Wikipedia:Meetup/Sydney/Powerhouse Museum 2009-03-13
Notes from Wikimedia Australia backstage pass tour of the Powerhouse Museum held in Sydney in March 2009, and some of the items discussed and viewed on the day:
Powerhouse Museum article
Update Powerhouse Museum article, especially history section.
Request GFDL for: http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/about/aboutHistory.asp + facts and figures + about, and any associated historical images (if possible, some of the images had licensing issues).
Added links (either inline or as references) from the PhM article into the PhM website. More expansion needs to be done on the permanent exhibitions and I'm not happy with the wording of the 'Blockbuster Exhibitions' section.
Updated "A" Importance items
- Boulton and Watt steam engine (Powerhouse Museum) - Watt_steam_engine#Preserved_Watt_engines
- Strasbourg astronomical clock - add a picture/reference to the 1/3 model in the powerhouse? Articles now cross-linked. Need picture.
- Locomotive No. 1 updated.
Existing articles with updates + needing pictures
Paula to get release of these images in CC-By-SA, also for images in the archive collection (next section)
- Image:Frigate Bird 2.jpg - add to PBY Catalina article – see talk.
- Image:Braille World Map.jpg - Put in Braille article.
- Image:First Transatlantic cable.jpg - Add to Transatlantic telegraph cable.
- Image:Transavia Airtuk.jpg - put in Mad Max 3 article + also in Transavia PL-12 Airtruk.
- Picture of Relenza - we do not already have one - item in PhM collection: Relenza Zanamivir influenza treatment drug, 1998.
- Dr John Bodkin Adams - serial killer - picture of electro therapy medical kit (and maybe add pic to Electrotherapy) - this may be the item in PhM collection: 87/58 Electromassage machine and card index file, 'Ediswan E' metal / glass, Ediswan, Britain, c.1935.
- Image:Chinese medical and surgical instruments.jpg - 
- Update with references + pictures of items: Edward William Godwin.
New articles of objects in the collection in the basement
- Seb - please get GFDL text of descriptions etc.
- Create Category:Collections_of_the_Powerhouse_Museum,_Sydney and maybe Category:Directors_of_the_Powerhouse_Museum,_Sydney. (refer to precendents: Category:Collections of the National Gallery, London and Category:Directors_of_the_Science_Museum ).
- Mawson's sled - link in from existing articles Douglas Mawson and Australasian Antarctic Expedition - PhM refs:  and H8143 Sledge, used by Dr. Douglas Mawson's Expedition to the Antarctic in 1913. Size: 14 feet long x 24" wide. (SB)...Australasian Antarctic Expedition, 1911-14. (OF). - this is the old image, awaiting new photography.
- Charles Nathan's post-mortem kit - Charles Nathan 
- Emu eggs as art. 
- Logic Piano by Jevons.
- Jevons: economist and logician
- Telegraphy: Wheatstone detector B1318 (1857 Buckingham Palace)
- Thomas Hope furniture
- Porcelain: Baron Schmiedel by Johan Joachim Kandler, 1739
- Emu egg cup
- Chinese medicine chest / Chinese bleeding kit - see Powerhouse item: 96/253/1 Medicine chest containing various medical instruments and medicinal substances, wood / metal / ceramic / paper / bone / glass / dried animal products, maker unknown, China, c 1925.
Discussions / Q&A held with curators in the afternoon
- What is a good article?? Please see: Wikipedia:Featured article criteria
- Example Wikipedia high-quality article about one item? Please see: An Experiment on a Bird in an Air Pump.
- How to denote articles about items in the museum's collection? Please tag articles with Category:Collections_of_the_Powerhouse_Museum,_Sydney
- About QR codes - see blog post on the QR codes.
Please add yourself since I didn't keep a list