- 1 Image addition bug
- 2 Recent performance analysis?
- 3 trying to upload photos to the wiki and it is not working
- 4 PgDn jumps to near the beginning
- 5 Only have a save shortcut on the final save dialogue
- 6 How do I see a preview of my work when editing in wikisyntax mode? Can't find it.
- 7 Rajesh shah
- 8 Needs link to these "usual tradeoffs..."
Image addition bug
|Description||When uploading a photo in visual editor via add media, only 50% of the picture is uploaded|
|Intention:||Was attempting to upload images to be included in the article Partizanskaya metro page.|
|Steps to Reproduce:||#First Go to visual editor and press "add media"
Issue was reproducible and in total two images were tried, both only 50% of the image was uploaded
|Results:||50% of image uploaded see this image history|
|Page where the issue occurs||image image2 look at the history of both images.|
|Web browser||Chromium 60.0.3112.90|
|Operating system||Arch Linux|
|Workaround or suggested solution||Upload the image to the commons first and then use it in visual editor rather than trying to upload whilst in visual editor.|
- Strange. You were uploading the same versions of those files each time, right? Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 19:22, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
Recent performance analysis?
This is a bit of a generic complaint but it seems that Visual Editor performance has noticeably decreased during the last months or year, especially when loading large articles with tables. At the same time Visual Editor seems to hog every last bit of processor ressources while loading such pages - to the point where everything else freezes for several seconds. Admittedly my PC is utter crap (Windows XP, 2x1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Firefox 52.0.2), so I probably have only myself to blame ;). (1) But has there been any recent research in Visual Editor performance especially for low-end systems? (2) And are developers still working on performance tweaks? Just curious, any info or links to recent research would be appreciated. GermanJoe (talk) 12:28, 3 September 2017 (UTC)
- @GermanJoe: It seems that on average, the load time has consistently gone down, even for the bottom 5% worst performing user agents . However, that also incorperates the fact that people generally tend to update to faster machines over time, so i'm not sure what the trend is when you would pin that to one specific non-updated machine. It is also true that Firefox is generally a slow browser when it comes to VE, and that generations of machines using XP, are probably never going to run VE fluently. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 11:04, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
- The team is talking about a proper performance audit during the next quarter. I don't know yet if they'll get it approved, etc., but it is something that they thing that it's time to check. AFAIK nobody is explicitly working on performance right now (although it's something all of them keep in mind). Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 19:24, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
trying to upload photos to the wiki and it is not working
- User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 9460.73.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.134 Safari/537.36
PgDn jumps to near the beginning
|Description||PgDn jumps up|
|Steps to Reproduce:||#Edit the page
I have seen this many times
|Results:||The focus shifts to the first subhead|
|Expectations:||The page would scroll down|
|Page where the issue occurs|
|Web browser||Happens on Chrome and Firefox|
|Operating system||Windows 10|
|Workaround or suggested solution|
Only have a save shortcut on the final save dialogue
- User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 9592.94.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.114 Safari/537.36
When saving an article, there isn't a first "Alt+S" save shortcut, like the one when the final save dialogue loads. These two shortcuts should be largely the same.
How do I see a preview of my work when editing in wikisyntax mode? Can't find it.
- User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.113 Safari/537.36
- @Snapdragon66: you have to click "Publish", and then in the dialog that pops up, it's the 2nd button at the bottom left. It's a bit confusing indeed but there is already a ticket for the developers about this confusion. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 18:16, 22 September 2017 (UTC)
- Hello @Ashika shah:, if you would like to post article-related feedback, please use the article's talkpage instead (probably Talk:Rajesh Shah) - but you should provide a published reliable source for any information you want to get changed or added. I'll post a few additional links with some basic information about Wikipedia on your user talkpage. If you have further questions, the WP:Teahouse is a good forum to ask for Wikipedia-related assistance. GermanJoe (talk) 19:55, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.113 Safari/537.36
RedBird 14:36, 25 September 2017 (UTC)