Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/June 12
This is a list of selected June 12 anniversaries that appears on the "On this day" section of the Main Page. To suggest a new item, in most cases you can be bold and edit this page. Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before making your edit. However, if your addition might be controversial, or on a day that is or soon will be on the Main Page, please post your suggestion on the talk page instead.
Please note that the events listed on the Main Page are chosen based more on relative article quality and to maintain a mix of topics, not based solely on how important or significant their subjects are. Only 5–6 events are posted at a time and thus not everything that is "most important and significant" can be listed. In addition, an event is not generally posted this year if it is also the subject of the scheduled June 12, 2016 featured article or the June 12, 2016 featured picture.
To report an error when this appears on the Main Page, see Main Page errors. Please remember that this list defers to the supporting articles, so it is best to achieve consensus and make any necessary changes there first.
Use only ONE image at a time
|; Russia Day in the Russian Federation||multiple issues|
|1964 – Nelson Mandela and other leaders of the African National Congress were found guilty for sabotaging the apartheid system in South Africa.||refimprove, and Mandela is featured on February 11|
|1991 – Members of the Sri Lankan military massacred over 150 Sri Lankan Tamil civilians in the village of Kokkadichcholai near the eastern province town of Batticaloa.||needs more footnotes|
|1994 – Former American football star O. J. Simpson allegedly murdered his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson.||Featured on June 17, date of Simpson's low-speed chase|
- 1776 – The Fifth Virginia Convention adopted a declaration of rights, a hugely influential document that proclaimed the inherent rights of men.
- 1864 – Union General Ulysses S. Grant pulled his troops out of the Battle of Cold Harbor in Hanover County, Virginia, ending one of the bloodiest, most lopsided battles in the American Civil War.
- 1889 – Runaway passenger carriages collided with a following train near Armagh, present-day Northern Ireland, killing 80 people.
- 1954 – Pope Pius XII canonised Dominic Savio, who was 14 years old when he died, to make him the youngest non-martyr saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1963 – African American civil rights activist Medgar Evers was murdered by Ku Klux Klan member Byron De La Beckwith.
- 1967 – The U.S. Supreme Court delivered its decision in the landmark civil rights case Loving v. Virginia, striking down laws restricting interracial marriage in the United States.
- 1978 – American serial killer David Berkowitz was sentenced to 365 years in prison for six killings.
- 1994 – The Boeing 777, the world's largest twinjet, made its first flight.
- 1999 – In the aftermath of the bombing of Yugoslavia and the Kosovo War, the NATO-led Kosovo Force entered Kosovo with a mandate of establishing a secure environment in the territory.
- 2010 – Sixteen-year-old Abby Sunderland was rescued after her boat was dismasted in the Indian Ocean while trying to become the youngest sailor around the world.
- 1381 – The first mass protest in the Peasants' Revolt began in Blackheath, England, caused by political and socioeconomic tensions due to the Black Death and high taxes as a result of the Hundred Years' War.
- 1899 – The New Richmond tornado killed 117 people and injured 125 others in the northern Great Plains of the United States.
- 1942 – On her thirteenth birthday, Anne Frank began keeping her diary during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands.
- 1987 – Cold War: During a speech at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate by the Berlin Wall, U.S. President Ronald Reagan (pictured) challenged Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!"
- 2001 – Robert Edward Dyer was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment for conducting a six-month long letter bomb campaign against the British supermarket chain Tesco.
- More anniversaries: