- 1 The script doesn't work
- 2 The script doesn't do what I want it to
- 3 How do I use popups?
- 4 Using the script on other wikis
- 5 Removing the script
The script doesn't work
Help, the script doesn't work!
I installed the script according to the instructions, but nothing happens when I hover over links!
- Clear your browser cache and try again. If this doesn't work, repeat it until it does. Remember to clear the caches for each browser on each PC you use.
How do I clear my browser cache?
- See Wikipedia:Bypass your cache.
I cleared my cache and the script still does nothing
- Disable all filters, (e.g. ad blockers like PithHelmet, AdBlock and so on) and browser extensions (such as greasemonkey), and try again. Don't forget to clear your cache!
- Maybe there's a conflict with another script. See #The script sort of works, but badly. You could also try making a null edit on your .js page and clear your cache again.
- Maybe you've uncovered a bug. Please make a note of your browser, browser version and operating system and submit a bug report.
- Is Adblock Plus or similar browser plugin installed? Since Wikipedia doesn't have ads, you can set the filter to not modify or affect Wikipedia pages. For example, in Adblock Plus for Firefox, add the rule
- The combination of Adblock Plus and proxy server could also cause the script to stop working. Try connecting directly to the internet.
Menus don't work
Why don't the menus work for me?
- Your browser may not be CSS-compliant enough. You probably want to give up on the menus and set popupStructure='original', or get a more modern browser.
The script doesn't do what I want it to
Popups appear in edit mode
Can you please disable popups in edit mode, as they actually seem to get very jumpy and annoying when editing?
- You want the popupOnEditSelection option, see Wikipedia:Tools/Navigation popups#Options.
When hovering over links near the bottom of the window, the popups are mostly hidden so I can't read them. What's the solution?
- Either shift-drag the popup upwards, or use your mouse scrollwheel to scroll the page downwards.
Why is this, and how can I prevent it?
- Maybe it's a bug. However, some errors are known annoyances but are apparently harmless. Those of the form X is not defined where X is something like pg, log or popupsReady can be safely ignored. If anyone can fix this, please tell Lupin.
The script sort of works, but badly
What's going on?
- Note that the script may conflict with itself if it is loaded twice.
I changed my options, but nothing happened
How do I use popups?
How do I revert using popups?
- If you hover over a diff link or a link to an old revision, you can revert like this:
- Note that if you hover over a diff link, pressing revert will always revert to the older of the two revisions being compared.
Using the script on other wikis
How can I use the script on other mediawiki installations?
$wgAllowUserJs = true; $wgAllowUserCss = true;
- Make sure you have short URLs enabled (see mw:Manual:Short URL on how to do this)
- Make sure that your script extension is .php (not .php5). The script doesn't appear to work without them.
- You need to have the API enabled on your mediawiki installation. API is enabled by default.
- The script should now work when you clear your cache.
Installing for all users on another wiki
Removing the script
How do I remove the popups?
That didn't work.
into your browser's address bar while logged in and viewing a page on Wikipedia.
I did that, but it's still not going away
- There must be some sort of caching going on. Possibly your browser is caching the file and not telling you, or maybe the Wikipedia servers are being naughty. You could wait a day or two and see if it clears itself up. (Or if you're feeling impatient, just try the next step).
I waited but it's still there