Wikipedia:Meetup/UNC/Art + Feminism 2016
The Sloane Art Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will host its fourth edit-a-thon on 20 April 2016. Join library staff and students at UNC's School of Information and Library Science for an evening of social Wikipedia editing!
At the edit-a-thon, which is open to the public, we will create and improve Wikipedia articles on women in art. All are invited, with no specialized knowledge of the subject or Wikipedia editing experience required. A brief overview of the basics of Wikipedia editing will be given at the start of the edit-a-thon. We will have library resources and a list of suggested topics on hand.
Wikipedia's gender gap is well-documented. In a 2011 survey; Wikimedia found that less than 13% of its contributors are female. The reasons for the gender gap are up for debate: suggestions include leisure inequality, how gender socialization shapes public comportment, and the contentious nature of Wikipedia's talk pages. The practical effect of this disparity, however, is not. Content is skewed by the lack of female participation. Many articles on notable women in history and art are absent on Wikipedia. This represents an alarming aporia in an increasingly important repository of shared knowledge.
WHEN: Wednesday, 20 April, from 5:00 to 8:45 p.m. Come when you can, stay as long as you would like.
WHERE: Sloane Art Library, Hanes Art Center, UNC-Chapel Hill campus.
WHO: Anyone and everyone!
- Experienced or new Wikipedians (We will provide assistance with Wikipedia formatting and syntax)
- Amateur historians or research pros (We will have a selection of resources available for your use; we can also pull additional materials from the Sloane Art Library Collection as needed)
- UNC faculty, staff, and students
WHAT TO BRING: A laptop. We'll help you access the University's wireless network.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ARRIVE:
- For parking options within a few blocks of the Hanes Art Center and the Ackland Art Museum, see here. Please see the Department of Public Safety’s Map of Visitor and Metered Parking for a complete list of visitor parking on UNC’s campus.
WILL THERE BE FOOD? Yes! We'll have pizza and soft drinks for participants.
Articles to expand:
- Rita Angus
- Geneviève Asse (stub article)
- Gwendolyn Bennett
- Harriet Bogart - North Carolina artist (stub article)
- Mary Callery - Taught at Black Mountain College
- Heather Cassils (article requires cleanup and copy editing) (editing)
- Amanda Crowe - North Carolina artist
- Kelly Heaton (editing)
- Julie Heffernan (editing)
- Rosalie Hook - North Carolina artist (stub article with formatting errors) (editing)
- Louisa Keyser
- Nia King (orphan article)
- Anna Elizabeth Klumpke (needs inline citations)
- Martina Vigil Montoya (draft page started)
- Elaine Schmitt Urbain -attended Black Mountain College (draft page started)
- Eva Wolfe - North Carolina artist
- Saya Woolfalk (needs better inline citations)
Articles to create:
- Krista Franklin - African American poet and visual artist (editing)
- Lynn Igoe - North Carolina artist (editing)
- Marie Johnson Calloway - African American painter (done)
- Mary Okheena - Inuit artist
- Valerie Soe - Asian American writer and experimental videomaker
- Indigo Som - Chinese American artist and poet
- Lynne Yamamoto - Japanese American artist (editing)
Art + Feminism Research Resources
|December 2018 +/-|
|San Diego 36 @ Rancho Bernardo||December 2, 2018|
|Bay Area Wiki Salon||December 6, 2018|
|BLT @ Kingston 1||December 8, 2018|
|London 137||December 9, 2018|
|Kuala Lumpur 6||December 12, 2018|
|Penang 1||December 12, 2018|
|Bangalore||December 12, 2018|
|Cambridge 39||December 15, 2018|
|BLT @ Kingston 2||December 15, 2018|
|BLT @ Kingston 3||December 22, 2018|
|January 2019 +/-|
|Oxford 68||January 20, 2019|
|San Diego 37 @ Fallbrook||January 20, 2019|
|Full Meetup Calendar|
- Determining Notability of Creative Professionals
- Conflict of Interest in Wikipedia Editing
- Verifying Reliable Sources
- Art + Feminism Beginner Training Video Part 1- Making Simple edits on Wikipedia
- Art + Feminism Beginner Training Video Part 2 - Using your sandbox and adding citations
- Art + Feminism Beginner Training Video Part 3 - Best practices and Wikipedia policies
- Art + Feminism Advanced FAQ: Adding Images to Wikimedia Commons
- Art + Feminism Advanced FAQ: Creating New Pages on Wikipedia
- Art + Feminism Advanced FAQ: Talk Pages on Wikipedia
- Art + Feminism Advanced FAQ: Wikipedia Notability Guidelines
- Art + Feminism Advanced FAQ: Adding Infoboxes to Wikipedia Articles
- Art + Feminism Advanced FAQ: Advanced FAQ: Adding Images to Wikipedia Articles
Other local edit-a-thons
This is one of several edit-a-thons happening in Chapel Hill and Durham in April 2016. If you're in the area, please consider participating in the following meet-ups as well!
Meetups at UNC-Chapel Hill
Meetups at Duke University and in Durham
Please add your name below if you are planning to attend.
- LilacLens (talk)
- Kim Henze, henzekm
- Melissa Dollman
- Deseree S
- Alena Principato, zanynaz
- Jovie Grewal
- Sarah Moody
- Hannah Pope
- Xaris Martinez
- Glott, Ruediger; et al. "Wikipedia Survey – Overview of Results" (PDF). United Nations University. Retrieved 24 November 2014.