Wikipedia:Please bite the newbies
|This page is intended as humor. It is not, has never been, nor will ever be, a Wikipedia policy or guideline.
Rather, it illustrates standards or conduct that are generally not accepted by the Wikipedia community.
|This page in a nutshell: Please be as mean to others as possible, especially the newcomers. Remember to assume bad faith. Material considered too civil may be challenged and removed.|
New members are often all sweetness and light at first, but most turn out to be vandals and bad-faith editors at the end. Therefore, it is very important to assume bad faith.
Definition of a 'newbie'
In general, a newbie is an editor who joined Wikipedia this very moment. However, some say that any Wikipedia member that joined after 2000 is a newbie. Therefore, we must learn to bite each other and even ourselves – even if you have been editing Wikipedia since Jimbo Wales came.
How to bite a newbie
- Assume bad faith
- Use very strong words
- Confuse them with Wikipedia jargon
- Tag their articles for deletion
- Threaten to put them on trial at ArbCom
If you have succeeded in biting newbies, be sure to add the following userboxes to your userpage:
- Wikipedia:Newcomers are delicious, so go ahead and bite them
- Wikipedia:Give 'em enough rope, and they'll hang themselves
...what the hell is this?
- Dragon (mp4) (streaming video). Homestarrunnerdotcom. 31 Mar 2009. Event occurs at 2m15s minutes in. Retrieved 27 March 2015. Comedic illustration of abusive article deletion.