Elles Tournent / Dames Draaien
Just For The Record presents a new event!
On the occasion of the Elles Tournent / Dames Draaien Festival, Just For The Record proposes a workshop which invites you to question gender and its representations both on and off the screen.
Our last event at the Pink Screens Festival with Anne Smolar was so nice (have a look at the documentation here) that we are happy to announce that we have planned another event with her, this time in the context of the Elles Tournent / Dames Draaien Festival.
Together with Anne Smolar and co-founder of the festival Marie Vermeiren, we will go back in the herstory of the festival and highlight women and feminist filmmakers. We will look at how they are represented on Wikipedia, if they are, and how they are connected to each other.
The topics we will be working on will follow the threads developed during our last events, at Hana Miletić’s exhibition at Beursschouwburg and at the Pink Screens Festival, on (red) links and networks.
Pictures of the event
Elles tournent JFTR workshop 01
Elles tournent JFTR workshop 02
Elles tournent JFTR workshop 03
Elles tournent JFTR workshop 04
Elles tournent JFTR workshop 05
- Venue: Mundo-B, Edinburgh street 26, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
- Date: Sunday, January 29th 2017
- Time: 11:00 - 14:00
- Language: Dutch, English, French
- Cost: Free
- Participants: Open to anyone interested in this experience: beginners welcome! débutant(e)s bienvenu(e)s! beginners welkom! Experienced Wikipedia editors will be present and will share their knowledge in editing Wikipedia.
- What to Bring: Attendees can bring their own laptops and power cords.
- A temporary library will be set up by the participants who are invited to bring their books and digital documents to share with the others!
What can you do?
During the event, we invite you to contribute to Wikipedia and to the discussions around the gender gap on Wikipedia. You can edit an existing article to improve it, create a new one about a subject that doesn’t exist, but we also highly value the sharing of editing experiences, and ideas about what could make Wikipedia a more welcoming and colorful place!
Here are interrogations we would like to share with you:
- if Wikipedia can be considered as a tool to re·write history, how would you like it to be written?
- what is the influence the way we write on the representation of history and its main figures?
- can writing ever be neutral?
First steps on wikipedia
- Add your name to the participant list of this event at the bottom of this page
- Write some informations on your own wiki page by clicking on your user name at the top of the page (so that your name doesn't appear in red when you start editing articles)
- Write some informations on your Sandbox, also at the top of the page
- Improve an existing article
- Create a new article
Ideas to start editing
Articles that need your help!
Here are lists identifying articles that could benefit from edits and expansion:
- These lists mostly link to English Wikipedia, don’t forget your own language’s Wikipedia!
Look for problematic language
- Man as false generic: Ban the use of the words man, men and mankind to refer to a person or persons of unspecified sex or to persons of both sexes.
The page Writing about women offers great insights. Look for the following problems in existing pages and try to fix them:
- Male is not the default: Avoid labelling a woman as a female (ex: author, politician etc.), unless her gender is explicitly relevant to the article. An opposite example is saying male nurse.
- Use surnames: Look for articles using surnames for men, while calling women by their first name. See example
- Infoboxes are an important source of metadata (see DBpedia) and a source of discrimination against women. For example, the word spouse is more likely to appear in a woman's infobox than in a man's.
- This is a good and terrifying exercise, try to find a page (that is not) defining women by their relationships in the first paragraph.
- One study found that women on Wikipedia are more linked to men than men are linked to women.
- Use gender-neutral nouns when describing professions and positions
- Try changing the order in which groups are introduced – man and woman, male and female, Mr. and Mrs., husband and wife, brother and sister
- The use of the generic he (masculine pronouns such as he, him, his) is increasingly avoided in sentences that might refer to men and women.
- Avoid problematic phrasing when talking about married people. See examples
- Do not refer to adult women as girls or ladies!
- Avoid images that objectify women!
Resources for editing
Female Experimental Filmmakers:
bien, faut-il compléter ? Intro ? Chiffres sous représentation ?
pas de lien vers CSDBeauvoir
List of women filmmakers
To be completed with more filmmakers, more diversity, etc!
Asian filmmakers :
Women of color filmmakers:
TO COMPLETE ?:
Pages in category "Belgian film directors" :
128 total, 11 women only ! (Chantal Ackerman has a page but no link)
Thoughts in progress
Ideas Pink Screens event
Ideas Elles tournent / Dames Draaien event
Pink Screens event
Elles Tournent / Dames Draaien event
Elles Tournent / Dames Draaien event
Still in need of care!
- Women's cinema: “Most of the distinguished female directors have avoided any association with cinema in the hesitation of marginalization and ideological controversy.” ?
- Inés Suárez
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Annik_Leroy needs improvement to be able to stay!! “This draft has been resubmitted and is currently awaiting re-review.”
- create a new a category / message banner “filmmaker that need attention”
Participants - Sign Up Here!
Sign here to help us learn more about how users interact with Wikipedia! If you sign up, we can observe how your username uses the Wikimedia projects during and after this event. This will help us to better measure the effectiveness of this event and similar programs. This means that your publicly available activity and the information you share with us during this event may be processed by the Wikimedia Foundation, Art+Feminism, and the organizers of the local event, and may be transferred to or from the US and other countries that may not have the same level of privacy regulation that your country does. However, we will not share your information with third parties or publicly unless it's in aggregated or anonymized form.
Prior to the event:
Don't worry! If you haven't edited Wikipedia before and don't have a Wikipedia User Name yet, we will help you on the day of the event! And remember to have fun!
- Do you have a Wikipedia User Name?
- No? Create a Wikipedia account
- Yes? Go to Step #2
- Sign up! Add your Wikipedia User Name to this section by clicking the blue button below (follow instructions). Your name will be added to the bottom of this page
Elles tournent / Dames Draaien: