Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/June 13
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 313 – The Edict of Milan, an agreement between Constantine the Great and Licinius to treat Christians benevolently within the Roman Empire, was posted in Nicomedia.
- 1525 – Martin Luther married Katharina von Bora, defying the celibacy discipline decreed by the Roman Catholic Church for priests.
- 1881 – An Arctic Ocean ice pack crushed the USS Jeannette during its expedition to the North Pole.
- 1955 – Soviet geologists discovered a diamond-bearing deposit in Eastern Siberia, leading to the construction of the Mir mine (pictured), the first diamond mine in the USSR and the second-largest excavated hole in the world.
- 1983 – Pioneer 10 passed the orbit of Neptune, becoming the first man-made object to leave the proximity of the major planets of the Solar System.