|Welcome to the Wikipedia Humanities Reference Desk Archives
|The page you are currently viewing is a monthly archive index. While you can leave answers for any questions shown below, please ask new questions on one of the current reference desk pages.
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 1
- analogue for folk etymology?
- What firearms were used in the American Civil War?
- Shan Yu
- How to word a disability examination of a knee?
- Changing concept of the child
- The Curse of the Pharaohs
- Disarmament in Afghanistan
- How quickly can a team of doctors or forensic pathologists examine a fresh massacre site for signs of rape and mutilations?
- Tsar Nicholas
- Jefferson in Boston?
- Hebraisms, the New Testament and the Book of Mormon
- [[Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 1#|]]
- Usage of Nazi-era sources by postwar German historians
- Woman on the stage in Germany
- martinique 1762
- Concept of the Devil
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 2
- Law factors
- Trying to identify a painting
- Dunbar Robbery Page, Cite Help!
- British Navy and Spanish Civil War
- Rules of being a good Muslim
- Stuka effectiveness
- Female Pilots
- Football (soccer) Clubs in world stock markets.
- Are Americans worried of recession?
- Fascist style
- Collier's June 8, 1956 George Barkentin's model.
- Medical Records release - State of Michigan
- Why no slave revolt in the United States?
- French thinker: lost name
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 3
- Antonin Dolohov
- yinyang symbol
- about the Hashsashin...
- Groundhog day quote
- Tito as dictator
- FINANCIAL MARKETS
- division of indian states
- obamas speeches
- Spanish empire and the abolition of slavery
- Meiji Revolution
- Churchill's warnings
- More about naturist children
- asbestos pipe
- Pop/Rock without the lead guitar
- British officer shakos, Peninsular War
- world war I
- CAN YOU HELP ME WITH A SONNET?????
- Black Dom
- Law disclosure
- What's wrong with prostitution?
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 4
- fraud and copyright
- Wall Street Journal and science
- Hillary Clinton
- Tito and the crisis of 1956
- Islam and terrorism
- Foch quote
- Who was the father of science fiction?
- Matthias Daniel Pöppelmann or Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann
- historical misconceptions
- The West Wing
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 5
- policy record
- Islamic versus Jewish perception of the law
- Non Aligned Movement
- Portuguese in East Africa
- Cromwell and Prince Rupert
- This is extremely confusing
- the most cruel statement
- Persecution of Kosovo Serbs
- Ustase race policy
- British awards to French and Belgium Cities
- Verb: to truffle
- Burning heretics
- Eastern front in the first world war
- National languages in Punjab Pakistan
- All Souls
- Armenian troubles
- Is there a social science journal for undergraduate students?
- Anglo Portuguese Alliance
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 6
- a la Victor Frankl
- Question about history.
- Graduate school admission criteria
- Russian questions
- Accusing Kruger
- Portrait of a Lady
- Serious Question
- Build the Titanic magazine
- "From his cold dead hands"
- Central powers and the March Revolution in Russia
- Child law
- Make Money off your land
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 7
- Saints Lives
- What is this Jimi Hendrix song
- Jesus in the Bible
- US and free markets
- Renewable energy
- Tibet and Palestine
- Tax Question (claiming a student)
- Chaucer and Boccacccio
- Magda Goebbels
- James Watt’s date of death
- Ethical food?
- John Locke's Theories of Government
- Philip Mannes in Theresienstadt
- FBI Archives on the Communist Party USA
- what language did the builders of Stonehenge speak?
- Looking for History and or Pictures of Covered Bridge at Frogtown Road on the Pequea Creek
- Fami;y Law Act
- Constructing the nation
- Native Americans burning people at the stake
- Marriage Annullment in Canada
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 8
- "Freest" society ever
- civil rights acts of 1957 and 1960
- Les Misérables Quotation
- London borough coat-of-arms
- equity share in standerd medicals and pharmasuticals ltd (question moved from help desk)
- Fransisco de Miranda in France
- Suleiman the clot?
- A Wise King?
- Philosophy questions
- Possible Islamic Influences In The Design of Sleeping Beauty Castle
- When did "Nice to meet you" replace "Glad to know you" as the preferred introductory reply?
- Sartre's drug induced crisis
- Jacques Chirac on Iraq
- Bavarian Flask from Bavaria with grasshopper holding a hat trademark
- Signet Rings
- Name of a Hindu God
- High school band bus crash
- left-handed calligraphers
- How to serve warm beer?
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 9
- Death and the VC
- If I convert to Judaism and become a Jew, I'm still Asian and Thai American or not?
- would it be possible to do an IPO with shares that are worth 0% of the company?
- Why Tuesday?
- Tax definition
- Rochester the puritan
- Islam god's Kingdom
- Questions from Princepality of Hut River passport holder
- Murdoch and Canetti
- Orley Farm
- Master Slave Dialectic
- Magda Goebbels II
- Youngest age of legal marriage -- how real was this
- Value added tax
- Yorkshire Ridings
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 10
- Stories within stories
- Dual county seats
- Gasoline Prices
- J.J.J Tissot
- William Essex (author)
- Iconic photograph
- statehood within the United States and ambassadors
- [[Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 10#|]]
- I think therefore I am
- Battle of Kiev
- Browning and Strauss
- Self identity
- Financial Markets - Azerbaijan
- Death of Bayezid I
- Canadian Legal Definition of a Public Space
- Pipeworks toy
- Ethics vs. Morals
- Date of death
- Countering code talkers
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 11
- Escanaba in da Moonlight
- John Yoo and the National Lawyers' Guild
- Corporate government
- Poland and the Outbreak of the Second World War
- Gorky story
- US recognition of a UDI before Kosovo?
- Companies greater than GDP
- Deterministic excuses
- Murdoch and Marxism
- Who does this Indian picture represent?
- Wagner the Philosopher
- Tolstoyan view of history
- Dead Sea Scrolls
- Hume and Mills
- The symbiotic relationship between the media and the government.
- A low-powered radio broadcaster for the spies?
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 12
- how much would a train ride cost from budapest to paris
- Cherry tree and Washington
- Bogus surnames on the Census list
- Heraldic question
- Peter Stuyvesant
- Kant and Religion
- Mussolini and Hitler
- BBC Radio 4
- Pakistan, North Korea and Iran
- Unincluded holy scriptures Jewish/Christian
- Roccasecca: To which territory did it belong in 1225
- Kemal and 1914 war
- CSA a one-party state?
- Queen Christina's sexuality
- Colin Powell, Torture, and Ambien
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 14
- Sovereignty definitions
- Pre-amalgamation Ottawa
- Translations of Dream of the Red Chamber
- Court Hierarchy
- Accounting expression
- Post-modern revolution
- Congress and Amritsar Massacre
- Organisations looking forward to human dieback
- François Mitterrand
- Heidegger and language
- Presidents and recessions
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 15
- Why does the sun make people happy?
- What's so bad about pandemics?
- Majahapit civilisation
- Colette and religion
- Lenin and bureaucratic decay
- Osama Bin Laden
- Marlborough coat of arms
- Pope's Airplane
- Resourceful Tips to be a Qualified Cartoonist?
- Specialized Prison Cells
- Loveable characters from literature
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 16
- Woman and money
- Meat on Fridays
- Practitioners of Magic
- homestead exemption
- Famous quotes
- english boarding schools for girls
- Lohr and the Greek Resistance
- The deaf in the ancient world
- Hell is an empty desk
- Page on Norwest Venture Partners
- Schlecht und Reu
- Anti Human Trafficking/Anti Slavery Groups in S. America
- Caesar's gold
- diplomatic immunity
- List of magna opera (magnum opusses)
- Nietzsche and learning to love
- nina gladnitz
- George Eliot
- British Embassy in Israel
- Ratification and signing of treaties
- Existentialism and Fascism
- Penises and Presidents
- Stock Market
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 17
- Does anybody know where i can get the piano sheet music for tubular bells???
- world's wealthiest ethnicities?
- guam history perspectives ed by carter lee d
- Sculptor sought
- Anti-Semitism during the period of the Nazi-Soviet Pact
- X years to life
- Can you Forgive Her
- Colonies that went independent
- [[Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 17#|]]
- Walter Blume's Chaos Theory
- new mexico
- Northern Jews
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 18
- Ladies of the Bedchamber
- Gas Prices
- Israel memorial candle
- Is there Orthodox Islam?
- Zhukov at Stalingrad
- Hitler and Stalingrad
- Unternehmen Zitadelle
- Chhatrapati Sivaji Maharaj's letters to Mirza Rajah Jaisingh
- Cup and reality
- Foucault's methodology
- SUPER POWER
- Military Performance
- Is there any "official" biography of Osama Bin Laden?
- Indian Illustrators
- Court clerk
- Where do people live? (coalesced similar questions)
- Book recommendation for someone who is grieving the loss of a parent
- Capital of the Illiterate
- McCain's plan to roll back federal gas taxes
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 19
- What is the average salary of a middle-class Indian in India?
- National Bank of Poland
- Tony Blair
- date of birth of contemporary garden author alex dingwall-main and bio
- greatest extent of roman empire
- Who was this painter?
- question about crime
- Detailed tree diagram depicting the major religions
- Price of bread
- Henry III and Edward the Confessor
- journalism through other people's skins
- Henry Ford
- Nietzsche and Wagner
- Worst poems and poets
- Train passes in the Uk
- George Orwell
- Existentialism "Cure"
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 20
- [[Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 20#|]]
- Year founded?
- Blacks in the hippie movement
- Racism in Conrad
- [[Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 20#|]]
- Future of the European Union
- Pascal's Wager vs. the Problem of Hell
- Rudolf Carnap and Wittgenstein
- How is it possible there was history between 1918-1920?
- Barbarity and Civilization: Can't find this quote!
- The anonymous pianist
- Economic solutions
- How to create and write your own music
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 21
- Peace of Prague
- 12th Royal Lancers, post Waterloo
- Armenian Diaspora in US question
- Copyright Question Concerning Titles
- Choral piece with female voices
- Tibet and Nukes
- [[Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 21#|]]
- SUPER POWER
- Kierkegaard and ethics
- Private insurance against poverty
- God is dead
- Existentialism and loss
- Who said?
- Who is a nazi?
- German attack on France
- the poorest.
- John McCain
- Luck and what we are
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 22
- pre bank interesr rates
- God, Logic, and Omnipotence
- Short term over long term
- Paris Commune of 1871 and the Law of Hostages
- Mortgage crisis and help from the government
- Body and soul
- I am not a racist but...
- Calendar Riots
- Altered artifacts
- How wrong can you get?
- Characters you hate
- Soviet Union and the Munich Crisis
- Word for the object used in a murder (old legal word)
- Paying Volunteers
- World leaders
- a couple of geographical questions
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 23
- durability of book coverings
- Animated map of the progression of human societies
- can somebody help me find this piece of music
- Vietnam War
- Lenin and Marx
- Yao De-Fen worlds tallest woman
- Impossible question documentary art world society infiltrator scam artist SOLVED by Pharos
- Forms of address in 16th century Venice
- Fair discrimination
- Fox Hunting Toffs
- Abdication Crisis of 1936
- The Last Riding Master
- Dutch-language book
- Roman executions of rulers
- A French alternative to Sartre
- Iris Murdoch
- The Gordon riots
- Recent Bills/Issues in the German Parliament (Bundestag)
- James, Viscount Severn's godparents
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 24
- Pursuit of happiness OR happiness
- First existentialist author
- Her Majesty's Indian Service
- Criticising Wittgenstein
- Bishops called Bishop
- Russell and Wittgenstein
- Anne Boleyn
- diplomatic immunity
- natural resources of Canada
- news article
- Execution of Marie Antionette
- The name al-Tustari
- Philosopher of power
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 25
- belly button
- Study abroad scholarships
- Erasmus in Spain
- Red Hat society?
- Socializing across social classes
- Stalin's blindness
- Christianity and the dead in the middle ages
- What is MAOISM?
- Population of Palestine prior to the Arab/Muslim Conquest of 640
- Frederick and Adolph
- Argument to the best explanation
- German Army - World War II
- Genealogy of Lucien Wolf
- Jobs in Rural Areas
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 26
- North Korean Opinion on Chinese Socialism since 1980s
- Southern star
- Problem of Poverty
- Origin of the days of the week
- Can vegans use bone china?
- Moving companies sell lists of new addresses to marketers?
- Women in American Politics
- Mugabe and Zimbabwe
- A good war?
- Economy and voting in Canada
- Postage stamp value
- Grammatical Revolutionary-War question
- Violence against women
- Assisted reproductive technology
- friend or enemy
- Logical Atomism
- Proportion of the world with a high school diploma
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 27
- Schooling in America
- emperor maro
- Prison violence
- The West Wing
- Richard II, royal power and divine right
- Instruments and instrument players going extinct
- Three life expectancy questions
- Message left on WT:Reliable sources
- Birds In Reference To Eyeglasses
- Examples of non-Russian high profile people in Soviet Union
- Master of Hestviken FAMILY TREE
- William Blake illustrations for "Paradise Lost"
- Reporter's Day
- Logic of Coalitions
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 28
- Fear of reprisal
- playing in the street
- Older art (war based)
- Is Islam sometimes considered an Eastern religion?
- Why do some people in the Middle East don't know Western culture?
- No More Heroes Any More
- Wittgenstein at Cambridge
- Can I vote anywhere? Does my opinion mean anything?
- De Beauvoir and Genet
- A play about amputees in garbage cans
- Tailoring question about shirts
- Search for two phrases
- ShareAlike copyright question.
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 29
- Why is my ethnicity (Thai, Thai American) classified as Other Asian and not a separate category like Chinese, Filipino, Cambodian, Laotian, etc?
- art terminology
- church loyalty
- roman citizenship
- Social consensus
- Unknown artists
- why the sudden change of topic captain?
- Fashion in Greece and Rome
- Youth in Ancient Rome
- Trying to find a certain Rev. Jesse Jackson speech
- Presidental election
- Gruffydd ap Llywelyn Fawr
- Scottish coat of arms
- Iris Murdoch and existentialism
- Antisocial behavior in U.K.
- Economic Stimulus
Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 April 30
- Sculpture identification
- Why is there so many questions about WW2 Germany here?
- History of England
- Hitler and astrology
- Tractatus and Philosophical Investigations
- Physicalism in philosphy of mind
- How to obtain an equipment trust certificate
- Theoretical and Critical Significance of Post-Structuralism today?
- Landreneau, France Is it ancient history, or exists today?
- Credit default swap