Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/November 7
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1665 – The London Gazette, the oldest surviving English-language newspaper, was first published as the Oxford Gazette.
- 1885 – Construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway, the first transcontinental railroad across Canada, concluded with the driving of the "last spike" in Craigellachie, British Columbia.
- 1916 – In the congressional elections, Jeannette Rankin became the first woman elected to the United States House of Representatives.
- 1949 – Oil was discovered in the Caspian Sea off the coast of Azerbaijan, leading to the construction of Neft Daşları, the world's first offshore oil platform.
- 1987 – Singapore's first Mass Rapid Transit line was opened (train pictured), beginning with train services between Yio Chu Kang and Toa Payoh stations.