Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Translation task force
|This page is currently inactive and is retained for historical reference.|
Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. To revive discussion, seek broader input via a forum such as the village pump.
Coordination efforts have moved to Wiki Project Med Foundation. Details here are for historical purposes. Efforts are ongoing there.
The Healthcare Translation Task Force – brings high quality, easy to understand health information into as many languages as possible.
It was originally created as a joint venture between WikiProject Medicine, Wiki Project Med Foundation, and Translators Without Borders. We translated together over 1,900 articles in more than 90 languages! This translated content is getting about 40 million views a year.
Over 5.7 million words of Wikipedia medical content were translated by volunteers in the TWB workspace during the 2011-2018 period . Our heartfelt thanks to the many Translators without Borders contributions to this first stage of the project.
At the beginning of 2019 this project is being relaunched primarily within the Wikipedia - Wikimedia environment, making use of a native translation tool and a translation management tool made available by ProZ.com.
Texts are translated where they are needed the most; currently: diseases, medications and drugs, anatomy, nutrition, sanitation, and women's health. To see our list of articles for translation check out: our summaries.
for health information!
and partly by personal contribution from Dr. James Heilman
- 1.^ Also known as the "Medical Translation Project"
- Heilman, JM; West, AG (4 March 2015). "Wikipedia and medicine: quantifying readership, editors, and the significance of natural language". Journal of Medical Internet Research. 17 (3): e62. PMID 25739399.
- "Translation Page Views".
- "Page views in category Medical_articles_translated_from_English on all wikis with translated articles". stats.wikimedia.org.
- "Translators without Borders". Translators without Borders.
- "Languages: Translating Health Content Without Borders". 30 August 2012.
- Tran, Mark (11 April 2012). "Translators fight the fatal effects of the language gap - Mark Tran" – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Antidote for a stigma".
- "Making Wikipedia's medical articles accessible in Chinese – Wikimedia Blog". blog.wikimedia.org.
- Henderson, Francoise (2 October 2014). "A Fight for Awareness in the Age of Globalization".
- "Doctors and Translators Are Working Together to Bridge Wikipedia's Medical Language Gap · Global Voices". 27 July 2014.
- "Doctors and Translators Are Working Together to Bridge Wikipedia's Medical Language Gap – Wikimedia Blog". blog.wikimedia.org.
- "Leveraging the Web to Overcome Challenges in the Developing World". 5 July 2012.
- Tran, Mark (11 April 2012). "Translators fight the fatal effects of the language gap - Mark Tran" – via www.guardian.co.uk.