Wikipedia:Request an account
|The request an account process is severely backlogged. If you submit a request today, you can expect a response in approximately 4 months.|
Experienced editors interested in helping out with account creation requests may apply for access at Wikipedia:Request an account/Guide#Registering for use.
|Welcome to the request an account page|
To prevent the automated creation of Wikipedia accounts using bots or scripts, Wikipedia uses an image verification method (called a CAPTCHA) to assure that new accounts are being created by a real person. To further combat account creation abuse, Wikipedia also prevents the creation of new accounts with usernames that are too similar to other existing Wikipedia accounts.
If you have attempted to create an account but are having trouble with the CAPTCHA image verification step (perhaps because you are using a screen reader or a browser that does not support images), or if you have chosen a username that is too similar to an existing username, you can request an account be created for you.
To request an account using the 'Request an Account' process, please read and follow all of the instructions below:
Before you begin
- Review and understand Wikipedia's Username Policy, as any account request that is in violation of this policy will not be approved.
- Remember that you should only use one Wikipedia account. You are required to disclose all of your alternative and previously-used accounts in your request using the 'Comments' field. Any account requests that show evidence or the indication that you have ownership of an undisclosed account will not be approved. Any requests made with the intention of using the account as an illegitimate alternative (such to as hide edits or conduct, evade or circumvent blocks or sanctions, or cause disruption) will not be approved. Additionally, your attempt(s) may be reported, and may result in additional sanctions.
- Understand that this is not the place to request assistance with the deletion or recovery of any existing accounts. If you have forgotten your password, and you did not register your account with an e-mail address, then it cannot be recovered. Your only option is to create a new account and request a usurpation of your old username.
- Register an email address if you do not have one. You must verify your email address in order to complete your account request. Your account must also have your email address in order for it to be recovered in the event that you lose the ability to access it.
When you are ready to begin
- Click the "Request an account" link below and fill out all fields.
- Check your e-mail inbox for updates and further instructions regarding your account request.
- If your request is approved and your account has been created successfully, you will receive an automated e-mail from wikiwikimedia.org with your username and a randomly-generated password to your new account. You can use these credentials to log in, where you will then be prompted to create a new password.
- If there are problems with your request, you will receive an email with an explanation and the reason your account request could not be approved. You are welcome to submit a new account request using a different username.
Didn't receive your account update email?
We hope to process an account request the same day of its submission. However, it is not uncommon for requests to take 2-3 days depending on the work load and volume of requests currently pending review. In rare cases (such as server downtime or the sudden submission of an extremely high amount of legitimate account requests), requests may take weeks or even months before they are processed. Please be patient; your request will be processed as soon as possible.
Before submitting a new request or inquiring about the progress of your current request:
- Check your email's "spam" folder. Most often, the email was mistakenly flagged as spam.
- Verify that the account update email wasn't accidentally moved or otherwise triggered by any email filters or rules that you have set up for your inbox. Check all of your directories and sub-directories, and search for wikiwikimedia.org to see if it arrived.
- Did you request an account using an email address from Gmail? Your ACC request update may have been automatically filtered into one of the five default Category tabs that are enabled by default (usually the "Social" or "Promotions" category). Check each category and verify that the email wasn't automatically routed from your inbox and into one of them.
- Try recovering the account that you requested. If your request was approved and you just didn't receive the email containing your temporary password, you can have a new password generated and emailed to you by filling out Wikipedia's password reset form.
Are you ready to begin?
- If you need any further information, please ask at the talk page.
- To become an interface user who act on requests, please see the guide.