Pfly (talk) 20:13, 14 June 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks but no can do. Finetooth (talk) 17:19, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- can't make it, sorry, sounds like fun Hobsonlane (talk) 18:17, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for the offer, but alas can't make it. Epistemophiliac (talk) 01:12, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- Mea culpa -- Unfortunately, as per a corollary to Murphy's Law, 'anything that can be planned for, will be preempted by things not planned for,' I am unable to attend this year's Wiknic. I will attempt to have "bright thoughts" (and anti-rain prayers) for those of you who can attend, while I deal with "unforseen work complications." Jensenr629 (talk) 01:53, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Have fun! Valfontis (talk) 02:35, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- This is adorable! I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow, and I hope you all have loads of fun.
We had a great turnout, with the added bonus of beautiful weather. There were more than a dozen attendees, including one from Brooklyn attending the Open Source Bridge conference. I saw some familiar faces, and many that were new. Thank you, all, for attending. Looking forward to the next meetup! --Another Believer (Talk) 00:31, 23 June 2013 (UTC)
- It was great to meet everyone! Thanks to Another Believer and everyone else who helped organize the event. Tdslk (talk) 01:42, 23 June 2013 (UTC)