Wikipedia:Reference desk/Archives/Language/October 2011
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|<< Sep | Language desk | Nov >>|
|Welcome to the Wikipedia Language Reference Desk Archives|
|The page you are currently viewing is a monthly archive index. While you can leave answers for any questions shown below, please ask new questions on one of the current reference desk pages.|
- 1 October 1
- 2 October 2
- 3 October 3
- 4 October 4
- 5 October 5
- 6 October 6
- 7 October 7
- 8 October 8
- 9 October 9
- 10 October 10
- 11 October 11
- 12 October 12
- 13 October 13
- 14 October 14
- 15 October 15
- 16 October 16
- 17 October 17
- 18 October 18
- 19 October 19
- 20 October 20
- 21 October 21
- 22 October 22
- 23 October 23
- 24 October 24
- 25 October 25
- 26 October 26
- 27 October 27
- 28 October 28
- 29 October 29
- 30 October 30
- 31 October 31
- Caramell lyrics
- Is satis dicto the proper ablative absolute...?
- Arabic dialectology: Is ج (ǧīm) ever a solar letter?
- Writing archaic speech
- 'Rise of [xxx] was meteoric'
- Sushi vs. zushi
- Cavan Orphanage Fire
- Quel que vs. quoi que
- Leiten vs. führen
- How do you pronounce "th" in Indian names?
- More German synonyms
- Spanish Audio for learning
- Switching between English and Malay(?)
- Spoken decimal comma
- "Right" and "Right"
- Seeking help from German-speaker
- Request for a brief phonetic Greek translation to English (may possibly be obscene)
- Japanese translation
- Explaining the concept of את (as in et, not at) to a non-Hebrew speaker
- Child preference for accusative
- Origin of word yep
- Spanish translation
- As Perpendicular as a Quaker
- Portuguese: masculine name ending in -inha
- "not unwilling"
- was "surprise" once pronounced with an ee?
- How do you pronounce "Thinnes"
- fue vs. era
- Kraft vs. Macht (German Question)
- Is this a real or imagined conflation?
- What language is this?
- Symbol on the Wikipedia globe
- What does "beadboard siding" mean?
- French necessities
- Need help contacting scholar -- must speak French
- Phrase on the gates of a Chinese Pure Land Buddhist temple
- Is Yiddish German?
- Name for minimum screen size when the rendering of compacted text breaks down
- Chinese measure words
- Eo Prepositions
- The origin of the name "KODAK"
- "fall from grace"
- Japanese reading question
- to wear off on sb.
- Source of "Maunt" used for "Nun" in Gregory Maguire's Wicked
- Icelandic pronunciation question
- Great new word
- I'm no grammatician (grammaticist? grammologist?) but...
- Whipper Snapper
- Name of footballer
- Professional's professional
- Extended vowels in Chinese
- Is there an English <-> Sign Language translator anywhere?
- Does Wilmer = Vladimir ?
- why would a great reckoning in a little room strike a man dead?
- Question: A long sentence
- Unfamiliar word
- Problem with traditional Chinese character: three-stroke water radical on the left, 門 with a little 東 underneath
- Italian learners' podcasts
- Vowel length in Japanese songs
- Acronyms and redundant spelling
- Need a blindingly good word, please
- Y as initial letter of a name in Polish or German
- What is it?
- Repeating the message
- Chinese translation of characters on a wall hanging
- his gang vs. the gang
- Serbo-Croat spelling
- English translation of SARFT Chinese film law
- Word for Phenomenon
- "Behind the door when the anoraks were being handed out"
- Question about whether a decimal fraction is singular or plural at WP:MOS
- Indo-European loans in Hungarian
- Gothic placenames
- Arabic error?
- Maźitakǘ from Caucasus mountains
- Looking for deverbal "reversible" adjectives that can take "-able"
- English grammatical question
- "Doesn't" vs. "does not"
- Watt =Vatio
- "irreversible" word pairs
- German translation help
- Translation into Latin
- When the name is evident from the description
- Antonym of Populous?
- Possesive proper nouns in the genitive
- Hungarian pronunciation
- Another Chinese reading question
- Pursue of happiness
- Reason for the closing of vowels in cont.-Westgermanic
- Cut out paper dolls = insane?