Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/April 17
This is a list of selected April 17 anniversaries that appears on the "On this day" section of the Main Page. To suggest a new item, in most cases you can be bold and edit this page. Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before making your edit. However, if your addition might be controversial, or on a day that is or soon will be on the Main Page, please post your suggestion on the talk page instead.
Please note that the events listed on the Main Page are chosen based more on relative article quality and to maintain a mix of topics, not based solely on how important or significant their subjects are. Only 5–6 events are posted at a time and thus not everything that is "most important and significant" can be listed. In addition, an event is not generally posted this year if it is also the subject of the scheduled April 17, 2020 featured article or the April 17, 2020 featured picture.
To report an error when this appears on the Main Page, see Main Page errors. Please remember that this list defers to the supporting articles, so it is best to achieve consensus and make any necessary changes there first.
- 1080 – The death of Harald III allowed his brother Canute IV, who later became the first Dane to be canonized, to become King of Denmark.
- 1797 – French Revolutionary Wars: British Lieutenant General Ralph Abercromby and a force of 7,000 invaded Spanish-controlled Puerto Rico.
- 1969 – Sirhan Sirhan was convicted of the assassination of United States Senator Robert F. Kennedy.
- 1986 – Having supposedly been at war for 335 years without a single shot having been fired and no casualties incurred, the Netherlands and the Isles of Scilly declared peace.
- 2014 – NASA announced the discovery of Kepler-186f (artist's impression shown), the first exoplanet with a radius similar to Earth's discovered in the habitable zone of another star.