- Saturday 10 May 2014 1000-1330
- The Flinders Room is on LG1 inside the State Reference Library, State Library of New South Wales, Macquarie Street, Sydney.
See the State Library's website "getting here" page.
Outcomes of the event
- New articles:
- Establishment of collaborative relationship with the new Encyclopedia of Women and Leadership in Twentieth Century Australia (EWL)
- Creation of a table cross referencing biographies in WP and EWL
- Addition of many external links to EWL in WP articles and checks of comprehensiveness and accuracy of biographies in the two encyclopedias.
- Participation and training of new editor (User: Helouise).
- Presentation by User: Helouise on 'Australian women in the digital realm', including reflection on Sydney May Wikipedia edit-a-thon at Digital Humanities Forum, Baillieu Library, The University of Melbourne, 13 May 2014.
The venue for the physical meeting is on the lower ground floor of the State reference Library. Enter from Macquarie Street.
Bags and food/drinks are not allowed into the room. Lockers will be available ($1 for four hours).
The Library café (Café Trim) is on site and open on the day.
Built especially for the event by user:Lankiveil, a side-by-side checklist of the The Encyclopedia of Women and Leadership in Twentieth-Century Australia and the matching Wikipedia biography.
Since the venue is a great public library, there are many resources available if we want to order them up from the stack. They have to be referred to in the reading room but it is just down the stairs, near the edit-a-thon. Some rare resources are held offsite, but they can be ordered online in advance to be available on the day via the SLNSW Catalogue. The Library has onsite access available to a huge variety of databases, and remote access to quite a few as well.
If you would like to work on the biographies of Australian women these resources might be useful:
- The Encyclopedia of Women and Leadership in Twentieth-Century Australia
- Australian Dictionary of Biography
- The Australian Women's Register
- Ogilvie, Jill; Radi, Heather (2007), 200 Australian women a Redress anthology [electronic resource], Jill Ogilvie, archived from the original on 5 November 2007, retrieved 1 May 2014
- We have no article on the Jessie Street National Women's Library. Would be good to create one. Done Article created Jessie Street National Women's Library Aliaretiree (talk) 01:36, 10 May 2014 (UTC)
- Whiteghost.ink (talk) 06:05, 1 May 2014 (UTC).
- Wittylama 06:48, 1 May 2014 (UTC)
- Helouise (talk) 04:53, 5 May 2014 (UTC)
- Mike (talk) 23:20, 8 May 2014 (UTC) (might have to leave early)