Wikipedia Loves Libraries is an event to promote local meetups for discussing libraries in individual cities. Wikipedia depends on content from media sources, and libraries are the source of sources.
Date and venue
- Date Saturday December 8th,
- Time 10am-3pm
- Location Seattle Public Library Meeting Room 1 on Level 4, Central Library, 1000 4th Avenue, Seattle WA, 98104
- Event An editathon on Seattle-related Wikipedia articles with Wikipedia tutorials and Librarian assistance on hand.
- Hashtag #wikiloveslib or #glamwiki.
- Registration http://wll-seattle.eventbrite.com or use on-wiki registration.
Activities and Editing Subjects
Below are some suggestions, but ultimately participants should decide what they'd like to learn or edit, so add to this section as you see fit. The scope could possibly go beyond Seattle even. Many nearby communities have little more than a bot-written stub drawing on Census data.
- Work on the Open tasks of Wikiproject Seattle.
- Identified existing Start-class Seattle topics.
- Work on local history topics.
- African Americans, Arts, Chinese, Communism, Cultural Events, Dams, Education Environment, Filipinos, Great Depression, Homeless, Japanese, Native Americans, Protests and Strikes, Technology
- Tech and futurism in particular?
- 3D printing by Seattle companies economist article.
There will be multiple levels support available at the event, therefore participants with no experience ranging to dedicated Wikipedians are welcomed, and will be challenged at their own skill level.
What to bring
- It is highly suggested to bring a laptop.
- Ideas for topics or articles that you want to work on.
- We'll have the library's resources at our disposal, but if you have a special resource, bring it.
- Would-be-editor friends.
- Digital pictures you've taken that you'd like to be on Wikipedia.
- You might even take one of the requested photos beforehand.
(Edit and write your name below)
- Maximilianklein (talk) 19:57, 13 November 2012 (UTC)
- - J-Mo Talk to Me Email Me 03:39, 14 November 2012 (UTC)
- Liz Mills
- I'll probably be there for the first 2 hours. - Jmabel | Talk 01:13, 19 November 2012 (UTC)
- Dennis Bratland (talk) 00:28, 22 November 2012 (UTC)
- I am going to try to attend in the AM. Yworo (talk) 21:26, 22 November 2012 (UTC)
- Anne Tvasoner
- I should be able to make it, thanks for the heads up J-Mo - Md gilbert (talk)
- Mlet Will be helping with organizational stuff, hope to also learn a little! Mlet (talk) 18:32, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
- Conor Casey cmcaseylaborarch
- Helice Elssler1
- It was a very informative event. Wikikaw
- Don't know yet what my work schedule will be that week, but if I can be there I will. Se jes, eble mi kunvenigos aliajn eo-vikipediemulojn. --Haruo (talk) 18:59, 14 November 2012 (UTC)
Possibly, depending on my schedule and whether or not I want to squeeze in a trip to Seattle from Portland. Glad to see this event is being held! --Another Believer (Talk) 20:23, 29 November 2012 (UTC)
- I would love to go but am unsure of my work schedule. (Chilcokr (talk) 22:19, 1 December 2012 (UTC))
- I wish I could join. I will be following the preparation and outcome from NYC. Blue Rasberry (talk) 23:37, 13 November 2012 (UTC)
- Bummer, I have a family holiday event this day. If it falls through, I'll attend. Brianhe (talk) 19:20, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
- I actually live in Massachusetts, but would have attended if I lived in the area. JPJMendes (talk) 03:10, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- I'm not sure why I was invited, as my userpage says quite clearly that I live in Rhode Island. I have visited the Seattle area before and would love to the city return some time again, but I will not be in the area on that day. RedSoxFan2434 (talk) 03:22, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- I, sadly, live in the great Lone Star state. I therefore, cannot come to this get-together of those who live in the Seattle area, although I much appreciated the invite. If I'm ever in Seattle (or around there) when another one goes on, I shall try my best to make it. Thanks again for the invitation. gwickwire | Leave a message 04:28, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- I'm puzzled by how you construct your distribution list; I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and this is stated in the categories on my user page. Pdfpdf (talk) 04:58, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry, but I'll be training with the Foundation in Atlanta that weekend! Kevin Rutherford (talk) 06:48, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- Already have other plans, plus I live in Georgia. - Presidentman talk · contribs Random Picture of the Day (Talkback) 13:41, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- Damn . . .but Dixon, New Mexico is roughly 1,364 miles (more in kilometers) away. Einar aka Carptrash (talk) 16:21, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, I will be unable to travel up to Seattle. Perhaps next time! I hope the event is successful. --Another Believer (Talk) 16:36, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
- I live in Chula Vista, California, and am unable to travel to the Pacific Northwest at this time.--RightCowLeftCoast (talk) 17:25, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
- I live on the other end of the country and have a bunch of things that make it difficult to participate virtually --LibraryGurl (talk) 19:20, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
- Dennis Bratland
- Bo Kinney
- Please add the names or accounts of the other actual attendees (which certainly does not match closely to who said they would be coming).
Several local librarians and archivists were walked through the account creation process and introduced to the basics of editing, adding sources, creating articles, etc. Additionally, the librarian from Seattle Public Library walked the group through the use of some licensed resources (especially full text for some local newspapers) that could be useful in editing articles.
New accounts created
New articles created
Added into Wikimedia Commons, under categories "Wikipedia Loves Libraries" and "Wikipedia meetups in Seattle."