|This WikiProject is defunct.
Consider looking for related projects to help.
If you feel this defunct project may be worth reviving, please discuss with related projects first. See the WikiProject Guide for advice on reviving an inactive WikiProject. Feel free to change this tag if the parameters were change in error.
If you are looking for a tutorial to Wikipedia, please see Wikipedia:Tutorial
This page is an effort to make complicated processes on Wikipedia easier for everyone by writing easy-to-understand tutorials. Is there some aspect of editing Wikipedia that you're really good at, and can explain easily to other people? Then write a tutorial for it - just describe the process in a simple way, make a page for it within your userspace, and add it to the list below. If you need any examples, take a look at some of the finished tutorials. And you can always ask for feedback on the talk page.
Don't think you're good enough at anything to write a tutorial? Think again! Sometimes the easiest day-to-day things of editing Wikipedia can be pretty challenging if someone isn't used to them. Wikipedia help is always useful. Below are some possible ideas for tutorials, but don't let them limit you:
- Creating templates
- Creating useful lists as articles
- Using mathematical notation in articles
- Using popups to edit more effectively
- How to write a bot (if you're feeling ambitious!)
- Using footnotes
- Using complex wikimarkup
- How to link to things other than articles (categories, templates, interwiki links, etc.)
- If you personally need a specific tutorial and believe that the content therein would be useful to others, add the suggested topic here.
- Tutorial on writing bots Alethiophile123 20:14, 17 November 2006 (UTC)
- Formatting a page-some editors can modify their pages to the extremes..take DD for example. -Zacharycrimsonwolf 14:05, 12 June 2007 (UTC)
Tutorials in process
- If you're currently writing a tutorial, or are considering writing one, add it here.
- How to make a disambiguation page. -- Natalya 18:58, 1 November 2006 (UTC)
- Writing an article: Where to start... --Ed Trick? or Treat? 01:46, 2 November 2006 (UTC)
- How to create a Category. -- Thε Halo Θ 10:35, 3 November 2006 (UTC)
- Typesetting mathematics formulas with TEX and HTML. —Mets501 (talk) 21:32, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
- How to make an infobox. -- Selmo (talk) 21:44, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
- Pick one: creating templates (beginning & intermediate level), adding the Wikipedia 1.0 assessment system to a Wikiproject; using citation templates. May think of more topics later. Would appreciate suggestions about which one seems most needed.--Ling.Nut 22:34, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
- Using footnotes is closely related to using citation templates & I could do this too, but these pages already exist in one form or another... again, feedback appreciated.--Ling.Nut 23:54, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
- There already exists a page about the assessment system, although it needs a bit more of fleshing out: see Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Guide/WikiProject#Assessment. Titoxd(?!?) 23:32, 10 November 2006 (UTC)
- Creating templates (I'll take care of the entire tutorial, presuming Ling.Nut decides not to do the other two sections). -- tariqabjotu 01:24, 6 November 2006 (UTC)
- How to deal with a FAC (i.e., how to deal with opposes etc.)... Maybe a coupla others... ;) Spawn Man 02:08, 6 November 2006 (UTC)
- How to effectively prosify a list: When paragraphs could do better than a list and whether content needs to be added to or taken away from in the prosification process. Also mentions good prose: the production of which is a process at which I believe that I am particularly adept. --Gracenotes T § 17:59, 6 November 2006 (UTC)
- Haven't done anything yet, but I'm considering writing a tutorial on writing tutorials - a guide on expository form, structure of a tutorial, and example creation. This project will be amusing in its recursivity, and that's why I want to do it, but I think it'll be a real help to this program if there's a guide to making tutorials! :) Nihiltres 00:26, 8 November 2006 (UTC)
- Currently writing a guide to Wikicode, just to make it less scary to new users. X [Mac Davis] (DESK|How's my driving?) 01:08, 8 November 2006 (UTC)
- How to write a WP:GA. Moreschi Deletion! 16:01, 22 December 2006 (UTC)
- When you've created a tutorial, add it to this list!
- Formatting signatures, by Smurrayinchester
- Creating simple tables, by Smurrayinchester
- Creating and using images, by Smurrayinchester
- How to Archive a Talk Page, by The Halo
- Using subpages, by Gray Porpoise
- DYK tutorial by Dark jedi requiem
- A very basic editing tutorial - by Tawker
- Wikipedia:Harvard citation template examples Ling.Nut (talk · contribs)
- Wikipedia:Anatomy of a template -- tariqabjotu
- User:DarknessLord/EA TUT Thing -- D-Lord, the boyfriend of Wikipe.
See also: Wikipedia:Help Project - mid-2012 overhaul
|User guides to ...|
|In the wp:Signpost|
|The published book, online|
▼ Wikipedia tutorials (6 C, 113 P)
► Wikipedia how-to (4 C, 368 P)
► Wikipedia tutorials redesign (5 P)
► Wikipedia guides for specific groups (5 P)
► Wikipedia training (10 C, 7 P)
► Wikipedia video tutorials (2 P)
► WIKISOO (12 C, 17 P)