Wikipedia:Meetups/UK/University of Leicester Nov 2015
|Revealing Local History at University of Leicester in a nutshell:|
About the event
The event will focus on editing Wikipedia pages about local history. We provide the training to edit Wikipedia and research local history using Victoria County History (VCH) and British History Online (BHO) materials, and you create or enhance local history articles.
Contributing to Wikipedia articles with VCH and BHO materials is a continuation of the process that began with the first VCH volumes published in the early 20th century. VCH editors reveal the mysteries of the archives through the VCH volumes. Digitising these volumes and making them freely available on BHO further increases their exposure, removing barriers of cost and location, and introducing new ways of discovering content via search. Using these texts as source material for Wikipedia articles is the natural progression of this revelation process. Anyone can edit any Wikipedia article, which democratises the construction of knowledge and allows you to participate in the research of your own local history.
Come and learn a new skill, or five!
This is the Leicester end of a multi-site event. A parallel event is being held in London.
- How do I prepare?
Note - the 'help me choose' link gives tips on choosing user names (you may prefer not to use your real name). Adding your email address when you register is optional but allows you to reset your password via email should you ever forget it.
- Do I need to know how to edit Wikipedia? And how to research local history?
- Do I need to come with a list of topics to work on?
We will have a list of suggested topics/pages, but you are also welcome to work on other topics.
- Do I need to bring a lunch?
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
- Do I need to bring a laptop?
Laptops will be provided, but you are also welcome to bring your own.
- Is there a Twitter hashtag for this event?
Yes! It's #revealinglocal.
- 10:00 - 10:30: Coffee, set up and registration
- 10:30 - 10:45: VCH Introduction
- 10:45 - 11:45: Wikipedia Training
- 11:45 - 12:45: Editing
- 12:45 - 1:00: Group discussion
- 1:00 - 1:45: Lunch (provided)
- 1:45 - 2:10: Adding images
- 2:10 - 2:40: Editing
- 2:40 - 3:00: Feedback and close
Fifteen people signed up on the Thursday before