Wikipedia:Schools and colleges banned WP in 2007-2008
This is an essay.
It contains the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors. This page is not an encyclopedia article, nor is it one of Wikipedia's policies or guidelines, as it has not been thoroughly vetted by the community. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints.
The following lists some of the various bans against using Wikipedia as a reference source, by schools and colleges during 2007-2008. The reliability of Wikipedia articles was considered poor by many institutions in early 2007. Also, some considered Wikipedia's coverage of subjects as making research too easy for the student efforts. There have been many reports about the bans being considered by each school board or college (some webpage reports might not exist now):
- 26 Jan. 2007: "Professors To Ban Students From Citing Wikipedia - Slashdot"
- 04 Feb. 2007: "Wikipedia: Banned in Grade School, Relied on by the Courts"
- 13 Feb. 2007: "Colleges Publicly Ban Wikipedia Use For Papers - Digg"
- 14 Feb. 2007: "PBS Teachers | learning.now . Wikipedia Receives a Citation | PBS"
- 14 Feb. 2007: "U.S. senator: It's time to ban Wikipedia in schools, libraries"
- 15 Feb. 2007: "Neowin.net - U.S. senator: It's time to ban Wikipedia in schools"
- 15 Feb. 2007: "Ted Stevens proposes new law to ban Myspace, Wikipedia"
- 21 Feb. 2007: "A History Department Bans Citing Wikipedia as a Research Source"
- 27 Mar. 2007: "Several colleges push to ban Wikipedia as resource" (Duke Chronicle)
- 02 Apr. 2007: "College Departments Begin to Ban Wikipedia as Cited Reference"
- 21 Nov. 2007: "Education | School officials unite in banning Wikipedia | Seattle"
- 26 Nov. 2007: "Wikipedia banned in schools? - TechSpot"
- 27 Nov. 2007: "Banning Wikipedia at school: good idea or missed opportunity?" (arstechnica.com)
- 27 Nov. 2007: "Having A School Block Wikipedia Does Not Further The Cause Of Education"
- 28 Nov. 2007: "Ban Wikipedia in schools? | TechRepublic"
- 13 Jan. 2008: "University Of Brighton Professor Places Ban On Google And Wikipedia"
- 13 Jan. 2008: "Lecturer bans students from using Google and Wikipedia" (UK)
- 19 Jul. 2008: "Conceptions and Misconceptions Academics Hold About Wikipedia"
The above are just a few reports about banning the use of Wikipedia in schools and colleges. Although some institutions only banned citations linking to Wikipedia, others completely blocked all network access, for all grade levels, totally preventing access to the Wikipedia website.