Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/August 3
This is a list of selected August 3 anniversaries that appears on the "On this day" section of the Main Page. To suggest a new item, in most cases you can be bold and edit this page. Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before making your edit. However, if your addition might be controversial, or on a day that is or soon will be on the Main Page, please post your suggestion on the talk page instead.
Please note that the events listed on the Main Page are chosen based more on relative article quality and to maintain a mix of topics, not based solely on how important or significant their subjects are. Only 5–6 events are posted at a time and thus not everything that is "most important and significant" can be listed. In addition, an event is not generally posted this year if it is also the subject of the scheduled August 3, 2018 featured article or the August 3, 2018 featured picture.
To report an error when this appears on the Main Page, see Main Page errors. Please remember that this list defers to the supporting articles, so it is best to achieve consensus and make any necessary changes there first.
- 1903 – Macedonian rebels in Kruševo proclaimed a republic, which existed only ten days before Ottoman forces destroyed the town.
- 1913 – A strike by agricultural workers in Wheatland, California, U.S., degenerated into a riot, one of the first major farm labor confrontations in California.
- 1929 – Jiddu Krishnamurti (pictured), believed likely to be the messianic "World Teacher" by Charles Webster Leadbeater, shocked the Theosophy movement by dissolving the Order of the Star, the organisation established to support him.
- 1940 – World War II: Italy invaded British Somaliland, capturing the region 16 days later.
- 2007 – Former Deputy Director of the Chilean secret police Raúl Iturriaga was captured after having been on the run following a conviction for kidnapping.