Articles suggested here must already be featured articles that have not previously appeared on the Main Page. Articles do not have to be suggested to appear on the Main Page. Requests must be for dates within the next 30 days that have not yet been scheduled.
There may be no more than ten requests on this page for specific dates, and four requests for nonspecific dates. If a section is full, the lowest-scoring nomination in it can be replaced by one with a higher point value (as calculated according to the instructions below), or you can wait for a vacancy, or ask on the talk page for advice.
Today's featured articles (TFAs) are chosen by the TFA coordinator, Bencherlite. Requests are not the only factor in scheduling the TFA (see Choosing Today's Featured Article); the final decision rests with Bencherlite. Please confine requests to this page, and remember that community endorsement on this page does not mean the article will appear on the requested date.
It can be helpful to put the request, with the estimated point score (see below), on the talk page pending template up to 1 year before the requested date. This does not guarantee selection, but does help others see what nominations may be forthcoming. Requestors should still nominate the article on this page during the 30-day timeframe.
If you have an exceptional request that deviates from these instructions (for example, an article making a second appearance as TFA, or a "double-header"), please discuss the matter with Bencherlite on his talk page in the first instance.
Check TFAR nominations for dead links – Alt text
Featured article tools:
The point score for a nomination is found by adding the scores for each of the following six criteria:
Age (time between promotion to featured article and requested date)
- Between one and two years: 1 point
- Two or more years: 2 points
Timing (article's relevance to requested date)
- Date relevant to article topic: 1 point
- Anniversaries in multiples of 10 or 25: 2 points
- Anniversaries in multiples of 50: 4 points
- Anniversaries in multiples of 100: 6 points
- Subject is underrepresented (only for articles in the following categories at WP:FA: Awards, decorations and vexillology; Chemistry and mineralogy; Computing; Education; Engineering and technology; Food and drink; Geology and geophysics; Language and linguistics; Mathematics; Philosophy and psychology): 1 point
Main page representation
- A similar article has not been TFA:
- Within three months of requested date: 1 point
- Within six months of requested date: 2 points
- Deduct points if there was a recent similar TFA:
- Within two weeks of requested date: −3 points
- Within one month of requested date: −2 points
- ^ Not applicable for non-specific date nominations. One point is awarded if there is an obvious and significant connection between the article and the date, for example Earth on Earth Day. Multiple points are only awarded for the anniversary of an event receiving significant coverage in the article or, in a biographical article, for the anniversary of a major life event. Note that just because an article might be appropriate for a date, for example Chinese language on Chinese New Year's, that does not mean a point should be awarded.
- ^ The bonus point applies to significant contributors who have never had any FA on which they have significantly worked appearing as TFA, whether run after a request, or scheduled directly without being requested. This point is only available to significant contributors upon request; other nominators who are not significant contributors to the article do not need to be concerned with this point.
- ^ "Similar" is defined differently than the categories at WP:FA: two dissimilar articles may be grouped under the same category. For example, two film articles would be considered similar but an article about a newspaper and one about a film may be both grouped under Media but would not be considered similar. Conversely, similar articles may be in different categories at WP:FA: for example, Atom and Noble gas.
The article must not have been previously featured as Today's Featured Article.
If you are not one of the article's primary editors, please notify the primary editors of the TFA nomination, or if primary editors are no longer active, add a message to the article talk page.
Nominations are ordered by requested date below the summary chart. More than one article can be nominated for the same date. The archive of previously featured articles is here. If there are already ten date-specific requests or four nonspecific requests, and the article you propose to add has more points than one of the articles already requested, you may remove a request and add yours (explaining in your post the claimed point total) according to the following:
- If a requested article has at least five declarations and over 50% oppose votes (counting the nominator's declaration as a support) at least 48 hours after the request is initiated, it may be removed regardless of its point value.
- If item 1 doesn't apply, then if there are two requests for the same date, the request within that date with the lowest number of points may be removed, regardless of how many points articles outside that date may have.
- Otherwise, replace the request that has the least points. If there is a tie, choose the one with the highest percentage of opposes. In case of a tie in oppose percentage, replace the one with the fewest support votes. If support is equal, remove the article with the latest date. If the tied articles are for the same date, remove any one of them, at your option.
Write a blurb using the same formatting as the ones used on the main page; see
. Specifically: one paragraph only; no reference tags, alternative names, or extraneous bolding; trim birth/death dates to year only; link to the article title in bold and as the first wikilink in the blurb; total length of blurb when previewed (including spaces) as close as possible to 1,200 characters maximum. Add a suitable free-use image if available; fair use images are not allowed. Use the following syntax for the image:
Nonspecific date article:
Up to four articles may be nominated for use on an unspecified date, rather than being requested for a specific date. TFAs proposed for unspecified dates may be replaced by articles which have higher numbers of points, according to the following rules:
- Points will be calculated per the usual (above) system, without including the points for "Timing".
- The article's targeted dates are the first seven days without scheduled articles after its nomination. Points based on age, similarity and main page representation are calculated as if the article's target is the first unscheduled day. If the article is not selected as a TFA by the seventh unscheduled day, it will be deemed rejected and may be replaced by any eligible article, regardless of points. It may also be removed for having a majority (by at least five) of oppose votes 48 hours after nomination.
- Community members may support or oppose, as they do for other nominations.