Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/June 2
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 455 – After having removed Petronius Maximus from the throne, Vandals led by Genseric entered Rome and sacked it for two weeks.
- 1805 – Napoleonic Wars: A Franco-Spanish fleet recaptured British-held Diamond Rock (pictured), an uninhabited island at the entrance to the bay leading to Fort-de-France.
- 1919 – First Red Scare: Anarchist followers of Luigi Galleani set off eight bombs in eight cities across the United States.
- 1967 – German university student Benno Ohnesorg was killed during a protest in West Berlin against the visit of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran, sparking the formation of the militant group 2 June Movement.
- 1994 – The Royal Air Force suffered its worst peacetime disaster when a Chinook helicopter crashed on the Mull of Kintyre, Scotland, killing all 29 people on board.