Wikipedia:Reference desk/Archives/Language/August 2011
|<< Jul | Language desk | Sep >>|
|Welcome to the Wikipedia Language Reference Desk Archives|
|The page you are currently viewing is a monthly archive index. While you can leave answers for any questions shown below, please ask new questions on one of the current reference desk pages.|
- 1 August 1
- 2 August 2
- 3 August 3
- 4 August 4
- 5 August 5
- 6 August 6
- 7 August 7
- 8 August 8
- 9 August 9
- 10 August 10
- 11 August 11
- 12 August 12
- 13 August 13
- 14 August 14
- 15 August 15
- 16 August 16
- 17 August 17
- 18 August 18
- 19 August 19
- 20 August 20
- 21 August 21
- 22 August 22
- 23 August 23
- 24 August 24
- 25 August 25
- 26 August 26
- 27 August 27
- 28 August 28
- 29 August 29
- 30 August 30
- 31 August 31
- Japanese ヒゲくず
- Telugu help
- How do you pronounce Ken Kifer?
- Need help from Italian and Greek-fluent contributors
- (Turkish) question about address
- German: Pronunciation of clusters zsch and tzsch
- why do people from japan speak english which such thick accents
- The "Laotian Bird" Nock-ten
- The Languages of Madame de...
- words that non-native speakers use but native speakers don't
- Japanese narration of Tsunami video
- May "Hot Bird" be translated into other languages?
- "The river"
- Questions or statements
- Spirit in the Sky
- Modulation in American accents
- Icelandic translation needed
- '...saying that the UK is policed "by consent".'
- Sound like Wallace and Gromit
- German possessive
- Urdu help
- 'hotel reservation OP'?
- Check the grammar in section of article
- Minor question
- What does "tolerasty" mean?
- Learning Italian for history research
- Polishing up spelling
- Mouseover pop-up CHN-ENG translator for Internet Explorer?
- For common words in a proper noun, do you convert between American and British spellings?
- When are -tion and -ing nouns countable? What is the general rule?
- Royal warrant to or from or...?
- Italics in spoken words
- Why don't the Chinese just use pinyin for writing?
- Denisova hominin
- Hydro fields
- i (short e) versus ə (schwa) pronunciation
- "Texas" in Russian
- Do as emphasis
- Being a murder
- George Chakiris
- Grammar: United States debt-ceiling crisis
- Sentence Breakdown
- gramatika e gjuhes shqipe
- EXPORT AND IMPORT - How freely can I use these words?
- Pronouncing "Respiratory"
- Old Church Slavonic vs Proto-Slavic
- Acting as a Scribe
- Modern/Ancient Greek glottal stop
- 'an historic moment'
- followed by
- 'An herbaceous border'
- Identifying cursive kanji
- German book title translation
- Inductive vs. Deductive Reasoning
- German text tranlation
- Japanese: "have your cake and eat it too"
- Requesting meaning of Okinawan word
- Help in getting Chinese characters
- Plural of mention
- You go Glen Coco, from the film Mean Girls
- Translation English-->Russian: "Do it for her"
- Reverse definition dictionary/CoE
- "Meksika" / "Tekhas" - why not "Teksas" / "Mekhiko" ?
- Then for than
- Learning IPA
- Russian (actually Komi) place-name
- The airport
- "You are a little tiger, aren't you"
- What Kansan college offers online Japanese courses?
- Meaning of "Koyaanisqatsi"
- Lists of words with ʊ and ʌ
- 'Scale out-ability'
- Question: (what can replace "with" in this sentence?)
- The Most incomprehensible English Dialect
- Translation of French paragraph
- VCR & DVD commands in Spanish?
- Eggs, microwaves and vegetables
- If wishes were horses ...
- IPA pronunciation
- Standard form
- 祖 and ワィ (Japanese)
- Spelling of “magick”
- "Bad" Arabic Translation
- "Zum Eckel find' ich immer nur mich"
- German plural
- Translation from Korean
- Who/Whom in clauses
- Is "post-traumatic shock disorder" actually a real term?
- Plurals of -y surnames
- Did - didn't
- How do you pronounce Vančura
- What is a qualifying question?
- Chinese question about time
- Moral lessons
- Closest languages to English and French
- Word Referring To An Antique Item's Specific History
- If a girl finds a guy creepy, you tend to think:
- Tahitian pronounciation
- References – style variation and consistency
- Priority of agreement in French
- The strange things about chet (ח)
- Why "Eastern seaboard" and not "East coast?"
- "Speaks to"
- Correct or incorrect?
- Meaning of mekonnen