Wikipedia:Meetup Women Archivists Roundtable Edit-a-thon
|Date||Wednesday, August 3, 2016|
|Time||4:00 pm – 5:30 pm|
The Women Archivists Roundtable (WAR) Wikipedia Edit-a-thon will take place at the SAA Annual Meeting on August 3, 2016. The event is open to SAA members and the public--anyone who wants to help create or enhance information in Wikipedia about women archivists. As this event page is a work in progress, please check back for more information. Feel free to contribute more resources and ideas for new articles or articles to be improved!
Please join WAR at the SAA Annual Meeting to create and improve Wikipedia articles related to women archivists, in order to highlight the past and present accomplishments of women archivists, recognizing the importance of the history of the women who have shaped and were shaped by the archival profession. No Wikipedia editing experience necessary! We will provide resources and reference materials on this page and at the event for Wikipedia newcomers. Bring your laptop, power cord, and ideas for entries that need updating or creation. Also, please create your account ahead of time! You don't need to be at the annual meeting to participate--remote participation is welcome too! We hope you'll join us, WARriors!!!
Our keynote speaker for the event will be Michele Pacifico who will reflect on her article, "Founding Mothers: Women in the Society of American Archivists, 1936-1972," The American Archivist (1987).
- Date: Wednesday, August 3, 2016
- Time: 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm EDT
- Location: Salon E, Hilton Atlanta, 255 Courtland Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30303 / More accessibility information about building can be found here
- Host: Women Archivists Roundtable
- Sched: Women Archivists Roundtable Meeting
- Twitter Hashtag: #saawar
- Please bring a laptop and power cord with you!
- GLAM Beginners’ Guide to Wikipedia
- Core content policies
- Five Pillars of Wikipedia
- How to Edit a Page
- Starting an Article
- Citation Guide
- Wiki Markup Quick Reference
- Text Formatting
- Section Headers, Indents, and Lists
- Infobox templates
- Create Citations from Google Books
Citation and Style Guidelines
Resources for Images and Photos
- Uploading Images
- Image Use Policy
- Picture Tutorial
- Adding Photos
- Wikimedia Commons
- Creative Commons
- Finding Public Domain Images
Activities for Edit-a-thon
After you create an editor account, you can work on variety of tasks during the edit-a-thon:
- Article Creation: Please pick from the list of articles to create below or an article of your own choosing (but please check first to see if it is on the list and isn't already in Wikipedia)
- Article Improvement: Work on any of the articles already in Wikipedia to improve information about a woman archivist (see the list below of articles already in Wikipedia)
- Add to the list of articles to create: Please continue to add to the list - we hope to continue creating and improving articles about women archivists in the long term!
- Add more sources to the list: Please continue to help add links to sources about women archivists in the lists of articles to create and improve
- Add images to Wikimedia:Commons, for use in Wikipedia articles. Please note that images must comply with Commons:Licensing
If you will be participating remotely, we have created some basic guidelines for remote participants in addition to the information provided on this meet-up page.
Articles to Create
Under construction - please add suggestions and links to sources! Sign up for articles in the Editor(s) column. You must be logged in to add your name - put four tildes (~) in a row to add your name. Remove your name after you are finished and move the entry to the Results section. As you create new articles, please refer to Wikipedia:Notability and adhere to Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons guidelines.
Articles already in Wikipedia
Under construction! Some of these articles may be candidates for enhancement. Sign up for articles in the Editor(s) column. You must be logged in to add your name - put four tildes (~) in a row to add your name. Remove your name after you are finished and move the entry to the Results section.
- Margaret M. H. Finch --Jennifereltringham (talk) 21:35, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
- Virginia C. Purdy Kschlot1 (talk) 21:54, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
- Anne R. Kenney Mhpmiller (talk) 22:06, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
- Sara Dunlap Jackson --Jennifereltringham (talk) 21:47, 4 August 2016 (UTC)
- Nina Browne Mhpmiller (talk) 21:14, 5 August 2016 (UTC)
- Ann Allen Shockley --Elliotdwilliams (talk) 21:32, 5 August 2016 (UTC)
- Joan Warnow-Blewett
- Brenda Banks
- Mabel Deutrich
- Jessie P. Guzman
- Elizabeth Hamer Kegan
- Anne R. Kenney
- Nancy McGovern
- Dolores Renze
- Claudine Weiher
- Elizabeth Yakel
- Elizabeth B. Drewry Mhpmiller (talk) 16:25, 8 August 2016 (UTC)
- Nancy Lenoil Mhpmiller (talk) 19:32, 9 August 2016 (UTC)
Other resources added
- Category:Fellows of the Society of American Archivists Mhpmiller (talk) 18:23, 4 August 2016 (UTC)
Please add your Wikipedia username below (signatures are created by saving four tildes [~] in a row) or edit and add your name.